Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. rychas

rychas New Member

The problem is not Aero; this only aggravates the real problem, because Aero makes use of some 3D properties of the graphic display, therefore making the system more likely to crash.

In fact I still get BSOD's and TDR's with Aero off. Can someone please try to use a 3D app (like 3D Max, Blender, Sketchup) and tell me about any problems even without the external monitor? Because it's absolutely impossible for me to use such 3D programs without getting a bsod after 5 or 6 minutes.

2. eggmancs

eggmancs New Member

Tried everything to fix this error. Disabling Aero made it abit more stable - instead of crashing within 20seconds in crysis it could sometimes last 4 minutes. Nothing worked consistently until I took out a stick of my RAM. Now running only one stick of 2GBs but its completely solid now.

Try taking some RAM out if you can afford to do so...

3. alphadog

alphadog New Member

Well, looks like I join the atikmdag club. :tears:

Just built a new system: Intel Q6600 (65nm) @ 2.4GHz (no OC yet), Biostar TPower I45, 4x1GB GSkill DDR2 5-5-5-15, two Visiontek ATI 4870s (no OC yet) with Catalyst 8.9 drivers, Corsair 750W, Vista64, dual monitors.

When I first built the system, I had one card in. Ran without a single crash for two weeks, including extended sessions of gaming (Spore, GRID, Vegas) and some benching (Vantage). System was often on through the night.

Added a second 4870 and... well... lots of BSODs. In game, not in game...

Drivers have been cleaned out (driver sweeper used) and re-installed multiple ways.

Have tried the msconfig boot fix, dropping the CPUs to 1 core, instead of using 4. That did seem to stabilize the system a lot, at the cost of three useless cores...

Did not change or pull out any memory. Have not tested memory, but system was quite stable before second card was added.

Is there any solution? Will there be one? I can't seem to tell who's to blame...

4. eggmancs

eggmancs New Member

try running the new gfx card on its own - it might have the bug...

Dual monitors and 4 sticks of ram will make you very prone though.

5. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member

May I ask a few details on this fix?

1. About "Maximum memory" - if I have 4G of physical RAM, despite using Vista 32-bit, I should set 4096MB, correct?

2. Do you check "Detect HAL" and "Make all boot settings permanent"?

3. Just to make sure: I'm using a dual core Athlon X2, I should set "Number of processors" to ONE, correct?

Thank you in advance.

6. jack_faust

jack_faust New Member

This is a repost from (AMD Game Forums - ATI ATIKMDAG Error) but I viewed this thread in fixing the issue so I thought I'd add it ehre too :)

"Hi there,
    I have just built a new PC with Vista 64 on it and as soon as catylyst 8.9 went on I started receiving these errors. My screen would flash and sometimes recover but mostly just BSOD with the atikmdag featured within it.
    I looked at tempretures, power and possible HD corruption first then I followed the msconfig fix not expecting it to work (how can it?) but yes it did. I set my processor to 2 & memory to 4096, upon next boot up I was playing crysis in high with around 40fps! Was very happy.
    I have not received the error again but I did just make the change last night.
    Specs:
    Antec v2 Fusion
    4gb OCZ DDR2 800 cl5
    AMD 5000+ 64 black edition
    Thermalright passive CPU cooler
    Asus brand HD 4850
    Asus M2A-Vm HDMI
    Samsung 750gb 32mb cache
    Vista 64 Home Premium SP1
    I hope this helps others in some way [​IMG]"

So in answer to the above, try 2 processors first see if that works if not drop it down to 1. I did not check anytrhing else apart from memory or processor.

Also anyone any ideas as to *why* this works? It's baffled me...!

Cheers,

Jack

7. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

Removing 1 memory stick as a solution could indicate a bad ram stick but might imply that memory timing in the system may not be perfect. (Check system bios updates and setting) Or possibly the mobo simply does not like running memory in dual channel mode.

It is also possible that downclocking the system ram may allow 2 sticks to work reliably.

To narrow it down will probably take some time and pretty serious tweaking and testing.

Test the second card by itself to ensure the system (and new card) are as stable as it was in the first few weeks.

Also consider that installing a second card will alter memory allocation in the system. It also gives the graphics driver more to do. So if you find that removing some memory changes the problem you should look closely at memory timing. Also be sure to test out all the ram sticks.

Disabling cores, essentially slows the system down but also affects the relationship between timing of system events.

As an experiment, you might consider re-enabling cores and downclocking the CPU and memory.

BTW: you guys both seem to have pretty nice systems and I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with them. But before we can talk about a solution we have to know exactly where the problem is. Unfortunately the TDR event does not give a lot of clues.

8. eggmancs

eggmancs New Member

My system is error free on memtest86 and for Prime95 large FTT torture test for 12hrs+. Ive slackened the memory timings and increased the voltage - it did not make a difference for the atikmdag error.

It seems to be an error between graphics card, motherboard and memory communication not the memory alone.

My system specs:
    C2D e8400
    Asus P5Q-Pro
    2x2Gb of OCZ PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Reaper HPC Edition Dual Channel DDR2
    Powercolor 4870x2

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  9. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

Yes, many system issues are due to the corrupt data that is transfered between system memory and the graphics device or some other device. The reason AGP systems were so touchy is that the AGP bus (system <> GPU) has absolutely no error checking capability. Not even parity.

So problems could be sys ram or graphics card OR, data being corrupted during the bus transfer. This applies to PCIE or AGP or VLB or any bus.

We have no way of telling the actual root of the problem, so you adjust 1 item at a time and see how it affects the stability. Items to consider, in no particular order. (Do the easy ones first based on knowledge and experience.)

- System BIOS controlled memory timings and overall CLK speed (A new mobo, may need a bios upgrade)
    - GPU memory clocking. And the engine clock.
    - Reducing sys ram. Going from 4 stick to 2 sticks may improve things because less stick reduces impedance on the memory bus. (Too much impedance reduces the speed that any bus will operate reliably) It may be possible to tweak a memory voltage as little to overcome the effects of increased impedance.

As you can see, this kind of detective work can be extremely complicated and confounding. The aim is not to trash anybodys claims about performance. Rather to tweak your system to be fast and completely stable so you are satisfied. Keep in mind that virtually all PC hardware is aimed at the masses and an average configuration rather than the enthusiast who will easily configure his system, way beyond what the manufacture thinks the masses will need.

10. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

1: Yes.

2: I did not, but other's have done that and it worked too.

3: No. Set it to the number of processors/cores that you have. In your case 2.

11. Raduque

Raduque New Member

In my case, the problem is Aero. It's the only time i get TDRs. I've never gotten a TDR in a game or benchmark app.

12. eggmancs

eggmancs New Member

The system is at stock speeds. All settings are on "auto" detect. Ive changed them to the manufactures settings were they do not match without changing the error crash. Ive updated the motherboard bios (1004 to 1304) which didnt change anything. Increased NB and memory voltages seperately and together - doesnt help.

All drivers are up-to-date including PCIE bus drivers. Tried all versions of ati drivers (8.5 to 8.9 and the new 8.10betas). Tried the drivers with and without CCC, with Rivatuner and with ATT. Tried disabling Aero, tried changing boot setting for memory and cpu with detect_HAL ticked and unticked in msconfig. Changed fan speeds, changed clock speeds on the gfx card including slight perminant o/c and u/c to take off PP profile switching. Taken off Catalyst AI and changed it to Advanced. Tried everything! Tried reinstalling vista multiple times. Vista has all available updates.

Somethings work in combination to lessen the problem and reduces crashes but they still happen frequently.

The only thing that takes away the problem is removal of one ram stick - which isnt a permanent solution.

Dont know what to do....:confused:

13. dawny

dawny New Member

yups.. me too... i use x48 dfi lanparty ddr 3, ram corsair and vga card ATI HD4870 Crossfire. I try everything until i am stuck. And atikmdag stopped responding error still showing. I dont know what i must do again. This VGA card i buy just one week a goo...:mad:

14. goaty

goaty New Member

Any room left in the "atikmdag error" club? I'd like to apply...

Anyway, posting the contents of my ticket sent to ATi, Gigabyte, Sapphire and a few other forums:

"My specs:

Gigabyte EP35-DS3R;
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400;
    Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512MB DDR5;
    Transcend JetRam 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz;
    CoolerMaster RealPower M700 52A@12v;
    Vista Ultimate x64 fully updated;

I'm randomly getting "Display driver atikmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered." when card is under stress. It always recovers, never experienced a BSOD or anything. Sometimes it takes 5 seconds, sometimes up to a half an hour.

Things I've tried:

- upping voltages in BIOS and tweaking memory timings;
    - monitoring card's temps, they don't go over 60 Celsius but still getting driver recoveries;
    - clean Vista install;
    - updating OS/drivers;
    - flashing card BIOS (fixed another issue when the system would lock up when playing older games, the TDR problem persisted);
    - removing 1 stick of RAM;
    - downclocking RAM;
    - testing other driver versions (all versions from 8.6 - 8.9, including 8.10 RC2) with driver sweeps inbetween every new driver installation;
    - installing only display driver (no CCC);
    - attaching an additional fan blowing above the card/SB heatsink, fearing that it might be my SB overheating;
    - getting a replacement card (experienced the same with my first card, same thing after replacement);

Additional notes:
    - memtest/Orthos show no errors after hours of testing, so I rule out mobo/RAM compatibility as a reason;
    - using my old card 6600GT doesn't produce such problems, so I rule out PCI-E slot being faulty;
    - after disabling TDR in Vista through registry, I experience system (screen) lockups instead of a TDR message, but, a funny thing that I noticed: I tried shutting down the computer by pressing the Power button trying to avoid manual reboot and suddenly my cursor appeared on screen and I could move it around (the frozen screen remained in backgrounds). Unfortunately, the system didn't respond to anything after so I had to manually reboot;

Things I'm suspecting:
    - possible mobo/card compatibility;
    - a driver problem;
    - Vista problem (haven't tried XP still, but, according to some people, even if such problems don't appear in XP, it doesn't mean that XP is the solution to the problem since XP as an OS is, allegedly, "more fault-tolerant" and I would be only avoiding the problem);

Any suggestions would be welcome."

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  15. eggmancs

eggmancs New Member

dawny - think there is a new bios out for your motherboard which has fixed some issues for other users with 4870x2's. Give it a go.

Link

16. len1x

len1x New Member

I'd like to say that I installed Xp 64 as my 2nd operating system ( before 2 days ).. and it's stable as a horse. not an error!

17. simland

simland New Member

So, I've read a bit and I figured I just toss this out there in case anyone can give me advice.

I've got a Visontek 4870, Vista 64bit, 8gbs of ram, E8400.

Everything runs fantastic, except when I play WoW. For some reason, only in WoW I get an atikmdag driver crash. Sometimes it just causes the screen to go black and "reboot". Other times it will freeze the entire system. This can happen after 10 seconds of being ingame or 2 hours. Any ideas?

18. mscrivo

mscrivo New Member

Hey guys,

I have a different twist on this problem. I just built a HTPC system with an ATI 780G based motherboard. It has 2GB (2x1GB) sticks of Kingston DDR2 1066MHz RAM. There are no additional addon cards in the system, only an LG Blu-Ray writer and it's running on an Antec 430W power supply. I've installed Vista Ultimate 32-bit, with SageTV for TV and PowerDVD 8 for Blu-Ray playback and not too much else.

The system is completely stable except for when I run SageTV to watch TV and use the PowerDVD MPEG decoder to decode HD over the air Channels. I use the PowerDVD decoder since it makes use of the hardware acceleration built into the Radeon 3200 HD. In this mode, my system will crash with the dreaded ATIKMDAG.sys BSOD. It usually shows the pop-up box first saying that it has recovered from a video error, but then a few seconds later, the screen will go black and the BSOD appears. If i use the built in SageTV decoder which doesn't use hardware acceleration, I can watch TV for hours and hours with no problems at all. I'd use that mode and be done with it, but the CPU usage is high and the picture is not as smooth.

So in my case, it's clearly the UVD acceleration that's causing the problem. I don't play games on this system because it's too slow for that, so I have no idea what happens in games, but the above scenario is the only one that causes it on my system and it can happen anywhere between 10 mins of viewing to 2 hours of viewing TV, but it always happens without fail.

btw, the output is through HDMI and the resolution I'm using is 1920x1080.

I've also tried underclocking the video chip in the BIOS and it made no difference.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks,
    Michael

19. macbiter

macbiter New Member

my sony laptop with 3450 does this when im watching a MKV file, randomly. its really pissing me off. never again will I buy ATI laptop, first time ive bought one powered by ATI as I heard the IQ was great.

Nightmare.

20. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Interestingly enough ive seen this exact same problem with windows media player on vista with the MKV codec and videos (he has a 3450 as well). it seems to happen randomly, I have my friends laptop to look at, if I manage to find a solution to the BSODing ill let you know. been playing with it all day on and off and it seems to do this every so often. Ive tried using mobility modder on newer drivers and it doesnt appear to help.