Vista not recognizing USB 2.0 ports

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Kenshin-kun, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Kenshin-kun

Kenshin-kun New Member

Hi everyone, this is my first post around here. I was looking around for sites with driver support, and I found this one looking through Google.

Anyway, here's my problem.
    I'm running Vista compilation 5840 (I got compilation 5600 through the MSDN Academic Alliance program, but some programs wouldn't work with it, so I downloaded this one) and I wanted to try ReadyBoost with one of my pendrives. On compilation 5600, I installed the WinXP USB 2.0 drivers you can find on http://www.biostar.com.tw/. The problem is, that my specific motherboard has around 5 or 6 variations (U8668D Pro, U8668D V1, etc) and it's difficult for me to figure out the specific model I have (I tried using Everest Home Edition, but it reports my MB as the wrong one. I think it's the one I have listed, because it's the only one that lets me use C-Media's driver.) I downloaded the drivers, "installed them" (I don't know if the installer worked or not, because the .exe file is a self-decompressing RAR) but I can't figure out if my ports are working as 2.0, or normal. When I plug my pendrive in, ReadyBoost says that "this device does not meet the required characteristics for use in speeding up my system", and I know that it worked once; only I can't remember how I got it to work...

Is there any way to find out if my Vista install is actually using the 2.0 drivers, or measure the speeds of the ports so I can know if they're working properly? Thanks in advance for any reply, and sorry for the long read.

2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

open the Windows Device Manager (hit Windows + R keys, then in the Run box enter devmgmt.msc),
    then select "Devices by connection" from the drop down "View" menu,
    then expand the following items:
    + ACPI xXX-based PC
    + Microsoft ACPI-Compliant...
    + PCI bus,
    if you see "USB2 Enhanced Host Controller" is listing under the PCI bus and also shows no sign of problem, then the USB2 compatible controller of your system is working. if you want to see the drivers of the host controller, then R-click the item and select Properties and then select the Drivers tab.

3. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

Try a non illegal build, it should work.

Build 5840 was only released via the warez community.

RTM is build 6000 and has been released to legit testers/businesses and the USB support is just fine.

4. darkeyce

darkeyce New Member

Actually...

I have the RTM build and my setup also does not recognize my usb 2.0 ports...it sees them all as 1.1.

(FWIW My build is legit and legally acquired)My config

I have a dfi lanparty UT (nforce4 ultra), with amd X24800, running Vista x64.
    Frankly my USB support has been pretty flakey... but flakeiness not withstanding, us there a USBstor.sys that soemone has verified works with my setup?

5. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

How are you verifying the transfer rates on the USB?

Just curious.

Other beta testers have that same mobo and the USB support is working fine.

Have you forced installed old XP drivers or is this a vanilla setup using only default Vista drivers?

6. darkeyce

darkeyce New Member

I'm relying on feedback from vista, things like the "this device cab perform faster" message as well as device manager indicating devices (when they appear) are connected to the standard controller rather than the enhanced controller.

I've gotten reliable funtionality by disabling one of the USB Hub devices that appears in diveice manager. If I uninstall and let it reinstall it eventually fails.

7. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

Hmm, have you tried going to the device manager properties for the device and telling it to use the performance option?

I do that and get around 10MBps out of my USB flash drives and full speed out of my hard drives.

8. darkeyce

darkeyce New Member

no..haven't tried that...but when i saw your post i did...and...I dont have any options like that...the only way i get any USB devices (except my logitech mouse) to work is by disabling the Hub device that appears...Then everythign works fine but i cant use readyboost...

9. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

I'm not talking about the hub :)

I'm talking about the actual Disk drives entry in Device Manager.

[​IMG]

See where Vista is highlighted there? Thats the Volume Name.

Your USB Drive should show up there when inserted. Change it to be set for Performance in the options there.

Also are all the USB slots in the PC USB 2.0? Alot of times there will be a mix of 1.1 and 2.0 slots.

One last thing also is that not all USB drives are capable of true USB 2.0 speeds. Alot of your less expensive drives out there get only a few MBps transfer speeds and ReadyBoost actually requires a really fast USB flash drive in order to work.

It also requires it be at least a 256MB stick, and it will only allow one device to be setup for ReadyBoost.

10. darkeyce

darkeyce New Member

So...I can set up performcne but it seems to be affecting the way caching is done rather tahtn "fixing" anything
    i've been trying a few differnthings...and it seems that my setup doesnt even see USB during a vista install...for whatever reasonteh enhanced USB dirver for Vista breaks and does not recodnize devices...
    i cant belive i'mthe only person seeing this...

11. andy24r

andy24r New Member

You are not the only one with this problem. None of my devices are connecting at 2.0 either. I also had to disable one of my usb controllers to get anything to work. I still have not found any sollution to this problem though. I am also having trouble with video. Which I think is related to a chipset driver problem as well. I can't run a PCIe dual DVI card with a PCI video card and get aero. Also the performance with the second card enabled is extreemly slow. And this is with the RTM Vista Code.

12. darkeyce

darkeyce New Member

Glad (and sorry) to hear I'm not alone...I've ordered a replacement motherboard, an abit that has and ATI chipset instead of an nforce4. I'll let you guys know how it tunrs out this weekend.

13. darkeyce

darkeyce New Member

Well it was defienitly my Lanparty UT Ultra-D having a problem...I replaces it with an Abit AT8-X32 and the ports are fine...I don't know if it was a Nforce4 thing or not as this board is RD580/Express3200 based (ATI). But it is runnign happily now...Well amost happily ...it seems the abit board has an ACPI problem with Vistsx64...looks like it might need a driver update as the ACPI device is "unknown"...I jsut cant win.

14. ahamhum

ahamhum New Member

question for Crash Override

in reply to problems with USB hard drive enclousure not being recognized you posted the following:

"Have you forced installed old XP drivers or is this a vanilla setup using only default Vista drivers?"

I have recently done exactly that. There was a fire at the telephone exchange that took down the broadband for a week & I force loaded my USB modem using an XP driver, on Vista Business edition - legal stuff.

Can you fill in the blanks for me? What have I done & what do I need to do to patch things back together?

Thanks & much appreciation

15. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

since he is banned from this site, he probably can't reply you.

anyhow, for USB modem's, the modem's own driver may be necessary, USB hard disk drives (usually) do not need a device driver.

have you checked info on how to use the device under the operating system at the drive maker's website?

16. ahamhum

ahamhum New Member

USB Hard drive enclosure problem with Vista

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have checked the maker's site -- the enclosure will accept any PATA drive & should connect without drivers to either a 1394 firewire port or a USB port. According to other message boards there are some issues with 1394 for drives over 120 gb -- mine is 160.

I have also recently had problems with a USB flash drive not being recognized ( though previously connected USB flash drives are recognized) & this has come up since i forced the XP driver for my USB modem, so I guessed that there might be a connection when it was mentioned here.

In anycase I have looked around the net for solutions and this message board seemed the most knowledgabe I have come across, so I am hopeful that I will find a solution here.
    Many thanks for taking the time to help

17. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

try this, remove all USB devices from your computer, and then start the system with PS/2 keyboard and computer mouse, this is just to make sure that your system won't lock up because of the Windows Plug and Play can't provide the device drivers during the Windows startups due to so many Windows owns and other services and drivers are trying to load at that same time.

then after you log on to Vista, follow steps below...

R-click on My Computer,
    select Properties from the context menu,
    click "Advanced system settings"
    click Advance tab, and then click "Environment Variables"
    under the "System variables" click New... then in the Variable name: type DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES and in Variable value: type 1, and then click OK and close all the applets.

then restart the Windows and then go to the Windows's Device Manager, under the View menu select "Show hidden devices", then in the main window click the + front of "Universal Serial Bus controllers", then under that R-click each and every items and select "Uninstall", then exit the Device Manager and restart the computer, then allow Windows to reinstall the device drivers again and see if this helps?

18. ahamhum

ahamhum New Member

thanks for taking the time to detail this for me. I can't remember th elast time i saw a PS2 mouse but I will track one down & be back with a yea or nay when i get the results of the experiment.

19. ahamhum

ahamhum New Member

Well, the answer is both yea and nay -- sound like Vista? i did get the OS to recognize the HD, once i went thru th process you detailed. However re-loading the numerous USB devices i have proved too much of a challenge for both Vista and for myself. random processes and beta testing OSs is not really my idea of a good time.

In the end i re-loaded a previos Acronis image that I had made of my OS partition, and I am now back to not being able to recognize the HD. I guess what I need to know is where to find out what is actually going on in Vista so I can understand the process & move from there. Can you point me to a good source for reading material on how the OS handles USB divices that would be accessable to and old tech dinosaur -- (IBM mainframes & COBOL & a bit of assembler) ie i can get my head into this stuff, but i don't know the intracies of MS code & tech stuff.

Thanks again for th help

20. theunclear

theunclear New Member

I got mine fixed

My vista 32-bit didn't recognize my flash drive.
    This is what I did.

1. Plugged my flash drive in the usb 2 port.
    1. Went to Device Manager.
    2. With View Devices by Type on, there was a category* "Universal Serial Buss controllers" right below "System devices"
    3. There was a yellow exclaimation mark under it.
    4. Right clicked and Uninstalled
    5. Then right clicked the category* and updated hardware changes.
    6. "New" drivers were installed and now it works.

Hope that helps.