Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. apc boss

apc boss New Member

lol
    i have read about the bios that you just installed and it says: that they have fixed the memory issue!sounds good cause in my world it is a memory issue!

good luck

2. MajestyZ

MajestyZ New Member

They have fixed "THE memory issue"?
    Really hope this will be fixing my BSOD's.. =)

Off-Topic:
    I just changed the way my harddisk was located in my case, this is the result:
    [​IMG]
    My CPU Temperature went from 31 idle to 17C idle!! Hoo-ah!

3. apc boss

apc boss New Member

what did you have your harddrive in front of your heatsink before,lol?

anyway i made that remark about that they have fixed the memory issue in your bios because i think it is a memory and graphicscard compatability problem.so where are you at now? any TRDs BSODs ODs???

4. MajestyZ

MajestyZ New Member

I just put the harddrive 2 cm to the way up, not a real big change. Although I accidentally touched my Scythe Mugen, might fit better on my CPU now.
    I got it overclocked at 3,6 GHz and it's still 17 idle and 31 load.

Haven't got any BSOD's so far! Been gaming all evening yesterday, Dualboxing WoW, Quad Boxing WoW (4 WoW's open at a time), playing Team Fortress 2 and Unreal Tournament 3.
    Not any BSOD.

Only those few bugs with Team Fortress 2, but that's just the combination of Vista 64 and Team Fortress, I think they've got to fix that.

5. apc boss

apc boss New Member

good stuff

6. MajestyZ

MajestyZ New Member

Still haven't got any BSOD.

I've received a VPU recovery though, but that was while playing Team Fortress 2, which is buggy on Vista 64 bit.

I have to say, that before I updated my BIOS, I updated my vidcard drivers to 9.1.

BUT, the 9.1 drivers don't seem to fix the in-game BSOD's, only the desktop BSOD's.

7. kn00tcn

kn00tcn New Member

'cpu' readings from the mobo/bios are almost always way off, look at only your 2 cores themselves

8. MajestyZ

MajestyZ New Member

Before I changed the location of my Harddisk, it was on 31 degrees. So it is working.

9. Biffes

Biffes New Member

AW: Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Double post- delete please

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  10. Biffes

Biffes New Member

AW: Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

This guy might found something:

AMD Game Forums - ATIKMDAG.sys problems and TDR FAQ

The tdr-database has got a lot entries about people with intel-boards. maybe it is a conflict between the "non-native" s-ata driver and Vista/Ati.

i am testing it with my old pc (p965-ds4/2 Monitors/daily tdrs)- no tdrs since 3 days

good luck, m8s

11. andyFg23

andyFg23 New Member

i moved to 9.1 and this seems to haves orted my issues finally.

BTW I have an Nvidia nForce based board (not Intel sata) and have had issues so personally don't think the Intel route is the cause for all these issues :hmm:

12. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member

I also stopped having issues after updating to 9.1. I have a 780G board and had issues both for using onboard 780G and a 4850. I hope the issue is finally solved.

13. MajestyZ

MajestyZ New Member

I'm free from BSOD's too. Just had 2 recoveries in total, in 2 weeks, while playing TF2.

I'm getting more WoW errors though, but that's caused by the BIOS update, I think.

14. rychas

rychas New Member

Unfortunately I still get TDR and BSODs with 9.1 drivers, only a bit less often.

But I just found out that even with Ubuntu 8.10 and SuSE I still get the same symptoms; the screen flickers for a milisecond and then freezes (only no bsods or tdrs in linux, of course).

If, in my case, the same happens with different OS it can't be a software problem., right? But I've checked the HDD and RAM and everything seems smooth...

15. manuel_labor

manuel_labor New Member

I've been having this issue since the second day after I purchased my visiontek hd 2600 xt. I've tried most of the fixes I've found online, removing the vista hotfix, ati tools, drivers only load, etc... even swapped out the card for a new hd 2600 xt but nothing resolves the issue completely. the strangest thing to me is that often my system will be rock solid for a few days, then kinda solid, then tdrs (sometimes including a crash of the system necessitating a restart) but then for no reason at all I'll turn it on one day a random ammount of time later and i'm back to semi solid functioning. I've had crashes most often in world of warcraft but also have had them playing spider solitaire!

the intermittant bad to good days are what confuse me. In my experience when you have hardware issues they tend to be all of the time not on again off again. I can't seem to even pin down anything that will reliably cause the issue. some days every time I log into WOW within a at least 2 minutes the game will either cause a tdr or a full crash (never had a blue screen after crash, just lockup) other days I can play crash free for 10 hours. One thing I have noticed is that tdr's and crashes are often preceded by minor artifacting but not always.

I've tested my memory with memtest86 for 7 full scans with no errors so it's not bad memory.

please take a look at my system spec's and let me know if any of you see any issues you've seen in the past:

gateway gt5654
    psu antec earthwatts ea-500
    Processor
    (2)AMD #60fb2, 2600 MHz
    201MHz external bus

BIOS
    Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 11/16/2007

Memory

3072MB physical
    90% free resources
    4 memory slots, 0 free (1024+1024+512+512) (ddr2 667mhz)

Video

Graphics Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT pci-e x16 w/512mb ddr3
    current clocks: 800 core 700 memory
    Screen Area/Colors: 1440x900 pixels, 16 million colors
    Monitor: HP w1907 Wide LCD Monitor

Sound
    Microsoft High Definition Audio Device (6/21/2006)
    Realtek High Definition Audio (4/23/2007)

Windows 6.0.6001 6.0.6001 SP1 (Windows 6.0.6001 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1)
    DirectX Version: 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)
    SWAP FILE DISABLED
    File cache managed by Windows

catalyst 9.1

anything stick out like a sore thumb?

16. rychas

rychas New Member

ATI 9.2 have been released!

17. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

Yeah your HD 2600 XT
    Like you, I had the same card paid good money for it back then and tried everything under the sun in trying to solve the TDR problems.
    If you look at pages 20+ you will see I tried many things in solving the TDR issues with this type of card.
    My advice to you if you got some money to spare, go and get a 8800 GT or higher brand, I switched to an 8800 GT card back then just to see what happens and all went well. I even switched to a 9600 GT and I still today have not gotten any issues. I am in the process now waiting for my third Nvidia card that I ever owned in my lifetime a 9800 GTX.
    You can if you want, look at the older postings in solving the problem, but I highly doubt it, even on XP and on an AMD Athlon system, I had system crashes with that card.
    Good Luck!
    B.M

18. apc boss

apc boss New Member

here is something you guys should try if you havent already first i firmly stick with what i have mentioned and worked on earlier in this thread and that is memory modules and overall harmony of system also this worked on a malfunctioning 4850 and it is simply uppen the voltages in videocards own bios /with gpuz under the logo picture is a little green button that will give you a copy of your present bios than go here:How To Use ATIFLASH - techPowerUp! Forums everything you need to know about flashing your bios is in there.... you download a little bios editor programm from there and drag your copy of your present bios in it now you just uppen stockvoltage a noge you will find you dont have much room to go up anyways and flash your new bios onto the card!
    now dont get sidetracked and start overclocking your card in the bios remember you are just trying to get the card stable first!later you can play!
    i found it hard to do on a vista 64 system since dos has some issues reading from c drive or main disk but any 32 bit system is a piece of cake however if you need any help post or pm.dont screw with the clocks unless you have onboard video or second card second pcie slot!!!!
    more voltage more stability card depending. dont bust your head over driver issues or everybody and i mean everybody would have same problem.dont try bios from somebody else till you get experienced enough :annoyed:http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=57750

19. E-D@N

E-D@N New Member

well... i think i found another way to fix the problem...

Catalyst 9.2 + patched atiumdag.dll found at sapphire forums...
    works so well - I think i'll never update my drivers again...

they say it only works for AMD CPUS, and AGP cards...
    well - i have AGP card, but i have a Pentium4 CPU... and it works

20. al_dh

al_dh New Member

Although I still haven't fixed my TDR problem, I've got some new info that may help others. I posted about my problem a while ago, but I've kept up with most of the posts in this thread and monitoring any info. The newest thing I just thought about hasn't been mentioned here yet, as well as the other thing I've thought about. My TDR problem is very random, so it's hard for me to be able to find a solution, but for some who get TDRs more consistently, maybe these things will help.

First- This idea seems a little far fetched, as I don't know the exacts that go on, but I figure I'll see if it actually works for anyone. I know a few people have "fixed" their problem by switching/changing monitors. I haven't tried it since I don't want to spend anything on new monitors yet, but it got me thinking about why the different monitors could be a fix. Since everyone have different monitors and different setups, I was thinking about the one thing that is in common with everyone. The only thing that we all do the same is we have to turn the monitors on. The difference is when we turn them on. I came about this thinking as I also seemingly experienced a week free of TDRs, and was trying to figure out why I was able to get such a long time free. I realized that I had been turning on my monitors at almost the same exact time during the boot process. So I tried it again and it seemed to work again. Unfortunately it didn't last long, but it seemed like there could be something there. I was turning the computer on first, then waiting for about 10 or so seconds until turning the monitors on. Did/does it really work? I don't know. I know there are things happening between the computer/video card and the monitors during the whole boot process, but I don't know the specifics. So I guess my first idea is to try turning on the monitors at different times- before the computer's turned on, waiting a few seconds after the computer's turned on, waiting until after you know Windows is probably fully loaded, etc. I only bring this up because I know there are some issues with HDMI/HDCP/DVI that some people have, so I know there is "stuff" that goes on during the boot process, I just don't know exactly what is happening.

Second- I only came across this yesterday, as I was really getting bothered by another TDR as it seems I've been on a bad streak(which for me is one TDR a day). This is older stuff first before I mention the new info. For the most part, if I catch the TDR in time, I can stop them by disabling my secondary monitor. I setup a keyboard shortcut through the ATI CCC- setting up a hotkey for "Disable all non-Primary displays" item. So once I get a TDR loop, I enter the hotkey and one monitor turns off, and the TDR almost always stop. I've had a few instances where it didn't work, but it usually does. I know this is similar to those who can unplug a monitor and have it stop. For this to work well, it probably would help to change the registry keys to lengthen the time between TDRs. I currently have TdrDdiDelay set to 60 and TdrDelay to 20, and that gives me plenty of time. I don't always get the loop though and have had BSOD and hangs. After disabling a monitor, everything seems to work, so I tried to enable the monitor again to see what happened. The loop would continue, I could disable the monitor, it would then work again. So since I already knew that for my setup turning Aero off(UxSms service stopped, which exits DWM.exe) stops TDRs, I turned Aero off and then enabled the monitor and the TDRs stopped. So I can at least stop the TDRs during the loop, but enabling Aero again will start the loop. With the loop I was getting yesterday, I wanted to investigate things a little further(I've been wanting to do so but haven't gotten so bothered with TDRs until now). I wanted to see what else I could do to stop the loop after re-enabling the monitor. So here's what the situation was- I had a TDR loop start, I disabled the monitor, and the TDRs stop(I still have DWM/Aero running). So I started looking through the services to see if stopping any of them made a difference. I came upon the Themes service, and realized that Themes and the DWM are related. So I stopped the Themes service, which turned Aero off(but DWM.exe was still running) and Vista was in the classic or standard theme(I can't really tell which one). I enable the monitor and magically the loop is still stopped. Why magic? Because the DWM.exe is still running, and I had previously thought that would need to be closed for TDRs to stop. I had assumed turning Aero off wasn't enough, and that DWM.exe needed to closed. I can't remember if I actually tried changing just changing to Vista Basic(through the Windows Color and Appearance, open the Classic Appearance settings) while leaving DWM.exe running to see if that would stop the loop.

Here's where it might get a little confusing- so the DWM(UxSms service) and Themes(Themes service, a svchost.exe process) are related. They are both required to be on(started) to have Aero glass. They both don't need to be running though, as I had DWM.exe running but the themes off, and I can have DWM off(exited) and themes still running. They can both be off and you're left with a classic theme(although it's not really 'themed' because the themes service is off). So does this mean anything?! I don't know. At least for me, I now know that my TDRs may not fully be blamed on the DWM.exe, as I can have it running and the loop stopped. Stopping the themes service also stops the TDR loop. So stopping UxSms or Themes works. Stopping both works. Having both on and Aero doesn't work. Both need to be on for Aero though, which I want, so it sucks for me.

So for those that turning Aero off(DWM stopped) doesn't work, try turning Themes off as well(find the PID for the Themes service before stopping it, then stop it and then end the svchost.exe process with that PID because stopping the service doesn't exit the process). Maybe there is some problem with the combination of DWM and Themes, or Themes is the problem. Who knows!!!

So while this doesn't really help me a whole lot because I still haven't found a fix for TDR free with Aero on, maybe it will help others who can't even be TDR free with the DWM and Aero off. All I do know for sure is that I'm starting to get really tired of TDRs- I can't imagine how I would feel if I had them as often as others. Hopefully I haven't been too confusing- if you need more info or anything clarified, let me know.

Good luck!