Vista Networking/Sharing Problems/Solutions

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Judas, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Can i get a walkthrough for that?

btw.. UPnP is enabled across everything

2. shadowfield

shadowfield New Member

I'm not using Vista right now, so all I can do is explain how to do it in that, so hopefully that will be good enough.

Its basically just like how you set share permissions, but instead of going to the sharing tab, you will want to go to the Security tab and set permissions. If its not there, it might be set to simple sharing like in XP, the option to turn that off is in folder properties.

Remember, Deny over rules all other permissions, so its best not to set any at all for a group instead of Deny.

Also, I just read that the Everyone group does not include Anonymous Logon in XP, so I bet its safe to say that its the same in Vista. So try and add Anonymous Logon to the share/ntfs permissions also.

3. Judas

hmmm... didn't appear to work.. but i could have screwed something up....

4. HTP

HTP New Member

Try this

I had the same exact problem. Try taking the share off the re share the drive but let windows name it in my instance it was K (previously i had named it Software) give everyone full control and it should work for you. hope this helps.

5. Judas

tried that.. no go.....

6. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Is it too important to have password protected sharing off? Because I have it on, and I'm doing more or less the same things you do (I shared an entire partition, gave everyone full control, and told the firewall not to protect the LAN connection), and it works. I log on to the Vista PC with my Vista username and password, and I see the drive and I can access the files.

So how does one use them?! And why arent they showing up when I click "Advanced sharing"?

7. Judas

i'd have to create a user for each machine that is identical to that of the machine sharing files.... and they would have to be logged in under that name to be able to share..

imo, this is not exactly a great way of doing things.

8. IvanV

When I first access the computer with the shared content from the other one, I am prompted for username and password and I can enter any values I want - such user doesn't have to exist on the computer I'm sitting at, but only on the PC I'm connecting to. So you could just create a user account on the machine with the shared files, and the people accessing it would just provide that name and password when prompted. Probably not the most elegant solution, but it works.

9. Judas

Thing is, i don't even get a prompt.. it just states that i don't have the user rights or privilages, and to contact my administator..

10. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy New Member

You need to be an Admin on a Windows domain (i.e. running a Windows server setup) to be able to use them. On a workgroup they are just set up by (and for) the system during install.

11. IvanV

Thanks, Monkeyboy. :)

12. totally_tonedef

totally_tonedef New Member

I am glad I am not the only person with this problem. But I see that no one seems to know how to fix it.

I have everything set up the same way but no go. Just keeps telling me that I do not have permission and to contact the admin...for everything but the public folder.

I have set Guests to have full control even though I have no password protection. I feel like there is some sort of hidden network control that I cannot find...I just want every computer on the network to be fully accessible to each other.

Has anyone figured this out over the past few months?

13. totally_tonedef

totally_tonedef New Member

I figured it out!

What you need to do is remove the default hidden shared drives through command line:

Code:
    net share <sharename> /delete
    EX: net share C$ /delete

And then BAM the other comps had access! yay

14. Judas

excellent.. i'lll try this