Vista Chattiness Is in the Eye (Ear?) of the Beholder

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Vikingod, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Source: eWEEK

Among early adopters of Microsoft's freshly minted Windows Vista operating system, the strongest reactions so far seem not to revolve around the system's fancy new looks or its handy search facilities, but rather around Vista's knack for asking permission to carry out operations that require administrative privileges.

2. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

I think you can turn that feature off, can't you?

If not, they should make it like it is on the Mac. It's not a big deal - I think they found a good balance on OS X.

3. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Mind it's stretching it a bit far when you turn on the wall socket and a little voice echoes from the corner 'Are you sure you want to send electricity to your powersupply?'

4. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Folks like us, that have a pretty good grip on their machines, it is a pain. The people who ask me for advice at work, at the bar, etc. I think it really is a godsend. It makes an attempt at preventing people to just click 'OK' every time they download something for the internet. It's far from perfect, but you can only combate social engineering so much.

You can turn it off, so I think the whole debate is much ado about nothing.

5. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

As long as MS gives users the choice, I think folks will be ok with it. It's when we don't get a choice and get that stuff forced down our throats that kinda sucks and gets ya mad, I figure.

6. Sonata

Sonata New Member

That will be the first thing I turn off when I install the final, it annoyed me in a beta version. Come Cisco release a VPN client that supports Vista x64 and I will be happy.

7. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

It didn't bother me, but I did deactivate while I set up my machine with all my stuff, and I never turned it back on, it's quite good for the average user as it means virus, spyware etc shouldn't be able to install with out the users full permission, as only a mouseclick is accepted on the screen. If it was asking for your password like some other piece of software, that'd be really annoying, but as it stands i think it's a great addition for the home user, but for us power users MS were kind enough to let us disable it, so where's the problem?

8. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

yes you can, and it takes 10 seconds. Another idiotic article.

9. DudeBoyz

DudeBoyz banned

Maybe I'm just to jaded against Microsoft.

But they've done so much bad and annoying crap, I am flat out tired of cutting them slack, you know?

How many times can you get kicked in the head before you get sick of it and make a change?

I went out and spent $2000 on a 24" iMac, but I still end up working in Windows cause that's where all my apps are. Plus, I'm used to the keystrokes that Windows uses instead of what the Mac uses. I just get things done faster and easier in Windows, and until OS X gets more of the kind of apps I want to use, I'm kinda stuck there.

10. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Yes I can see where your coming from I mean thats obviously all Microsofts fault. How dare they make you buy a iMac. As arguments go that doesn't exactly rank up their with the best.