Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. simland

simland New Member

I will provide an update on my situation. I'm dumb. V-Sync did nothing to help the issue.

I really have no idea what the fix could be. Low resolutions, no sound, ultra low graphics settings and v sync off seems to provide stability for an indeterminate amount of time, but the driver ends up crashing sooner or later. WoW is just...well wow. The new patch didn't seem to help WoW at all. I cranked all the graphics up and got a crash within 10 minutes.

All I can do is keep on keeping on. In the mean time crysis runs at great FPS and has no issues other than saving my game at a checkpoint takes forever.

2. lordtomaso

lordtomaso New Member

Hi guys,
    same thing here, I usually have the error once per day, and it usually goes to blue screen once every week. So, all in all, not that bad (at least, better than some folks here).

Anybody installed the Catalyst 8.10?

3. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member

This is worth a try, I've set it to 5 secs and I've got a recovery instead of BSOD.

Atikmdag crash. Is there a fix? - Page 4 - Guru3D.com Forums

Microsoft has a tweak for the Vista driver recovery. I set the delay back to 5 seconds, from the default 2seconds. Which means Vista won't reload the driver until 5 seconds of the video card not responding. After I did this, I no longer get BSOD's. However, the driver will be reloaded.

I am now trying 20 seconds, to see if maybe Vista just isn't patient enough (well, if there is a bug in ATI's drivers).

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...m_timeout.mspx

I have the reg key here so you can easily import it. This is for Vista:
    http://ordorica.org/misc/tdrdelay.reg

4. drwho

drwho Active Member

@ Catalystcather. Well, you were right about the cheaper Corsair ram I bought not being the solution. All it did was slow down the atikmdag problem somewhat. After about two days the problem came back worse than ever. I even went back to XP Pro but I started having problems with that too.

Finally remembered reading somewhere in this thread that somebody had had problems with their Realtek sound drivers. I"ve been using the onboard sound on my motherboard so I could use a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 to do video capture. I'm in the process of putting alot of old VHS tapes on DVD. So anyway, I replaced the WinTv card with my SB X-Fi card and my computer has been rock solid for the last two days. I really think the culprit was this Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 card. So in my case, the atikmdag problem turned out to be hardware related. ;)

I will report back if any more problems occur.

5. Panther-D

Panther-D New Member

Well, I've just noticed that when I move windows around on the desktop, they leave a white path behind until the computer has a half second free time to redraw those areas. So something else does get disabled too with Aero, not just the transparency and 3D stuff. If I switch Aero on, there are no such white paths, windows move around smoothly.

Anyways, I don't see any clue that somebody is really working on this... The problem isn't even recorded in the Catalyst "release notes" despite it's a "known issue under windows vista"! Why? And what use is this thread then?
    And please, tell me: why is "City of Villains: Flashing observed in the game when super AA is enabled in Catalyst Control Center and the resolution is at 2560x1600" more important than a BSOD when you just want to use the computer for ANYTHING? How many people run this "City of Villains" in 2560x1600+SuperAA (!!!)? Do you really think this was the most important thing to fix? :rolleyes: (Why?)

6. rychas

rychas New Member

Has anyone played with the new fan speed options of the 8.10 drivers and CCC? Is it helpful to this whole atikmdag situation?

7. DarkiKun

DarkiKun New Member

I have set the delay to 10 secs and it seems to have completely fixed it for me, i can't replicate the problem anymore, it used to happen a lot when playing a game and watching movie files on the 2nd screen. and now i can't even make it happen anymore for a long time, seems good.

Thanks a LOT for this info =D

8. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Only way I fixed the issues on my friends Sony Laptop was to reformat the hard drive and reinstall the OS from fresh. Going on other posts regarding this, it could very well be just a short term fix.

9. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member

Well, I have actually suffer a freeze of 20 seconds this morning, then a VPU Recovery. I guess this setting cannot actually "fix" the problem but it may help to turn BSOD into VPU recovery.

I wouldn't conclude the problem is gone unless there is at least one MONTH without any BSOD/VPU recovery. I have had like one week without problems, then BAM, two BSODs within one day. It just came randomly.

10. DarkiKun

DarkiKun New Member

Well it used to happen like 4 times a day while playing but now, nothing yet, so it may at least have lowered the chances.

11. Raduque

Raduque New Member

Well, I disabled TDR and don't seem to have any problems. In my case, I'd get them when browsing with Aero enabled. Sometimes when watching videos on my second monitor. I disabled the TDR ability in the registry and rebooted over 5 days ago.

So far, nothing.

12. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member

Which registry key did you use to do so? Thanks.

P.S. I'm using Vista Home Basic (with no Aero) and I still get TDR in 2D view - I have a dual monitor setup.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  13. Raduque

Raduque New Member

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers

Make a new DWORD named TdrLevel and give it a Decimal value of 0(zero)

I went 9 days and it froze. I switched back to aero basic.

14. Bone_Daddy

Bone_Daddy New Member

I have recently disabled my secondary monitor when gaming. So far. So good. I'll keep you all posted.

15. lordtomaso

lordtomaso New Member

I'm error free since I disabled Aero (11 days now).

The fact that there are multiple solutions to solve the issue is really strange. I guess the symptom might just be the same for everyone, but the problem is not.

16. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

Correct!!! TDR is a catchall, and the message is very generic.

The TDR can occur for many many reasons. Essentially the message indicates that Windows does not have a clue what happened but has decided to restart the video driver which has not responded for 2 seconds. So some TDRs will have a fix, for example if overheating is the real problem then resolvong the overheat will cure the TDR.

The dual display TDR (and others) are a little more mysterious because 2 displays should work properly yet once you combine Areo, the DWM and 2 displays numerous people run into the TDR events. Even then they are random events which makes troubleshooting problematic.

At this point my TDRs are cured (3 months and counting) and the offending display that seemed to be the cause/trigger, is sitting on a developers desk for long term investigation.

17. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I have only very recently started getting the TDR myself. AND, so far, it seems to ONLY occur when I've failed to turn off Dual Monitor Display. I do have AERO enabled, but, it doesn't seem to be a problem as long as I only use a single display.

In my case, I get that 'Display Driver Stopped Responding...' error and the screen flashes about 4 times and then the system reboots. It does, however, seem to occur most frequently when I've been playing a 3D game with Dual Monitors active -- with the game restricted to one monitor -- and then exit the game.

Will continue to monitor this and report any additional information.

BUT, honestly, for 'years' I've been 'TDR Free'. :)

18. CATALYSTCATCHER

CATALYSTCATCHER ATI Guru

All my TDR events were at the desktop. But most frequently occured right after a log in. I am guessing, but it seems to occur when vista is busy restoring/switching display modes. Always a very annoying occurance.

19. Minid33

Minid33 New Member

Hi, i'll be honest, i have read some of this forum but 40 pages is far too epic to spare time for. I recently bought a 1GB 4850, i'm now running 2 17 inch monitors and frequently switch between dual DVI and a single DVI and Svideo to my TV, with full aero glass. I get this error daily while navigating my desktop with regular programs like IRC, MSN etc. I have tried re-installing the drivers, with no success. Aswell as this error I have noticed that when I have the catalyst control center aswell as the base drivers it consumes a whole core of my CPU. I am currently running 8.10 Drivers launched in oct 15th. Can you summarise the fixes of the past 40 pages that are known to work for my situation?

The rest of my system spec is;
    socket 754 4200+
    gigabyte k8n SLi
    2 GB Corsiar XMS DDR-400

I would be glad to run any tests or provide further information should you request it. Thanks in Advance - Minid33

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  20. lordtomaso

lordtomaso New Member

Hi,
    - try diabling Aero
    - install only the Catalyst drivers, not with the whole CCC