Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

The 3G+ install is probably not the source of the TDR problem, but you never know.

Even though it is a new laptop, I would check internal temps and such. We know that some users TDRs are linked to some kind of a physical problem and the TDRs will stop as soon as that problem is fixed. Unfortunately we also have the mystery TDRs that occur far to frequently even though the HW in the system checks out fine. That is what is so frustrating and why this is such a long thread.

I don't think disabling areo will reduce your game performance, but because disabling areo is simple you can easily arrive at an answer yourself. Try it and see if you like it. If you don't like it turn aero back on.

2. Ardillakilla

Ardillakilla New Member

It's been one week since I installed an nVidia GTX 260 videocard and I haven't had any video driver crashes. The glitching on my secondary monitor that was present with the ATI 4850 is gone as well.

3. Raduque

Raduque New Member

I'll see your anecdotal and raise you one:

My fullscreen 3d graphical corruption went away when my 7900GS did. I also had TDRs with my 7900GS and my 6800nu (less severe with the 6800nu).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  4. Willystylz

Willystylz New Member

I posted earlier that just running the driver only with no CCC installed resolved my instability. But a couple days ago I decided to give CCC another try and have found my system to be perfectly stable as long as ATI Overdrive is NOT enabled. As soon as I enable it (even though the clock settings are still at stock 625/993) i have problems with my games crashing. I realize this may not resolve the issues others are having but have found at least on my machine that for some odd reason simply enabling Overdrive causes my system to crash. Hopefully this tidbit of info may help a few others out there.

5. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Ti > IT

Similar experience as Willystylz.
    I have never tried to overclock any of my ATI cards but the other day, for the fun of it, i tried Overdrive. After a couple of minutes i got a recovery error.
    I'll stress too that this is just an FYI.

6. bullets

bullets New Member

I've just filled in the database.

Has there been any Fix for this issue yet? I've
    been reading threads dateing back from 2007 with this
    problem but have yet to see a fix for it.

I've just bought a brand new PC with Vista 32 on it.
    Everything was working fine and I was gaming for the last few
    days with different games and mostly Lord of the Rings online.
    (Never had any issues with XP on my old machine ever!)

Last night the game started crashing on me with this error:
    Display driver AtiKmDag stopped responding and has recovered

I've read countless threads so far on this subject with Microsoft saying its Hardware,
    People blaming Memory/Power supplier/Aero/Drivers/Catalyst software etc.

From Just turning on the computer.....
    I can reproduce the issue at will! If I load Lord of the rings online (in windowed mode)
    at the character selection screen you can rotate your character around the place
    to look at it (before entering the actual gameplay) If I rotate the character fast
    for a few seconds the game crashings with the Atijmdag error everything.

(I used to be a Whizz at Computers years ago but my knowloedge
    is about 10 years out of date so am not uptospeed with all the latest
    technology and buzz words so sorry in advance if I sound stupid with my
    posts)

I have windows UAC and Aero turned off.
    Accer 223w LCD at 1680 x 1050 Resolution (single screen)
    Antec Nine Hundred black miditower, (Loads of cooling fans)
    Corsair Powersupply 850W Black, ATX/EPS,
    MSI P35 NEO-F, P35, Socket-775, DDR2,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.67GHz
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400C5DHX DDR2, 4096MB
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3,
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2
    NEC DVD±RW burner AD-7200S, 20x, SATA,
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit.

7. Biffes

Biffes New Member

just some new stuff for the ati-techies:

i finally got another tdr-roll yesterday. i connected my tv via svideo(!)(+SCART) and watched a movie. the tv was running @ 25hz (impossible to run it sync with tft ;) ). the tdr-party started after watching 15mins (a new record).
    so whats the bottom line: my tdrs seem to be EDID or signal independent. it has to be a pure software related refreshrate bug. (i think i have an winXP deja vu ;) )

8. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

yo have someone here tried the 8.6NW drivers of VisionTek?

some forums are reporting better stabilty with them...

9. bullets

bullets New Member

Have already posted my issue and specs 2-3 posts ago.

Last night my Brand new PC was going nuts again.
    I noticed the ATI 4850's GPU was running between 75-80 C at idle.
    Lord of the rings online crashed after about 10 mins of gameplay.
    Mass effect did not crash but started getting Red Blocky Artifacts
    Farcry hung completely and did not recover.

It appeared to be getting more frequent and worse as it would no longer recover
    to desktop where I could restart the app. It got so bad the whole PC locked up and
    needed to re-boot.

I had been submitting the Logs via vistas report issue feature
    and up until last night it kept telling me no solution for the problem.
    But out of the blue last night it came back with a mesage from Microsoft saying
    it was a Driver issue??? Thought MS claimed it was a hardware issue.

Anyway at the moment I uninstalled ATI CCC completly and I downloaded
    the latest Driver only and installed that on my machine. Things improved a bit after
    that and I had no game crashes last night. Fingers crossed issue may be solved
    (I doubt it though)

~B

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  10. wrennard

wrennard New Member

I have had the exact same experience with my ATI 4850 card. Until yesterday my system would continually crash when under laod (i.e. gaming situations) 5 minutes into the game giving the BSOD and then restarting.

As bullets mentioned, it wasn't until yesterday that windows recognized it as a ATI driver error that caused the crash. As we have all figured out by now. I have read this entire discussion, and two days ago decided to do three things.

1) Install the hotfix discussed earlier in this discussion KB953186
    2) I disabled Windows Vista Aero and set it to classic mode
    3) set my the refresh rate in CCC to the recomended (optimized) refresh rate my monitor suggests.

I know not very diagnostic to change all three at once. But as of yet, I have not had a problem with the card, and have run CRYSIS for more than 5 hours last night alone, and today for a couple more. System seems stable!

As a side note, everything in CCC is at it's defaults including the fan speed setting where some are using the workaround to speed it up.

So Far so good!

11. AFCA JUNKIE

AFCA JUNKIE New Member

Hi there....

Im also one of many people who had the atikmdag / R300 error.
    But instead during games i got the message after watching youtube movies in fullscreen.
    After a couple of seconds my screen got black and i had to press ESC to get back to the desktop.

People who had the same problem have to update the flashplayer to "Flash Player 10".
    Download HERE and follow the steps.

It worked on my laptop and i now can see youtube movies in fullscreen.

Dont know if this will work with games, but it worked for the youtube movies.

Ciao!!

12. Maapee

Maapee New Member

Hi,
    Having the same atikmdag problem.
    I was wondering if any of you are also experiencing "artifacts" before/after a crash (bright colourd random dot patterns/lines)?
    I'm not very experienced with all the terminology and I heard these kind of errors are usually due to a faulty card. But I'm also simulatneously getting this atikmdag error.
    I've switched of AERO, but I still got the crash, allthough this time there was no pop-up with the error, only the triangle with the exclamation mark on the bottem of the screen. Guessing it's still the same problem though....

13. Maapee

Maapee New Member

By the way, I've got Vista 32 bit SP1, and a HD3750. No more then 2 months old, everything worked perfectly for the first 2/3 weeks or so, then the artifacts came along with the crashes.

14. bullets

bullets New Member

yeah I get the bright coloured artifacts too only noticed it on one game though.

I thought I was sorted out but now I cant pick my native resolution
    1680 x 1050 on either Vista settings or when I tried to reinstall the CCC I cant
    pick that resolution either. I tried all the lower resolutions and everyone of them
    the Fonts/Text was all blurred and was getting shimmering on the top of my LCD
    sometimes.

Pissing me off now as not sure what to do? I cant spend the next few months
    trying to find a way around the issue? If its the graphics card itself thats not at
    fault I dont think the online store which I bought it will take it back and even if
    they do I will still have same issues with a replacement?

~B

15. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Well, at least they are getting closer to the truth :D

Having been a programmer back in the days of IBM mainframes, and having had extensive experience in de-bugging assembler language programs...I'm betting that "deep in the bowels" of Vista that there is a numeric field that is going into overflow, a number is going negative when it shouldn't, or something similar.

The only thing that we have seen so far that we can state with 100% accuracy is the those of us with TDR problems are using Vista.

Some of us with <insert video card here> have them, others with the same card don't.

For those of use that have TRD's, <insert fix A> cures it while for others <insert fix A> doesn't but <insert fix B> does :duh::duh::duh:.

16. Spyre

Spyre New Member

Its pretty easy to add a resolution to the driver INF file if its missing.

17. Stratoliner

Stratoliner New Member

Please note that this is a working theory – I’ll need a few people to test it on a number of configurations. If possible I would like to see Dell and ATI offer some input. Sorry it’s so long, I felt it necessary to explain the logic instead of my theory.

After receiving my new Dell XPS Core 2 Due E8500 with an ATI Radion HD3870 I began receiving the “Display Driver ATIKMDAG has stopped responding” error. Contacting Dell support they had me update drivers, BIOS, shuffle RAM, and turn off Aero. Dell replaced my graphics card, my motherboard and finally the entire system. I was still getting the “Display Driver ATIKMDAG has stopped responding” error. Dell techs support is at their wits end. ATI is also not much help but they did suggest that I [FONT=&quot]Set [FONT=&quot]ATI EXTERNAL EVENT UTILITY[/FONT] service to [FONT=&quot]Manual[/FONT]. [/FONT]I have (not sure what it was suppose to do)…still no fix.

After two months it occurred to me that this is NOT a hardware problem. Looking on the internet people with this issue have computers with every shape, size and configuration including ATI and Nvidia cards. The common dominator is Vista. The biggest variable is the CPU and GPU. I have found that two systems exactly same function the same. Meaning two same systems will work or not work based on the CPU/GPU mix.

With Vista Microsoft introduced a modified XP feature called “GPU Hang Detection and Recovery” – this is the feature that actually generates the “Display Driver has stopped responding” message. Digging deeper I discovered the following from a Microsoft document:

“If graphics hardware causes system hangs, Windows Vista attempts to ameliorate the end-user experience by resetting the GPU and restoring the desktop to the state it was in when the hang occurred.” (GPU Hang Detection and Recovery)

Per Microsoft this process is successful 93% and the time – the other 7% results in a crash which explains why sometimes our systems recover and other times we get bluescreens.

My theory is that the logic behind this feature combined with an improper CPU/GPU mix is causing the problems. Again per Microsoft:
    “Windows Vista allows the GPU 2 seconds to finish a work item that should typically take a few milliseconds. If the work item is not completed within 2 seconds, Windows Vista initiates steps to reset and recover the GPU.”

I believe that if a faster CPU is mismatched with a “lesser” GPU (graphics card) the 2 seconds is not enough time, in some cases, for the GPU to respond and Vista prematurely initiates a reset.

My initial tests started with an Intel Pentium D @ 3.4Ghz with an ATI Radion X300 and dual monitors. This system has NO problems. However the same configuration with a faster processor (Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.4Ghz) generates the “Display Driver ATIKMDAG has stopped responding” error within 3 minutes of using Microsoft’s World Wide Telescope software.

Per Microsoft’s I found that I could override the 2 second delay with a quick registry change. When I did the crashes stopped. With a very heavy graphic load I can get the “Display Driver has stopped responding” message to appear but very infrequently. I am guessing that I’ll need to tweak the delay time or swap out the X300 for something faster.

For my home system (Dell XPS Core 2 Due E8500 with an ATI Radion HD3870) I would get the error with in 1 or 2 hours of using the machine. I have not seen the error since making the registry change.

Timeout Detection and Recovery of GPUs through WDDM
    To make the change I had to add the REG_DWORD registry key “TdrDelay” to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers and set the value to 5 for 5-seconds.

Reboot – that did it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  18. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Welcome to DH Stratoliner.

That fix has been covered here before. But, with as many posts as this thread has, I know that it's hard to read all of them.

Anyway, I tried that particular fix and I still got the TDRs.

What DID cure them was going into MSCONFIG/BOOT/ADVANCED and putting a check in NUMBER OF PROCESSORS (and setting that to 2), and a check in MAXIMIM MEMORY

Your post is a perfect example of what I said just a couple of posts up:

19. SuperDave

SuperDave New Member

Hello, new member here, just wanted to post to say that I uninstalled Flash Player 9 and installed Flash Player 10 as was suggested by AFCA JUNKIE. Amazingly it worked for me! No more atikmdag error on my Compaq R4000 laptop (w/Radeon Xpress 200M) while watching movies on Hulu. Not sure WHY it works now, but very glad and I want to thank you, AFCA JUNKIE!

20. Biffes

Biffes New Member

it is good to see, that people still working on solutions.
    i will give the registry hack and the adobe player a try.

Stratoliner, i changed my dual core 915 to e6850- still had the tdr problems.
    Running on sync refrehrates was the only "fix" that worked on my system. but as i said, i will give your registry value a try.

btw: getting artifacts seems to me something like a heat/power issue.