Vista and 7.3 Display driver atikmdag stopped responding error

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by the-bullet, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Mazuko

Mazuko Well-Known Member

Unfortunately...I am STILL getting this error both on Windows Vista Home Premium and Windows Vista Ultimate...no matter what I do I can not load my system unless it is in safe mode, or I remove the ATI Display Driver.

This is so frustrating.....sometimes if I install the 9.3 drivers it works...most of the time it does not....the 9.2's I get the error...anything after that I always get the error.

I am using an asus a8r32mvp-deluxe, with an opteron 180, 2GB Corsair XMS, and dual diamond ati 2900 XT 1GB cards.

2. Mazuko

Mazuko Well-Known Member

I have found the error goes away using the Cat 9.1's on Vista Ultimate and Home Premium, and that I can use the 9.8 CCC with no issues. If I use any other driver or CCC I get the atikmdag.sys BSOD at boot.

3. Petpal

Petpal New Member

I just recently got this Atikmdag problem and I have to say that I am pretty upset since games like half life 2, world of warcraft works without any problems while newer games that has "nvidia Physx" and "Game for windows Live" in them always get frozen on and off after 2 minutes of play..

Tried all of the suggestions I have found but nothing helps, Core temp is well under limit and so is my GPU which excludes the heating issue.

I have a spare power supply of 650W which I've tried without any luck so that exclude the power problem that AMD says is the most common reason why you get this.

Have uninstalled the Windows updates that are suppose to cause this issue and no luck there.

Tried using driver sweeper in order to flush out all bad files that might be laying around, did this in safe mode and after that I've tried to installed all sorts of different catalysts without any luck.

So the only thing I can do now as I see it, is to play world of warcraft on a computer that is made for so much more. :sigh:

My Computer Setup:

Motherboard: MSI P35 NEO-F, P35, Socket-775, DDR2, 1333FSB, ATX, GbLAN, PCI-Ex16
    CPU:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB
    Power supply:
    Corsair Powersupply 650W Black, ATX/EPS 120mm fan, 8xSATA, SLI
    Hard drive:
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB, SATA-300, 32MB, 7200RPM
    Memory: Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 4096MB CL5, Kit w/two matched CM2X2048-6400 Dimm's (These x2)
    GPU: ASUS Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCI-E

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  4. RE III - Frankie

RE III - Frankie Banned

Sammy7 - I know you have more than one post. People stop spamming. You need new power supplies, new hDD's and new gp's and ram

5. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

You might want to take your own advice there sport.

The atikmdag (and nvlddmkm error with nVidia cards) is a complex issue, and there is no one single cure that works for everyone.

Yes, in SOME cases it's a hardware issue, and others it isn't. For instance, one of the ATI employees that was using 2 monitors cured his by using 2 identical monitors, I on the otherhand, have always used dissimilar monitors. I have one CRT, and one LCD now, but even when I was running 2 CRTs theu weren't identical. I have/had TDR issues, but the cure for me is the MSCONFIG/BOOT fix. For other people a new/better PSU worked. For others it seemed to be heat related. Other folks 'cured' it with different RAM.

Not only that, but I, and others, have the SAME issue in Windows 7 as well.

The biggest problem is the it appears that MS is using that error message as a 'catch all' for any number of hardware and/or software related issues. It's almost as if the OS is saying "I don't know what the problem is, so I'll blame it on the video drivers". :sigh:

6. razorirr

razorirr New Member

Meh i still have the issue with the new 9.10 drivers.

currently
    k9a2 platnium v1
    phenom 9500
    8 gigs gskill ddr2 800
    2x HD3870 from visiontek
    1100 watt tagan ITZ psu
    server 2008 enterprise x86 with sp1 (for those of you that dont think any 32 bit os supports more then 3.5 gig's of memory try again. both 2008 and 2003 enterprise do.)

The whole system runs perfect on server 2003 since dx9 doesnt seem to have these issues. (any time i run a dx9 card on server 2008 i can play or do anything perfectly, its only dx10 and dx10.1)
    I can use riva tuner to turn the fans up a bit to cool them. 100% fan will get the cards to run at 40C under full load
    If i have riva tuner turned on though atikmdiag will happen alot faster, reguardless of if the fans are on 100% or 25% or anywhere in between

Do the 5000 series cards not have this issue?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  7. turtlebolt

turtlebolt New Member

I get "Display driver Atikmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered" and a screen with vertical lines based on the color the games are displaying after playing games for a period of time. More often than not i get stuck with vertical lines screen or a black screen and i have to manually reboot. The higher i make the settings, the sooner i get Atikmdag. There are also flashing distortion lines occasionally while playing as well as during the initial windows loading startup screen. I hope the problem is just that ati has yet to make stable drivers because i have tried many things. Any help with this would be appreciated.

What i have tried and did not work:
    memcheck RAM, and physically checked each stick
    Uninstalled KB952287 hotfix
    Underclocking my GPU
    turned off UAC and Aero
    Uninstalled Ati drivers and CCC
    Checked cards running temperatures (they were within official functioning range)

My computer:
    Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium (64 bit) Service Pack 2
    Motherboard: M2p61pm (Nettle3-GL8E)
    System Model: a6700y
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) X4 9150e Processor (4 CPUs), ~1.8GHz (65w)
    Memory: 4gb RAM ( 240 pin DDR2 SDRAM, 4 x hynix 1gb IRX8 pc2 - 64ou-666-12)
    antec 740 w PSU
    radeon HD 5770 (Plugged into a PCI-e 1.0) (108w)
    500gb Hardrive
    Single DVI monitor

8. SV110MHH

SV110MHH New Member

OK... I have had enough... I am SICK and tired of this stupid error.

I am about to just buy a new PSU AND a new card.

I have a 500PSU... I guess that just isn't enough for my HD4850.

I STILL think it is a driver error.

9. mboylepc

mboylepc New Member

Started getting it on my laptop recently intermittently when I hook up a secondary external monitor - running latest drivers from Dell site, mobility 3650, laptop runs cool to the touch. What is this config/boot fix that keeps getting mentioned? [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

10. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

MSCONFIG/BOOT FIX:

1. Run MSCONFIG in a command prompt.
    2. Click the BOOT tab
    3. Click on ADVANCED options.
    4. Put a CHECK in "Number of Processors", and then select the number of processors your system has. 1 for a single, 2 for a dual core, 4 for a quad.
    5. Put a CHECK in "Maximum memory", and key in amount of RAM you have.
    6. Click OK, Click APPLY, and re-boot when prompted.

11. SV110MHH

SV110MHH New Member

Been 6 months and STILL have the problem.

Bought a new PSU

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

And even bought a new card since people said this one ran cooler than my 4850 and since I figured maybe I just had a bad card)

Newegg.com - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Running MemTest86+ AGAIN.... I looked on the Gigabyte website and I don't have RAM listed under their "suggestion list"

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ

That is the RAM I have... do you guys have any suggestions on what I could do to its setting before I spend ANOTHER $200 on two new sticks of their suggested RAM.

12. bwhite

bwhite New Member

We have 20 machines in the field that were getting this error repeatedly.
    Most of the time it locked up the machine and they required a hard reboot. No BSODs.

I went through this entire thread, pulled out every idea that anyone suggested, and tried them all on various machines.
    Different drivers, heat, BOOT options, fan speed, had no effect.

The one that made the difference for us, and we have now rolled out, is turning off the DirectX hardware acceleration.

Users are reporting that the application seems faster now, seeing less heat issues, and no lockups in the last three days. That is a huge improvement over 25% going down every night.

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6450

HTH,
    Brad.