Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

Just to keep you updated on my situation, and how it goes with my nVidia/ATI swap:
    I have now been gaming for 4 days - and still no TDRs. I'm quite happy as you might understand....:)

2. axmt

axmt New Member

I hear you. You are not wrong. And I apologize if I sound like I am dismissing your findings and thoughts. Apparently it's a bit of a character flaw on my part. Or so my family tells me. My Jury is still considering the case :)

Yes, I also see the "Lesser components" as an effective under clock or downclock. Essentially you backed off and seemingly slowed down the system with very good results for stability and overall system usefullness.
    To The First part of the above quote NP. The Fact that the problems Can't be reproduced on demand led me to look at MEMORY, System Allocated Memory Addressess, and How The Computer hardware and VISTA handles them.
    To the Second Part of the above quote, I felt the Need to Point out that I Actually Did a Hardware Swap to Lesser hardware. I had tried to UC all the hardware ( lowering Clock Speeds ) But that either did not work out right or led to issues that were even more undesirable than the TDR's themselves. The Lesser hardware has lower clock speeds as a Standard.
    Now 2 things I will point out For EVERYONE - SPD ( Serial Presence Detect ) for the Ram is a CRITICAL thing that EVERYONE I talked to From M$, Intel, Diamond Pointed out as a Item of Concern. IE: If your RAM does not support SPD ( part of the JDEC Standard) then you may be just Begging for problems. While the SPD does deal with the TIMINGS of the RAM it's PRIMARY JOB is to Regulate The VOLTAGE of the Ram.
    And secondly, after all the Phone Calls and Questions, M$, Intel and Diamond ALL said that the Issue ( TDR's,system freezes , ETC ) had the hallmark signs of Probable OVERHEAD TO BOTTLENECK which is actually more common than folks think.

The way it was Explained to me was this. If the RAM runs Faster than the CPU Information gets "Stuck" in the RAM ,thus tying up The RAM and making it unavailible for other use, if you were to try and create action with a Program at This Point You would likely get a SYSTEM ANOMOLY ( IE: Hang Or TDR )
    So Either you need RAM That Runs at A Slower Speed than your Frontside Bus or you need Both alot more Ram AND a Faster Processor.
    M$ told me that some folks may find some relief from this issue by Increasing their VIRTUAL MEMORY ( Space on the hard drive that acts Like RAM )

This is something to note to be sure as The Fastest INTEL Processor for the LGA 775 Socket is the QX9770 with a Core Clock Of 3.2 Ghz and a FSB of 1600Mhz. Yet We have DDR2 and DDR3 that can MATCH or Exceed the FSB Speed.

So My scenario was CPU - Clock 3Ghz FSB 1333Mhz and DDR3 1333Mhz. My Virt. Memory was 8045. And I was getting the hangs and TDR's.
    After My Switch around My Setup is CPU - Clock 3Ghz FSB 1333Mhz and DDR3 1066Mhz.
    I also changed the Vid Card From a 3700 series to a 3400 series and that changed the clock and bus speeds there also.
    NOTE - the OS Controls HOW these Speeds are USED.. So while it appears that their IS a Hardware Threshold Issue there is also an Issue in How th OS handles this.
    The OS issues may find resolution ( as it appears to have for Catalyst ) then again one's problem may Be a hardware threshold issue that the OS has no Control over.

3. victor297

victor297 New Member

All I have to do is watch a youtube video on full screen and I get the error. I have radeon xpress 1100?

4. Bone_Daddy

Bone_Daddy New Member

No dice for me. =( I'm beginning to think the Radeons are faulty. May go back to stable 8.5 drivers. The thing is, I'm only having this issue with C&C3 Kane's Wrath.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  5. Sinfulpride

Sinfulpride New Member

Dual monitor woes

Hey guys I've been watching this thread for a long time hoping for a solution to dual monitor tdr's. Mine usually happen when surfing web or playing lame games like spider solitaire. Serious gaming seems ok. I'm running ultramon to control my 22" LCD (acer al2223w) and my 17" crt (Mitsubishi diamond plus 70). When I do get them they usually roll and crash my system. I've just recently set a hot key in ultramon to disable second monitor. Last time I had tdr roll I hit the hot ket and bammo it stopped. When I hit again to restore second monitor, the tdr resumed rolling. So basically I could go back and forth by hitting the hot key. I hope this test can help enlighten the dual monitor problem.

6. Heraklitus

Heraklitus New Member

Interesting--this is perfectly describes my version of the problem to every detail and I have the exact same 22" Acer monitor, but my second monitor is an old Daewoo 17" LCD, not a CRT.

Hmm. . . .

7. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

BUT...I run two monitors with NO TDR's...after using the E-D@N fix...maybe it's because I have 2 CRT's instead of LCDs???

That's what is so danged spooky about this whole TDR issue, NOTHING seems to be a cure all. What works for one doesn't work for someone else. For every fix there is an exception.

It's almost as if God is up there looking down and saying, "THIS one I will smite with TDRs"

8. Heraklitus

Heraklitus New Member

I guess in this case I'm just wondering if the particular monitor brand, or perhaps the combination of using a newer LCD via DVI and an older monitor via VGA could be contributing to things.

9. sparkies

sparkies New Member

dont fiddle with TdrLevel

Hi,

just a warning here for anyone tempted to fiddle with the TdrLevel registry setting (in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers), like setting it to zero to turn off Tdr detection.

I did this on my ASUS F3Sa-008G laptop (Mobility Radeon 2600 HD) and instead of TDRs I got situations where the system was still running (still playing the MP3, picking up emails) but the graphics was frozen, no mouse cursor visible. This is with a mobility modded Catalyst 8.6. Happened both with external monitor and without. When you read the Microsoft documentation you appreciate that Tdr is meant to avoid exactly this error, so thanks to Microsoft.

Sofar the only 'cure' seems to be to turn off Vista Aero.

Sparkies

10. Rayline TWB

Rayline TWB New Member

Well, I am now well into my first good week of non-TDR gaming, so I think I'll take that as a clean answer that my nVidia/ATI- swap did settle my problem after all.

I'll drop by from time to time here, to see whatever clever solutions you might be able to locate on this TDR subject.

I wish you all the very best luck in solving your problems guys. It's been a pleasure being part of this forum and this particular thread. Thank you.

11. Raduque

Raduque New Member

Well, now, I have something kind of interesting to report. Might help a bit.

My primary monitor is a Dell FPW20 on DVI and my secondary is a Soyo 15.4 on VGA. When I last reported my rolling TDR experience, I mentioned I pulled the DVI cable. What I didn't realize is that when I did that, Windows switched my analog LCD to being "Monitor 1" and my digital display to "Monitor 2".

Since then I have re-enabled Aero and have not had an issue yet. Not once single TDR, much less a rolling one.

[10:28:54] : uptime[Unknown Windows NT Kernel OS (6.0 - 6001) uptime - 1w 2d 16h 49m 10s]

If anybody else wants to try this (and runs one analog and one digital LCD), pull your DVI cable till windows re-assigns your taskbar and desktop icons to your analog monitor, then reconnect the digital monitor. Once you get display properties up, you should notice that your analog display is now "Monitor 1" and the digital LCD is now "Monitor 2".

If that doesn't work, try pulling the DVI cable and rebooting with only the analog LCD, then reconnect the digital LCD and they should be re-arranged.

Let us know if it works!

12. sparkies

sparkies New Member

or you could go to the Catalyst Control Centre, Displays Manager, right-click onto Desktop 1 or Desktop 2 and then choose "Swap Displays"..

13. Heraklitus

Heraklitus New Member

Interesting--I'm going to try swapping out my primary and secondary monitors when I get home from work tonight and see how that goes. If that actually worked I wouldn't be totally satisfied, but it might tell us something.

Fingers crossed.

14. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

CONGRATULATIONS. I am glad you have found relief and a functioning solution.

Thanks for contributing.

Forum threads can be pleasant and useful when everyone is open to discussion. Not so pleasant when they turn into a flame session.

I am still mystified as I have only seen one TDR in 3 weeks now. Almost time for me to backtrack and tempt TDR fate.

15. Raduque

Raduque New Member

I actually tried to "Swap Displays" in the CCC to put them back the way it was, but it wouldn't actually swap them. Windows still places the big "1" on my analog display, and "2" on my digital display. I don't think that'll work the same that way.

16. sparkies

sparkies New Member

Not sure if this indeed something different, but on my laptop I just got the dreaded TDR after swapping the displays a couple of days ago (the only way I can swap them is via CCC...) So while this might cure the problem on your machine, for me still the only thing that prevents the TDR is to turn off Aero.

17. Co_OL

Co_OL New Member

For me also turn off AERO no problems, turn on AERO directly TDR's with an external monitor but with only my laptopscreen it works perfect.

I have an ASUS A7K laptop (TL-60, Radeon M HD2600 256MB)

BTW with more memory (3GB installed) it does longer before i get TRDs, maybe a hypermemory problem? can i turn off hypermemory?

Co_OL

18. Raduque

Raduque New Member

Yea, I'm using a desktop. I don't think CCC does the same kind of swapping that Windows itself does - I can swap the displays in CCC, and the displays do swap (IE: taskbar and whatever on the analog LCD, and sidebar/winamp on the digital LCD), but when I "Identify" the monitors, the big "1" still gets superimposed over my analog LCD, and the "2" on my digital one.

19. Innuendo2K5

Innuendo2K5 New Member

I'll go ahead and post my experience with an "atikmdiag stopped responding" error. I'll be brief as first of all, I solved the problem rather quickly and secondly, it doesn't seem to be the same type of error the rest of you have been having.

Since I'm patiently waiting for Nephalem I've still got some old hardware, i.e. Prescott P4 @ 3.4 GHz, ATi X1900XTX, 3GB RAM running 32-bit Vista.

Last week I was in a mood to play a game so I popped in The Witcher. For those who have played it know that on launch it plays a cinematic movie or two then you get a couple more movies using the game engine rather than rendered cinematics.

After the rendered ones would play my screen would go blank & the monitor would lose sync. I could hear the audio of the game engine generated movies, but no visuals. Ending the game in task manager would return me to the desktop with the dread atikmdiag error. I fiddled with a few settings, opened my case and totally reseated my video card along with the power connector and rebooted. Tried the game again and same results. Upgraded to the 8.7b drivers and same results.

Needless to say I was freaking out and I truly have sympathetic feelings towards every one of you who has seen the dread atikmdiag error.

Anyway, in desperation, I figured I'd start toying with the CCC settings and see if that fixed it. Luckily, my problem with atikmdiag errors was fixed with the very first setting I changed. Adaptive Anti-Aliasing was turned on with the slider set to Quality. I turned off Adaptive Anti-Aliasing and The Witcher then worked perfectly.

I don't expect this solution to work for anyone else, but I post this to let everyone know that the problem doesn't always mean there's something wrong with your hardware, at least in my case.

Hopefully, CatalystCatcher can take my post here, though, and turn it over to the driver team so this bug can at least get fixed sometime in the future.

20. ibScary

ibScary New Member

well...

Hey guys this is my first post on this site entirely, but I have been following it up from the last 2 days after I installed my first graphics card. I can honestly say like most of you, I probly reacted in the same manor as I did by trying to update anything and everything that could fix it. But to my dismay, nothing has seemed to work so far and I'm kinda happy/sad that im not the only one experiencing these set backs:(. Usually its something that I have messed up lol. But i keep hearing about turning off AERO...what is that and how can I do it?:confused:

The worst part of this whole scenario, is that this is my last day to do anything before I become buisy for the next 2 weeks then school starts...:sigh:

But anyways, I have really grown to like this forums just from reading it and hope to return many times.

Scary Kid