Vista deactivates me for upgrading motherboard firmware

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Source: Real World IT Blog (ZDNet)
    _________
    Twas the day before Christmas and all I got from Microsoft and MSI was Vista’s kill switch, a buggy motherboard BIOS, and horrible tech support from MSI. The following is the screenshot of what I saw after I upgraded my problematic motherboard’s (MSI P965 Platinum) BIOS firmware.

2. Nforce2XP

Nforce2XP New Member

Yeah Vista is a lame OS, unfortunatly, i was using it and i liked a lot, until i put it on test tried to play UT3 retail even patched, i had some hardisk trashing, hickuc, i dint know why, core 2duo CPU 4 gigs of memory, vista business, 8600gts card with latest driver for vista, installed all board drivers from intel,,,, no go, i could make up what would triggering this issues in my rig, i know its not the best but is sufficient for ut3 , at 1024x768 you dont spect this kind of poor performance, and I even told my brother, man UT3 suck what a piece of garbage EPIC and ATARI made, then installed XP sp2 man i could believe my eyes the danm game rocked now, this is too much for me, VISTA even with the beta sp1 v668 wouldnt give me a good game play, I even put RTM with all fixes and nothing, no man its VISTA the problem not anything else...

3. Huigie

Huigie New Member

Same happened to me, changed firmware on DVD-ROMS and tested a few bios files from MVKtech on my 8800GTX... No biggie, called MS and they reactivated me without any hassle.

4. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

still a hassle, a Major one! for someone like me that changes my pc often,
    or for people doing various kinds of testing. Imagine and rma department
    that test hardware thats returned to a store? can you imagine spending
    hours a day on the phone to MS just to do your job? that shouldn't require
    you to call MS EVER

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

nforce2xp...... your UT3 problems also excist for a whole hell of alot of people on xp..... so don't blame the vista just yet........

as for the problem.... in the new article...

it's one of the reasons i ditched MSI completely again.... i've YET to have a good board from them....

I've completely changed ram/video cards/network cards/dvd-rom drives/cpu's... hell everything without receiving a single "reactivation" request YET

Only thing not changed is a motherboard.... which makes completely sense...

i've also upgraded several of these machines bioses without a hitch...

so it's obviously a screwup in MSI's part.. and a little on MS's side for being more then just a little picky.. but with good reason.. if anyone had a real clue as to how much microsoft is losing to piracy.

6. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

BIOS updates, changes amount of RAM installed and changes disk drives never required reactivation. i've been doing all these mentioned plenty of time and on several Vista based computers. but, who knows things might have been different with other users.