Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Biffes

Biffes New Member

just installed em. running crash free since.... 2 minutes ;)

infos will be shared :)

2. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

5 hours and no info from ya... that only means 2 things...

1. Your rig has fallen - RIP and we'll see ya once u'll fix it.. OR
    2. You are now playing the s#$t out of COD4 and u've forgotten us :(

Please respond...

3. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

In my opinion, I doubt it is the monitor driver which is usually only an INF file that windows uses to better define the monitor in question. There are also usually ICC files to define the color profile. In any case these are not active drivers that execute code, rather name tags and parameter lists that windows uses to set up the display.

On the otherhand, it is more than possible that the EDID coming from the display device is bad or contains weird info and the monitor driver (inf) simply provides good or more detailed info fpr windows to use.

So it is certainly worth the attempt and may cure issues for some users.

Anything that cures a TDR problem is a good thing.

BTW, if installing the monitor drivers helps please post the make and model of the monitor in question and also a url to the drivers if possible.

---------------------------*-----------------------------

On the personal front I recently upgraded from 3870 to 4850 , with the required driver update to support the 4850.

My TDR looping issue persists. Unchanged as far as I can determine. Also disconnecting the DVI panel stops the TDR.

I am now more convinced than ever that, in my case at least, the display adapter and driver are not at the root of the problem.

But, I will continue to have an open mind until an absolute cure is determined.

4. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

OK, I tried the modified driver by DNA but that brought nothing new. Still TDRs in abundance....

5. Cliffer

Cliffer New Member

I get can't my games to start with these drivers, usually comes back with a hardware or direct3d not found error message.

Anything I missed out here? I uninstalled my previous 8.6 hotfix drivers before installing the DNA Vista drivers.

6. Biffes

Biffes New Member

COD4? pah! quakewars rules, m8 ;)

so here is my update: got a crash some minutes ago. so no joy with dna. sorry mates. :(

7. sparkies

sparkies New Member

it's still ok after 2 days... when before it would fail in a matter of hours...

8. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

Well I know from my past experiences, trying to solve the TDR’s, I can clearly say the following:
    1. Using more than one monitor caused more TDR’s and crashes.
    2. Using two monitors not being the same type, was worst than using two of the same types.
    3. Using one monitor having both the Digital and Analog cables connected, caused TDR’s and crashes, but less than if having two monitors connected.

4. Having just the Digital cable connected to the monitor caused TDR’s and crashes but less than if both the Digital and Analog cables were connected.

5. Having just the Analog cable connected to the monitor caused TDR’s and crashes but less than if using the Digital side.

6. Removing my LCD and replacing it with an old Digital CRT monitor, gave me no TDR’s or crashes up to 6hrs.

Now the funny side of things, that I have not mentioned in all my previous posts, maybe because I was to frustrated with this issue, is this:

7. With both types of monitors, having just the Digital cable connected and using a 640x480 resolution gave no TDR’s or crashes, in both gaming or working on my system. However, since I could not really do too much with such a low resolution, I did not test this further than 2 days time.

Maybe this information may help you further in your investigation CATALYSTCATCHER.
    B.M

9. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

Okay 10x for trying dude :)

10. mrps2man

mrps2man New Member

Out of curiosity, has this ever happened to anybody in Crossfire before? In making the database page, it never even occurred to me to add an option of a second card since I've never seen that happen.

I'm only asking because I dropped in a second HD3870 about 4 days ago alongside my existing one (both cards have been known to produce TDR errors alone) and I've not had a single issue since. At the moment, I have 4 monitors hooked up (two 22" displays, one 17" display and one 15" display). I'm not in Crossfire mode at all, I'm just letting both cards run independently.

I used to have an HD3450 in place of the second HD3870 that is in there now and I still had problems at least once a day, usually more. Very strange. I'm tempted to tear out the second card and run standalone without changing the driver install to see if the TDRs stay away. I'll give it a fifth day without errors and do that then!

11. Raduque

Raduque New Member

Here's something weird. Just recovered a rolling TDR about 5 minutes ago. I pulled my DVI and power cables (primary monitor) and Vista shifted to calling my VGA cable'd LCD my #1 panel.

The TDRs stopped after I pulled the DVI cable. They RESTARTED when I plugged in the DVI cable - even though the monitor had no power!

I'm getting tired of this. Nothing helps it. I'm now runnign windows frakin classic mode, hopefully it'll stop this nonsense.

Edit: on the plus side, some of the visial elements do seem a bit snappier. I miss my transparent sidebar, though. =(

12. mrps2man

mrps2man New Member

Yet Another Working Fix!

I'm pleased to announce that today I've not had one TDR for a full week and have maintained full functionality; no extra software or anything!

As I mentioned on the last page, adding a second CrossfireX compatible GPU (A second HD3870) and reinstalling the driver stopped my TDR problem completely.

I am now running the single 3870 with my 3450 again and I have yet to see one TDR, rolling or otherwise. I did not reinstall the driver on purpose to see if the the feature set installed with CrossfireX cards allowed the system to work even if one of the cards was removed and/or replaced. Thus far, this has been the case. Since I've only had my 3450 in for two days now, its not totally definitive, but I will leave it in here for at least a week to fully confirm my theory. I'll then reinstall the driver in this hardware configuration and expect the TDRs to return. If not, I'm perplexed, but this is my working theory for the moment.

And again, I'll ask, has anybody ever seen a Crossfire-enabled platform exhibit this TDR issue? Personally, I have not seen even one occurrence in such a configuration.

If my theory here is correct, then the difference between a driver install on a CrossfireX enabled system and a non CrossfireX system is where the source of the error is, which isolates it very significantly. Fingers crossed!

--Corey

EDIT: I've updated my ticket with ATI to reflect the information I've provided here. Since it has not yet been reproduced internally, I can only assume that they are running their systems in the most complex configuration possible (e.g. in a CrossfireX configuration). Hopefully we can get this reproduced internally as well while we're at it...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  13. Gigirizzi

Gigirizzi New Member

I had two 3870x2 in crossfire x and had loads of TDRs.

14. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

anyone here have tried DNA drivers? with the TDR patch?

15. Oy Vey

Oy Vey New Member

I eventually found the culprit some months later - I had replaced the 800XL with a Sapphire x1950 but the system continued to deteriorate and TDMs became more and more frequent. I replaced the RAM in both systems (Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, two separate RMAs later, same issue) with some no-name DDR2 533 I picked up on sale at a local shop, and both have been rock-solid since.

A question tho - I have a 22" samsung wide aspect lcd hooked up to my sapphire card via DMI. Has anyone else experienced an issue where, when powering on the computer and booting into the OS, the monitor reports that the frequency/res is out of range and you have to forcibly switch between digital and analog to get it to display the desktop? It only happens specifically on this card and through a series of driver updates.

16. Jaco175

Jaco175 New Member

Hello all.
    I have the same error, tough i had it fixed by running msconfig and specifiang the cpu numbers but apparently its back but now in a different variety, my system freezes when gaming.

Worst part is that for me this error is somewhat new, with my previous x1900 this was not an issue but now is just annoying.

So the question is, is this an Vista error or also happens in XP?
    If its Vista i give up on trying to fix it and go back to XP.

Thanks

17. reggie14

reggie14 New Member

I don't think they've included the TDR patch. It's still on their Todo list.

18. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

One of my neighbors had that issue and is caused by the driver not detecting the right interface such as Digital/Analog.

To fix this issue you need to head into the [Catalyst Control Center] and in the monitor section, select the [clone display] option. This will clone the digital/analog signals to your monitor, so that when you push the monitor button to switch between digital and analog, windows can display the correct display.

This also fixes the issue when your monitor switches automatically to analog, when in DOS (boot time) and back to digital/analog when booting into in windows.

B.M

19. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

mmm... nope - they have a TDR patch...

something to do with the registry so it seems... anyone here is in a testing mood?

20. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

I am - show me the stuff....:)
    Still waiting for my nVidia card, so I have no news about that project for the moment.