Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. PenrynHD

PenrynHD New Member

Hi, I've got this crash also on my F3Sa notebook. Can you give a link to this post on Sapphire forums? Please...

2. sparkies

sparkies New Member

i've got a f3sa too and the problem no longer appears after installing the latest mobility modded driver, so download vanilla ati catalyst, run the installer so that it just extracts the files but then cancel, install & run the mobility modder, disable uac, reboot, install the driver, enable uac, reboot, voila. alternatively you can find a patched version of the 8.12 driver ready to be installed on www.asustreiber.de. the exact link is http://www.asustreiber.de/downloads/folder/75-vga-ati, look for the 8.12 vista32bit MOD driver towards the bottom of the page..

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  3. PenrynHD

PenrynHD New Member

I'have drivers modded by Ati Mobility Modder and i've got crashses, these are
    9.2 Catalysts. Can you tell me in points, if I would be a child. Because, i'm not High PC user. Should I reset computer after installation of Mobility Modder?

I have installed this devicies as follows.

1.I have downloaded them from Ati Official Website...
    2.I have extracted them.
    3.I have moded them my Ati Mobility Modder.
    4.I have uninstalled older version of Devicies by Driver Sweeper, because when I wanted to uninstall them by Control Panel the BSOD was jumping with 0x0000000EA error code.
    5.I have restarted my Laptop.
    6.I have installed moded drivers.
    7.And Again restarded my laptop.

Am I doing any mistakes?

BSOD's didnt go out.
    Now I'have disabled Aero Shit from M$ and i'm waiting for result.

From this side which you give me, I want to download this version:
    What do you think about it?
    Did you tested drivers from this site?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  4. rychas

rychas New Member

Amazingly enough, I've been TDR free for almost 2 weeks. And I'm the guy who had the same display issues even on Ubuntu!

I recently had a discussion with a few guys on Asus forums, and they saw their problem solved by forcing the graphics card's clocks back to their original frequencies. Not more, not less, but to the same. The thing is: my laptop actually idles with the memory frequency at 227 and 300 Mhz. My default timings are 500 and 400 Mhz.

So I started using AMDGPUClock Tool to reset my clocks back to 500 and 400 every time I turn on the laptop. It may just be luck, but I haven't experienced a single TDR since I started doing this.

5. PenrynHD

PenrynHD New Member

What Catalysts do you use? I want to overclock this but I can't when I place this clocks and I click Set Clocks in AMD GPU Tool, it reset clocks to old values - 219.37/252.00

When I runed Counter Strike Source, I have seen that my clocks are 500/396. I have paused the game and returned for a moment to the Windows and Values in Everest Ultimate Edition drop down to 219.37/252.00.

What should I do?

I've got CATALYSTS 9.2.

I have turned off aero and it looks to be no errors.
    Is another way to solve this problem?

I'm waiting for suggestions from you :)

Please help me :)

Bless you :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  6. rychas

rychas New Member

Hmm that's odd. When you click the Restore Settings button, it should fix both your clocks to it's original values. Which card do you have?

I'm also running 9.2, altough they are modified to work with laptops. But that shouldn't make any difference. You can always try the original ATI Tool 0.27 (which works on Vista) to try to reset your clocks.

Unfortunately I'm out of ideas. If I ever have another TDR, I'm gonna send this laptop back to ASUS so they can deal with it, I've had my share of problems for the last few months. So far, this solution (?) is the only one giving me some kind of results.

7. PenrynHD

PenrynHD New Member

If I write some values and click Restore Settings button the values are 219.37/252.00.

What should I do?

I've got Ati Mobility Radeon HD2600

GPUz shows me this:
    [​IMG]

I have tried Ati Tool too and no result.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  8. machinamax

machinamax New Member

This problem is a real headache for me. I didn’t know that so many people have troubles with new machines. Let me describe my.
    I have a new computer with 4850 in it, but my problems are a little different, with same result.
    I'm running on Vista x64 SP1 now, everything works perfect in my PC except games. When I play on 1920*1080 res, the game is running about 3 minutes and then the blank screen appears for a few times and then it freezes. I don’t see a note about driver responding in windows. If I'm fast and hit alt+TAB to switch to windows and then back, the game is running another 3 minutes. If I play in lower res 1280*800, black screen appears only sometimes. And in 800*600 I could play for hours and hours without problem. I was running on XP 32 SP3 before, but problem was exactly the same and switch to vista 64 did nothing with it. My graphic card temps never reached 60 degrees, CPU is in about 40 and system 40 degrees too, I tried to change fan speed to 80%, but without a good result. I tried msconfig fix, registry TDR fix, install DNA drivers, install ATI drivers without CCC, switch card to another PCI-e slot, windows game booster, overclock card, underclock card, combine positions memory modules, set vertical sync on, set lower frequency on system RAM, reinstall system couple of times, updated mainboard bios to a newest version, but everything with the same result and without change. Games crashed in hi res in about three minutes. It looks like when the higher settings are set, the bigger probability is that game will crash. It happens only in games. Movies, music, burning and all windows work is great. I’m not using dual monitor system. This is my second 4850 card, the first was stock Sapphire with changed heat-sink Zalman VF 1000 and with same problems with it. I don’t have any ideas how to fix it. Is there some official statement from manufacturers about it? What about to change bios in graphic card? Or try another memory modules? I’m going to try vista fix, which was mentioned few posts earler.

My specs are:
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
    Gainward 4850, 512 MB@stock values
    Core2Duo E8500 3,16Ghz
    Apacer 2*2GB 800MHz
    Corsair HX520 Watt

9. PenrynHD

PenrynHD New Member

I have turned Aero off in Saturday...and seems to be fixed by this.

I think that some update is crashing this, because I hadn't this problem from May to August and from September to Today is. What do you think?

10. australis

australis New Member

MAchinamax I'm having the same problem with you. And our systems are similar. Never had a tdr on 2D but in 3D. I tried all the suggestions, underclocking, vista fix, msconfig fix, change and swap ram modules, test them w/ memtest for hours w/o errors.. etc. etc. nothing helped. I'm using a Powercolor 4850, and neither ATI's nor Powercolor's support helped me! All they do is blaming the hardware we are using. So we are still helpless here. And I guess this issue is more related to ATI than nVidia, 'cause none of my nvidia owner friends are having this problem except the ATI owners. Maybe a coincidence I don't know. What I know is I regret the day I bought this card. And this is not Vista related imho, 'cause I tried XP Pro SP2 and SP3 w/ the same results. (VPU recovery issues) MAybe next time we should give a chance to nVidia.

My specs:
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
    Powercolor 4850 PCS+ (underclocked @625/975, stock@665/993)
    Intel C2quad Q6600@stock
    Mushkin 2x2 1066Mhz
    Seasonic S12+ 550W and using Vista Ultimate SP1 w/ updates.

11. machinamax

machinamax New Member

I'm loosing all my hope for this problem.
    Maybe this is really hardware-heat problem. Maybe some component on mainboard is overheating from graphic card heat.

Maybe buying NVidia will be the only fix for this.

Guys, is somebody here, who got his problem, then switched to Nvidia and problem went out? Please, let us know.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  12. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Yes, there are. However, nVidia owners aren't immune to TDR issues either, and there are people that switched from nVidia to ATI which cured THEIR problem.

Do a Google search just using nvlddmkm.sys and take a look at what shows up.

Serious TDR issues happen to both ATI and nVidia owners, and to a wide range of cards for each side. It has to be a Vista problem. Not only that, but for me and others, it is also causing it in WINDOWS 7 beta.

You can see a discussion on that here:
    http://www.driverheaven.net/windows-7-forum/176093-windows-7-has-tdr-atikmdag-sys-issues.html

13. simland

simland New Member

I've found that turning up the fan speed on my card helps. The temp on my card never gets crazy, but I think it must be the vRam that is over heating and its temp is not being reported accurately by any tool that I can use. Then again that's pure conjecture as WoW is the only program that causes crashes for me. The other anomaly is that I can't run any AA greater than 2x or else I cause TDR issues. This is even from the ATI Overdrive tool. If I force AA to be greater than 2x, the simple preview window is enough to cause my card to TDR. I also get little sparkles on any level of AA.

Think I should protest and try to return my card? It's a 512 HD4870. I've been using it in this crappy condition since September, but Visiontek has a decent return policy. I'm so lazy I'll prolly put up with it for another few months and just buy an upgrade. Their support hours are not conveinent.

14. sparkies

sparkies New Member

just to make sure that we are looking at the same problem... in my case the problem only occured with a dual display and aero on.
    solutions:
    1. turn off aero.
    2. only use one screen.
    3. install 8.12 or 9.1 mobility modded.
    either of the above worked.
    i have never fiddled with clock frequencies, etc.

remember, it is possible that your hardware is indeed broken or bad memory or clock frequencies outside the specifications.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  15. Arcynic

Arcynic New Member

Just a note to the others here having a problem with the "atikmdag.sys" errors/BSODs:

I'm a Sys Admin with a fairly large company & we've discovered that several of our new laptops are having this identical problem. I was told to find a solution ASAP from the powers that be...
    I've got a Microsoft Premier Support case open right now, and it has been moved on to their Escalation Engineers. They've also involved ATI internally. Along with that, I also opened a case with HP (our OEM), and they, too have escalated this to their engineers.
    In the past 2 weeks I've been on the phone for hours with MS, HP, ATI, and even Intel. Seemed like slow going, but I found this message on Friday from the Probem Reports and Solutions within Vista:

http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=prs.jpg

I thought it was pretty encouraging, as it is the first time I've seen anyone actually acknowledge that there is a problem. I've seen The Problems Reports and Solutions window open on several occasions, and this is the first time I've seen the "This Problem is Being Researched" message. As soon as I find out more, I'll pass the information along...

Wish me luck.

16. Raduque

Raduque New Member

This is some very good news indeed!

Kinda sad that after all the individual reports filed with MS and ATI that it's taken a big company complaining to get something done.

17. machinamax

machinamax New Member

It's not Vista problem for me. It was same under XP SP2/SP3 profesional.
    Is somebody here who downgraded from Vista to XP and problem went out?

18. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Then you have some other hardware/software issue.

There is no such thing as a TDR in XP. The closest thing to a TDR in XP would be a VPU RECOVER.

If you check my system specs, you will see that I run multiple (right now I have 9) Operating Systems. I have 32 and 64 bit versions of XP and Vista, plus 2 installs of Windows 7 64 bit.

I have no problems with any of my XP installs. I only had TDR's in the Vista and WIndows 7 installs.

I'm one of the lucky ones that have found that the MSCONFIG/BOOT FIX cured them.

19. grog

grog Roxy Music

For the Crossfire X2 users.....
    Microsoft has released a hotfix that may apply.

Performance issues may occur on a Windows Vista-based or Windows Server 2008-based computer if Active State Power Management is enabled

Hotfix Download Available

Performance issues may occur on a Windows Vista-based or Windows Server 2008-based computer if Active State Power Management is enabled

20. machinamax

machinamax New Member

I watched Event Viewer and I found error message when system freezes.
    It was event id 6008. Somebody knows what this means?