Vista Gaming: Yay or Nay? Part 2: Nvidia

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by HardwareHeaven, Mar 15, 2007.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read The Article Here

Early adopters of new technologies usually end up with the short end of the stick. Hardware and software issues are plentiful and it takes nerves of steel to deal with all of them. Mobile phones, mp3 players, DVD players and gaming consoles are known to have major issues at launch. But all tech launches pale in comparison to new OS releases. Linux is fairly safe from them because the upgrades are gradual. Windows being the complete opposite is prone to some major start-up problems though.

Here at Driver Heaven we decided to investigate how Microsoft’s latest product handles the pressure of running the latest and greatest games. In Part 1 of this ongoing performance analysis we tested how Vista performed on a high-end system running on ATI hardware - the results were quite positive.

2. hommee

hommee New Member

my ATI x850XT will not play doom3 or any other openGL games in Vista Ultimate any help on this.

3. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

well maybe if you asked in the right forum rather than an nvidia thread you might get an answer.

Anyway back to the article. nice read, I too am pleased with the 100.65 drivers, I didnt really like the 101.44's although they were beta but they were awful.

Im sure vista will replace XP this year, looks like a lot of people are moving already.

4. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

The thing with the 8800 series is that Nvidia is pouring 100% of their resources into producing drivers for this card while previous generations are getting the shaft, it doesn't surprise me that their flagship model performs well in Vista. How many 7900GT's were sold by Nvidia? I'm guessing ten times more than 8800's yet the 7900GT's still can't even play games in Vista! I've been in communication with some of their driver people and I'm stunned at their inability to fix such glaring flaws in their Vista drivers.

Anyway, as usual a beautiful review...too good looking if you ask me. Benchmarks are supposed to be ugly and hard to decipher :D

5. Golbeze

Golbeze New Member

Question, why are the 101.41s aweful? I'm using them and am having no problems.

6. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I wouldn't know where to begin but if they were fine for you don't mess with a good thing.

7. BattleAxe

BattleAxe New Member

The entire success and the main reason the Vista is winning is because of the Dual-core + 8-series Nvidia cards.

Anyone else having a single core- pre-8 cards (7 and 6 series) should just stick with WinXP, until they feel like upgrading to the latest and greatest AND then, after upgrade to Vista.

I also advise whoever have less than 2GB of memory (not only the recommended 1Gig) should also stick with WinXP.

Me, having a relatively cutting edge pc 2 years ago (amd 64 3000+1.5GB Ram+7800GS AGP), find the Vista only good to look at, but not for gaming.

I understand, this article only deals with "gaming-only", but I also have to point out, that many hardware are still not having a proper driver (don't let me start with creative sound).
    Right now, I can't use my Lexmark printer, neither my logitech webcam, and my sound card makes crackling noises.
    So performance this or that, I'm sticking with WinXP (because of better support) for possibly until I get a better system (sometime a few months from now) +AND the 3rd-party drivers finally catch up to make a semi-decent-somewhat working driver first. Until then, I'll mess around with my try-copy of Vista (dual boot) and watch the bandwagon-jumpers like volunteer labrats for the Microsoft-experiment.

8. mike2h

mike2h New Member

my gaming exp in vista64 has a lot to be desired. while the only game ive played so far is gw, it is close to being unplayable, like having massive lag all the time.
    also happens to be one of my 2 fav games. havent tried civ4 yet. really going to suck if i have to make a dualboot with xp so i can play.
    i know the preferred way to dual boot is xp 1st, it is possible to do it with vista already installed rt? there is at least one setting in bios i know is for 64 bit os ill have to disable to. sks

9. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Nice 15 month thread resurrection Mike ;)

I played quite a few games in x64 and id say 95%+ worked fine. I think if you use vista boot pro VistaBootPRO - Go PRO with Microsoft Windows Vista Boot Manager you can install XP afterwards. Have never done it mind you so I can't confirm 100%.

Shame you are seeing lag mind you, not sure why, would need to narrow things down, like drivers, cpu loads etc.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR New Member

Heh, i always wonder where the f**k ppl manage to find all the problems.
    Vista 32bit and 64bit work awesome. XP's are so last century lol...

11. mike2h

mike2h New Member

lol thought somebody would like that.
    im going to give it awhile & hope i can work it out. using latest non beta drivers for everything. cpu load never exceeds 70% while playing & mem has never exceeded 60%. at least according to logitech & my g15(actually my wifes traded her my tarantula - she got a little upset but its all good.. i hope;))
    what im hoping for is somebody with similar issue that can say if its fixable or not.
    part of what makes it difficult is that anet seems to have been cutting back on server usage so internet caused lag is much more prevalent. this also compounds any system based lag. ive considered changong drivers, but from what ive been reading there is no particular set that has any advatages over the 175.16 im using. kinda wondering about creative drivers to cause i have been having rear channel probs(basically have no rear channels) but kinda hard to see that causing prob & same thing applies here - no other truly viable drivers.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  12. mike2h

mike2h New Member

very helpful... ty.

13. mike2h

mike2h New Member

gaming in gw is worse than i realised. a buddy of mine came over & he was playing gw on my wifes comp. his ping was always about 30% better than mine. not that either ping was great but u combine my ping with not being able to get over 25 fps - mostly in the mid teens & sometimes down to single digits, gw is nt much fun.
    i unistalled my 175.16 drivers & installed the 175.80 drivers no diff at all. going to try sometig from the 169 series like the .44 & hope it does something, if not then its prolly either vista64 or mb issue. either way it aint good.

14. mike2h

mike2h New Member

hey, i got my fps up to 30! if i stand still in the guildhall and nobody else is there i get viable fps. lmao.