Vista Upgrade question from an upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Datagg, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Datagg

Datagg Back To ATI

i currently have Vista Business 32 bit here which I then upgraded to Vista Ultimate 32 VIA online upgrade option. So all here is 32 bit

Im thinking about going to the ultimate 64 bit version, but don't see an option to upgrade via that route. According to the site, i would need to enter my Vista Business license , then order a 64 bit version of it. But thats not what i want, I want to upgrade from my Ultimate 32 version I did from the internet to the 64 bit version of ultimate.

Unless im missing something, i dont see how i can upgrade to 64 bit ultimate from my original Business 32 DVD.

I hope I am explaining this ok....

2. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Unfortunately you cannot upgrade to 64bit from within a 32bit environment. The only way to upgrade is a clean install and you will need the dvd to do that:(

Edit- Another thought is that supposedly all Vista dvd's include all versions on them. However, I'm not sure if that includes the 64bit. Check your Business dvd and see if it has the 64bit versions on there. If it does you might be able to do a clean install using that disk and then using your new Ultimate key to activate. Worth a look

Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  3. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Explanations fine, when you run the ultimate file you downloaded does it not give you the option of installing in 32bit or 64bit? If not I don't see how you'll be able to do this without a call to MS support, they may be able to send you a 64bit disk but i'd imagine they'll try to charge you again for it.

4. Datagg

Datagg Back To ATI

i dont recall there being that option.... Seeign as how it was an upgrade to the 32 business version, I wonder if that meant id only get the 32 bit version Of ultimate.

Im just hopeing I dont get screwed on this as far as upgrades go. i see they are offering it for a minimul price for upgrades via the original disk....but from an other upgrade im unsure.

5. Datagg

Datagg Back To ATI

i just thought of something.... i do own x64. Do you think, I could resinstal that...Then use my anytime vista upgrade disk to download the ultimate version(that i own) from the digital locker, and see if it includes a 64 bit version.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

You cannot upgrade from a x64 windows XP install to vista...
    You cannot upgrade from any 32BIT OS (xp/vista) to an x64

The 32bit DVDs that microsoft packaged up only include the 32bit versions of all the Vista OSes.

You'll need the 64bit DVD to install the 64bit versions of vista.

Also, i beleive with the inpending SP1 due out later this year, Microsoft MAY or MAY NOT have come up with a more uniform way of more easily making the transition from 32bit to 64bit (including both sets of 32 and 64bit OSes on a single dual layer DVD)

7. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Yes you can, MS will send out a 64-bit copy of any retail Vista version if the 32-bit version is already purchased. The user only pays shipping/tax, which comes out to about $15 CAD from what I've seen.

Vista Ultimate retail includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

8. Judas

I'm saying from an upgrade standpoint, not from the ability to actually get a copy to "upgrade" which actually requires a clean install.

9. Datagg

Datagg Back To ATI

I ordered an upgrade version yesterday.... So in 5 days they will send me a 64 bit version of My Business edition. Then i will do a fresh install. Once that is done, i will go to my digital locker that i had ordered the previous version of ultimate 32 and initaite the download again. This time however, it will see my system is now a 64 bit OS and therefore download the 64 bit version of ultimate.

This was all confirmed by a call to MS yesterday.

cost for the migration disk $10.00

I added fast shipping up to 5 days for $6.95

Total cost out the door $16.95

10. Judas

don't you just have to pop the DVD that came with your business vista package, back into the machine and the use it to install the additional files for ultimate?

11. Datagg

Datagg Back To ATI

That would be true, but my DVD is business, and the ultimate is from an onine download purchase..so once I do a fresh instal of the 64 business once i get it, then i will have to redownload the ultimate version which then will instal the files needed to complete it all and have ultimate 64.

12. JonnyBlazexx

JonnyBlazexx New Member

Vista Business 64

Hello there,

I noticed your recent issues with Vista and I was hoping you could direct me to the right channel by which I can order the migration dvd? I currently have the windows vista business premium 32bit dvd. I just ordered another 2GB of ram (making it 4GB) and stupid 32bit Vista only shows 2980MB upon booting. I was hoping that for 15 dollars or so I could reinstall with the 64bit version. Would really appreciate any help that could be offered.

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

13. Datagg

Datagg Back To ATI

Sure here you go bro

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx