Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

That still does not explain all the thousands of peeps that switch cards from ATI to Nvidia and have not gotten any TDR’s!
    Four of my coworkers and three neighbors of mine, including me, switched over to Nvidia and have not got one TDR issue.
    I tell ya in my opinion and I am being truthful when I say it, is that Nvidia and Microsoft has something going on.

I know that they are scratching each other’s back. I read an article way back and it just makes me wonder.

B.M

2. reggie14

reggie14 New Member

So, several people have proposed various methods for reducing or eliminating TDRs. Are any of them effective at reducing TDRs on dual monitor systems? It's hard to keep track of what kinds of systems everyone has, and the posts with proposed solutions usually don't say whether or not they are running dual monitors.

3. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Check my specs in my sig, and to the left :D

I've been running dual monitors for a LONG time. Started doing that back when it took 2 PCI cards to do it :w00t:

4. Chyort

Chyort New Member

the underclocking works....I have noticed tdr's seem to happen moreso when I scroll quickly

5. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

Question: In the registry one can enter a new DWORD (32-bit) value or a QWORD (64-bit) value. Should people like me that runs a 64 bit OS create the QWORD (64-bit) value, or shall we still use the DWORD (32-bit) value???

6. Shii

Shii New Member

I eliminated this trouble by underclocking my CPU from 2400MHz to 2200MHz. (I have Athlon 64 X2 3800+ (Toledo) with base speed 2000MHz) It seems, that overclocking by 20% caused TDUs in some games (Mass Effect, Oblivion)

Comp spec:
    Athlon 64 X2 3800+
    ASUS A8N-E
    Samsung DDR 2Gb RAM (2 modules)
    PowerColor Radeon x1950Pro 256Mb
    2 HDD, Audigy SE, AverTV 509
    Thermaltake PurePower 460W
    Windows Vista SP1
    Catalyst 8.5

7. Hardin

Hardin New Member

I think I finally solved it. I have ddr2-1000 so I set it at that in the bios, but I decided to try using the default bios settings then I put the 4850 back in and I haven't had any problems so far. I played Need for Speed ProStreet earlier and I'm playing wow right now with no tdr problems. I can't say I've absolutely solved it yet but it looks like I did. This has been a very long and painful experience for me and I hope I learned something from it.

8. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

Pffffff......I am so exited here right now. Just picked up my nVidia card and have recently removed the ATI drivers, so I am eager to see if the nVidia card can solve my problems.
    Man I didn't recall how massive and heavy the HD2900 Pro is until I lifted it out now.

First impression is how much quieter the Gigabyte 8800GT is than my ATI card, even I wasn't bothered by the ATI sound either :lol:
    It's not with a light heart I do this since I prefer ATI cards over the nVidia cards. And I know I usually did hate the nVidia drivers.

I'll keep you informed......:taste:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  9. Raduque

Raduque New Member

Good luck - I had TDR errors with a 7900GS.

10. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

Good luck dude. I hope it relieves your TDR problem, without a plethora of conversion difficulties.

I am completely TDR free for almost 2 weeks, and the only change was a DFP swap. I am still very suspicious to say the least.

CC

11. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

HALLELUJAH BROTHERS !!! :D:D:D:D:D

My problems are gone, gone, gone, gone. Been gaming for 3,5 hours without a single quirk. That has never happened before. I am so happy!!!! Finally I can game without having to fear what's around the next corner......:w00t::w00t:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  12. Heraklitus

Heraklitus New Member

So you just switched your monitor out?

I'm pretty close to going for Rayline's solution, although it kills me to pay twice for something.

13. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

Well, I didn't pay twice actually - I have RMAd the 2900 Pro.

14. Wingman69

Wingman69 New Member

I also have this issue with the 8.6s on my HTPC. It has a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H Motherboard with a 780G/SB700 chipset and HD3200 Video. The very first time I would start VMC after a reboot and try to play a file or live tv, I would get the message that my video driver quit working. I could then close and open VMC and play any file or watch live tv just fine. Once I restarted the PC, I would get the error again the first time trying to watch something. I finally saw this post and went to 8.5 and have not had the problem since. This was a fresh install of Vista 32 Ultimate. I formatted in between drivers since I was having other issues. Now if I could just get my HDMI audio to quit disappearing on reboot sometimes.

15. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

Glad you made the switch, I know I did not what to give up on the ATI card, but what can you do.

No sense in putting up with TDR’s, under-clocking, registry tweaking and driver swaps all the freaking time, when you can actually buy something that works and with less headaches.

Enjoy your new mood man!
    B.M

16. Heraklitus

Heraklitus New Member

Lucky! I tried RMAing my 3870 but Sapphire would only replace the card for an identical one. I spent days explaining to them that that would be no help. . .

17. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

Well, I haven't received any decision on my RMA yet, so the same could possibly happen in my case as well. But here in Norway, we first RMA to the shop where the card was bought, and then these guys take it further with Sapphire, so anyways it is something I do not have to participate in too much....:)

18. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

That is very typical for RMA. When things are working well you get a card back that has been thourougly tested as soon as your card appears on the incoming side. It is quicker for the customer. The other plus side is that even if we miss a new or subtle HW failure, you should no longer experience the issue.

19. Chyort

Chyort New Member

ok...the underclocking trick works for me BUT not as well as disabling one processor..., i still get occasional TDR's with the underclocking the only diffrence is I don't get bsod, and the system recoveres, before I'd get the BSOD and the system would reboot entirely, I'm honestly considering a nvidia card myself I really don't want too but what can ya do...run a partially disabled system for a card that niether ati or microsoft can resolve to make run with the current os?....wish now i had researched this a bit more before buying this card...atleast I learned a lesson.

20. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

I sympathize, And I don't think anyone who finds a solution on the other side is doing the wrong thing. The TDR problem history is littered with all nature of solutions that work for a few people. Even this thread includes users who converted to ati to resolve their TDR issue. Please keep in mind that there are many using the same card as yours who do not experience the TDRs.

Certainly take what ever action best serves your situation. No apologies are required. Personally, I wish we could do more but as we have no magic bullet it is difficult to know what to do. And impossible to make a case for any action plan.