Vista: x64 vs. x86

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Vikingod, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

All right, I've looked around and can't find anything solid.

Can someone explain how x64 versions of Vista will be delivered? Will you have to buy a separate 'x64' version of Vista (just like XP), or when you buy, say, Vista Home Pro, will it have both versions on one disk that can be installed at your will. The main question is this, does purchasing a Vista license give you access to both the x64 and x86 versions?

I've heard both, and from the same sites. Everyone seems to be contradicting themselves. Any clarification would be wonderful, sources much appreciated.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Actually vikinggod, I had heard that both x64 and x86 would be available on the same disc. And that apon installing, by default if you can run x64, that x64 would be selected (and by hitting a F key, you could run the x86 installation instead).

A full dual Layer DVD disc is what vista is "saposed" to be launched on with both versions included. (this is what i've been told)

Vikingod likes this.
  3. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Thats what I had heard as well, but then reading about how they are handling the "upgrade" versions (where the only way to get x64 Vista, you need to have purchased x64 XP) I am totally confused. Sure would be nice for MS to release something that clearly explaines the situation.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Remember, When you buy vista, you are buying not a single cd with a single version of windows on it, but a dvd with ALL x86 and x64 versions of Vista, right from the basic to ultimate in one package. When you plug in the CD KEY, the cd key will then know exactly what version you have and install it. You COULD trail ultimate for as long as it lets you use it without activation. (as you can continue to install vista without CD key but apon activating you'll see what happens ;) )

Anyways, It's kinda interesting and more efficient for ms as they just make a billion dvds the exact same, then package it with a cd key that matches whatever build it is and sell it.

So for upgrade, you buy the vista dvd, upgrade freely to whichever version you want. Then if you say want ultimate or something above what you got, you just buy a cd key and use the same disc.

So hopefully i haven't confused you but:

Buy Vista (whatever version) and it will have already have x86/x64 versions of vista on it, PLUS Every vista version from basic to ultimate on it as well of the 32/64 bit flavors.

5. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

Actually it's one box with 2 DVD's inside. One DVD is all the X64 version on 1 DVD and the other is all the X86 versions on 1 DVD.

As a tester I just got my RTM copies of X86 & 64bit given to me the other day.