Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. PenrynHD

PenrynHD New Member

I have tested my memory by MemTest86+ and no errors. Laptop is new.
    I have turned on aero and installed this:
    [FONT=&quot]ASUSTreiber.de Download - ATi Catalyst Vista 32/64[/FONT]
    And i'm waiting for result.
    I have written to Asus and they reply to me and wrote that I should install this drivers, but on my F3Sa the can't install, when I unnistal another ATI drivers by Driver Sweeper or in another invencion they can't instal, this install only Catalyst Control Center...

[FONT=&quot]http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/VGA/ATI/ATI_M98_Vista_090217.zip

How it works in yours notebooks?

[/FONT]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  2. Timo_P

Timo_P New Member

I've posted twice before in this thread thinking I had solved my atikmdag crashes, but both times the problem returned after a while. Now I'm happy to report that I finally found a solution that worked for me. Previously I tried every solution offered in this thread but nothing worked. Then I updated the bios for my MSI P45 NEO-F motherboard and that worked. If I remember correnctly, my original bios version was 1.1 and I updated it to 1.7. Now my computer has been running smoothly for a couple of months without any crashes.

3. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

Ok folks I did an experiment 2 days ago with the Nvidia 9600 GT to see if I can get a TDR with this
    card.
    Now mind you that this card is not factory over-clocked, using the Riva-Tuner utility I managed to
    over-clock this card at 30% on the core clock and memory clock. This setting did cause an
    “nvlddmkm.sys” stop responding error after a few hardcore gamming. Now even though I managed to get
    this error, the funny thing was that if I lowered the memory down by 20% given a 10% increase speed
    keeping the core speed at 30% NO errors occur, no matter what I did with this card.

If any of you have followed my posts in the last 9 months or so, you would know that I had an ATI HD
    2600 XT card. This card was the one that got me so upset with TDR’s and as I stated previously in one
    of my posts that this card could not be over-clocked nor under-clocked. I even went as far as to
    changing the BIOS of the card to a much lower frequency, but only got a black screen.
    Now from the above experiment with the Nvidia 9600 GT card, I come to a conclusion that if there was
    a way I could of lower the core and memory clock on the ATI HD 2600 XT then I probably wouldn’t get
    any or would of gotten less TDR issues back then. However, I through my ATI HD 2600 XT card out,
    because I knew there was no way that this card could be internally changed, but that does not mean
    that all ATI HD 2600 XT cards can’t be changed internally. I also believe that any graphic cards that
    are over-clocked by factory default would cause more TDR errors than a card that is not over-clocked;
    this is a good thing to keep in mind before you go and buy another card.

Therefore, if any of you have the ATI HD 2600 XT card, try to change the memory speed first before
    changing the core speed if you can, this may well prevent or at least give you some relief on TDR
    abundance.

machinamax: As for your question:
    I watched Event Viewer and I found error message when system freezes.
    It was event id 6008. Somebody knows what this means?

That has nothing to do with TDR, it just states your system was shutdown improperly.

B.M

4. sushisteve

sushisteve New Member

First off hello driver heaven. :) 2nd off......TDR....ugh new computer a week ago today. Vista Home 64 i7 920, 3x2G Corsair DDR3 1600, Asus P6T mobo, Sapphire 4850 512mb, 1000w PSU. WoW ran smoothly on day 1 so did crysis, then followed day 2 with TDR on wow, crysis and flight sim x ran smoothly at this point still. Was crashing on wow only after a few hours day 2, day 3 crashes hit right away before login on menu soon as 3D graphics kicked in. Then it started happening across all games and 3D applications, even the catalyst 3d image would TDR crash me. So naturally I updated drivers, to no avail, updated driver with drive sweeper, no avail, started reading forums and finding out this problem, tried a few solutions: reinstallation of wow, repair tool for wow, underclocked (has never been overclocked) GPU, manually keyed in ram voltage on bios (since listed in asus manual and stickered on ram was different). Windows updates are turned off so I don't have the faulty one (forget number) and I did download the 3.5 frames and the other .net one. Driver updates over and over and over with drive cleaners. Registry cleaner, msconfig/boot fix (was not 100% sure on ram number I went off dxdiag number also i7 so I keyed in 8 for processors, correct? 4 physical 4 virtual.) UAC turned off. Wow seems to run the longest (maybe 2 minutes tops) first time I turn on the computer after being at work all day. It's not overheating, running idle at 32C and running under 100% stress at 45ish. I haven't noticed the fan speed move much from 32-35% though even under 100%, is this normal?! seems odd but I don't want to turn it on 100% all the time or I'll burn it out considered using another tool instead of catalyst to adjust fan speeds anyway, are there any other obvious fixes I'm missing? I've read through a good chunk of this post but not all of it, any help would be greatly appreciated, ask if you need more info I might have forgot to post something :D

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  5. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

For the MSCONFIG/BOOT fix, use the number of PHYSICAL processors.

In your case, 4. Memory for 6GB would be 6144. Not guaranteed to work, but worth trying it again.

6. machinamax

machinamax New Member

To australis:

Hey bro, maybe I have a solution for you.
    Yesterday a put a finger on heatsink on motherboard to check the temps and it was really hot. So I put a small fan on it and everything seems to work good. I did testing out games and 3dmark vantage and 3dmark06 on 1920*1050*32, 4AA with 3 times repeat. Before it would freeze after 3 minutes, but yesterday it worked for 30 minutes without any crash. The temps on card, cpu and system was a little higher but was stable like never before.
    For everybody who got mobo Gigabyte EP45-DS3R, probably this could be a solution.
    I will test it tomorrow and I will give you guys some more informations.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  7. australis

australis New Member

Thank you for your advice machinamax ;) Well I have a scythe zipang cpu cooler (14cm fan) blowing right onto the mobo's heatsink and cpu. Maybe adding an extra fan on the side of the case works. What is your gpu's idle temp by the way? Mine was 71C degrees before. So I increased fan speed to 40% and it's 57C@idle. I don't know if this is a heat problem. Some of my nvidia owner friends use their cards at around 70C idle but they have no tdr issues. But I'll try this anyway. Tried before but it was noisy so I removed the extra fan, and it didn't help at that time. (2 days)

8. machinamax

machinamax New Member

To australis:

I have 4850 Gainward with non-reference cooler and it's 42C at idle and from 50 to 70 at full load. I don't know what temps should be on your 4850 PCS+ model, but for 4850 your temps are ok. You just need to cool northbridge on your mobo. Try to put small fan right on it or put a bigger fan on side of your case. It should works perfectly.
    Today I'm going to put two 40mm fans on northbridge and test it. Tomorrow I'll give you an update.
    Good luck.

UPDATE 19.3.
    I put two 40mm fans on northbridge, but cooling was not enough for the upper side of heatsink and result was freezed system. So I put one 80mm fan on side of the case like before and all pervious problems gone. I tested 3d mark vantage in 1920*1080*32 with 8xAA, 3dmark06 in same settings, test drive unlimited and far cry 2 on max settings and everything worked flawesly. I put sensor from case on northbridge to see the temps on front panel and it was 41C max.

Hopefully all problems are history. It was like a tumor in my head and now I feel completely healthy. I want to thank everybody on this forum for a lots of good advices.
    I wish you to solve your problems. I'll stay active on thic topic.

Whats your update australis?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  9. TheJakeOtt

TheJakeOtt New Member

Lllaaaaiiillll!!!

So I've read through a bunch of these 50-some-odd pages about this problem, which I also experience regularly, that seems to plague so many people in so many situations...

This is what I've got:

Diamond Viper HD 3850 Ruby Ed 512 GDDR3 @ 710/875
    AMD Phenom X4 9550 @ Stock
    Gigabyte GA MA770 DS3 (AMD770) bios rev F6
    4GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066
    Antec 3 rail 650W PSU (22A,22A,25A on 12V rails)

Everything I've seen indicates that all these components should line up nicely, but all I've been able to do is extend the amount of time that lapses before I experience the dreaded atikmdag error. I've modded and flashed the video bios, updated MB bios, tried multiple driver configs, added a fan to the NB, put a fan on the side of the machine directly above VGA card and NB, tried upping voltages, I've never seen a single temp in Everest that indicates inordinate heating...

All of these only delayed the inevitable for me.

I hate this. It interferes with each of my days. I'm going to burn the building down.

:Edit:
    So, I've said 'to hell' with getting performance out of this card that was guaranteedby the manufacturer and reverted back to RV670 standards. I've also determined that Diamond Multimedia is a bunch of effwads who sell a pre-overclocked card without equipping it with the cooling/board space needed to facilitate said pre-overclocking. I've inched the card freq. back to 670/875, subsequently inching back to stability. Go figure.
    I want to scream obscenities.

So, in QBasic:
    IF "Diamond Viper HD3850 Ruby Edition 512 GDDR3" THEN GOTO :hell

lol

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  10. australis

australis New Member

At least someone out there got rid of his problem! I'm happy for you ;)
    As for my update, yes I installed a 12cm fan on the side of the case directly blowing onto the radeon and northbridge. Temps decreased but it didn't help getting rid of tdrs. so "all quiet on the western front" :p

11. australis

australis New Member

Re: Lllaaaaiiillll!!!

:)
    Let's change it a little bit as:
    IF "HD* 512 GDDR3" THEN GOTO :hell
    so that it includes my ati too ahaha :D

12. TheJakeOtt

TheJakeOtt New Member

lol. I'm so... I don't even know what to freakin say. I backed up my clock speeds, and thought everything was all good - THEN?!! I played Crysis on max DX10 settings for about 3 hours and guess what I get...

Just guess.

HA! Nope, no TDR...A DAMN BLUESCREEN citing ATIKMDAG as the faulting module. I swear to god this crap is getting OLD! LIKE A DAMN YEAR NOW DEALING WITH THIS ERROR WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF

13. TheJakeOtt

TheJakeOtt New Member

/\ Same thing again today...
    || No TDRs, just a page fault bsod after playing Crysis
    Warhead for an extended length of time with the reduced
    clocks (670/879).

Not a single TDR though.

I'd say, as a general rule, watch your GPU clock.
    Compare it's default levels to whatever is factory specs
    for whatever GPU your specific card sports...Underclock
    it even. 10-15MHz can make a difference in some cases,
    it did in mine. Negligible performance decrease for a
    fairly signifigant reduction in your GPU temp and an
    equally significant reduction in the number of errors
    you'll see.

14. PenrynHD

PenrynHD New Member

Hi friend's,
    I haven't been here for long time and now I'm.
    I think that I have fixed this shitty problem.

Guess how?

I have installed this drivers:
    http://www.asustreiber.de/downloads/download/851-8-56-5rc2_072201e_vista_asus

Before installing this I have removed another drivers and removed my card from system and I have restarde my laptop.

Next I have installed this drivers and no bsod's for 3 weeks :)

I recommend to clean a registry because I had one freeze but atikmdag recorver skill.
    I have cleaned my registry by Rec Cure and no freeze too.

Greetings from Poland!

15. Raduque

Raduque New Member

I finally fixed my TDRs.

How you ask?

Well, it's simple: I put my second monitor in storage.

16. PenrynHD

PenrynHD New Member

Ok, after 3 weeks I get my sucked atikmdag.sys BSOD :(
    I have mailed to Asus Corporation again...

But, I have found another solution. Cleaning registry everyday after using....
    I will check it. Maybe it's working :)

Your sincerely,
    Atikmdag.sys BSOD REGULARY USER

EDIT on 1/04/2009 14:25:
    I have send my .dmp to Asus Poland, and enginier from Asus reply to me that he will send me atikmdag.sys file to overwrite, because he had the same problem as me and this fix it for him. I will post this file here when I get it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  17. jason50

jason50 New Member

Hi all

My first time on driverheaven just bought a new dell studio had it for about a month with out any hiccups but now this this damb thing happens about 4 times a day :mad:Tried all fixes and just dont know how to correct this tried new drivers tried setting the fan just completely tired of this problem and its only been two weeks.What can i do to rectify this annoying problem.:confused:

18. BadMouth

BadMouth New Member

First of all, for all new members of this forum look at this thread for information that may help you find your cure to TDR. Sure you may have no time because you are too busy picking your nose or solving your other life problems, but if you have the time for those things, then read the 1 + 53 pages of this thread as done by most of us members and try some of our members solutions before asking for help. I hate the fact that some posters say they do not have time to read all this thread, well man, then I guess you don’t have time to fix this annoying problem as well. Don’t expect anyone to do your work, because most of them still have the problem and some of them don’t have the time to explain all solutions nor do they have the time to mind read, when posting make sure you post with full facts, such as your system specs, when it started, and when it occurs the most often.
    This would surely help you get more answers to your questions.
    B.M

19. TheJakeOtt

TheJakeOtt New Member

DUDE!!!! Now, that sounds interesting. Can't wait for your post!

20. The.Rat

The.Rat New Member

well my errors have finally stopped (I hope). How? Well I've updated to the latest unified drivers the catalyst 9.3. Finally I can watch a video file without filling my event viewer with atikmdag errors.

cheers