Vista's dead: Microsoft kills an OS and no one cares

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MIG-31, Jul 2, 2009.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

For anyone still burning a torch for Windows Vista, its time is rapidly approaching. Buy now or forever hold your peace.

I can't say I'm surprised at how any of this has turned out. After all, Vista's launch was, to be charitable, rocky. When it first arrived just before Christmas 2006, it was late, bloated and, for some, expensive. It may have looked pretty on the outside, but critics quickly pounced on it for driver incompatibility, sluggish performance on mainstream -- and sometimes even high-end -- hardware and enough bugs to fill a family-sized tent on a weekend camping expedition. Microsoft didn't help matters with its ill-fated "Vista Capable" designation -- a public relations debacle that convinced buyers who were too lazy to read the fine print that Vista would run just as well on hardware barely suited for XP.

2. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

Good thing my copy of Vista Ultimate was free courtesy of a limited time offer for Beta testers or I'd be pissed!

To me, Windows 7 is everything that Vista was meant to be but Microsoft decided to go for a money grab rather than put out a quality product.

3. Cannyone

Cannyone New Member

So what do you mean by "Vista's dead..."? It's not like M$ is going to cut off support. They're just coming out with something "new". So of course they want to get people to migrate.

What occurs to me is that Windows 7 "appears" even more Mac-like than Vista - and that was one of the complaints. But I found the new "features" to be fairly useful.

Also I will admit that I pre-ordered several copies of the "Upgrade". But I'm just that way...

4. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

I love Windows 7

5. WaltC

WaltC New Member

I'm surprised that there's anyone alive who doesn't know that Win7 *is* Vista--albeit with 2-years of improvements under the belt...;) Everything in Win7 is based on Vista--not on XP.

When I bought XP in '01 it was far less compatible than I found Vista to be when I bought Vista in '07. And talk about a plethora of bug fixes--XP is the winner hands down, with three service packs and gobs of separate fixes besides--all since '01 when it shipped.

It was primarily OEMs selling XP-equipped laptops advertised as "Vista capable" when they really weren't that gave Vista its bad rap. On my desktops at home I never had those problems since before I bought Vista I had already updated my hardware considerably. From the day I launched Vista on my DX9 graphics card I never had reason to revert to XP, and so I never did...;)

The anti-Vista sentiment accordingly never seemed like anything more than ignorance to me.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

this article screams drama......

talk about trying to still pull a crowd in using the band wagan slogan....

more bullshit imo

7. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Vista's dead? christ I don't know why many of these sites are so happy to see it go - they will need to find something else to spend 3 years bitching about.

Mac Daddy likes this.
  8. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

Windows 7 is like Vista SP3 (when you compare Windows XP and, say, Windows XP SP2... SP2 was a HUGE improvement but still the same OS)

9. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

Well i cant say i'm sad, i've been happy with ubuntu and winxp x64. the child without a father to drive his ambitions. It was tough getting drivers and finding backdoors(like getting itunes vista64 to work on plain X64)and regfixes to make things work. but I got it down to an art.

10. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

I've been using Vista for years and can't even imagine what it would be like to run XP anymore. The only thing the people who skipped Vista got was 3 years of missing out on the latest and greatest OS from MS. No wonder Windows 7 looks so good to them! It's a Vista you're allowed to like. (Right, media? That's what you want me to think about Windows 7, right? That I like it?)

11. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

I have worked with both OS's and as always in life they have there Pro's and Con's. If we don't work forward we will never progress some people need to have a more open perspective on things.

Damn Straight !!

12. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I hated Vista for the first two years it was out not because it was a bad OS but because my antiquated hardware struggled to run it, 90% of it worked great but there was always some 10% which caused me endless headaches; as soon as I upgraded to hardware newer than Vista I fell in love. Hands down this is the best OS I have ever used. Security, stability, performance...it's all there.

If Windows 7 is really just a better version of Vista than I will definitely switch to it. For now, I'm remaining a Windows 7 virgin and will continue to do so until Windows 7 Ultimate 64 RTM is released :D

13. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Out of curiosity, I took a look at the Windows 7 versions and it looks like MS changed the Ultimate version to tailor to the corporate user.

Which one is right for you?

It seems like if you were making a gaming/multimedia pc the home premium edition would be perfect. Anyone using Windows 7 Home care to comment? Does it have the Ultimate Extras from Vista?

14. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I can't stand these fools that now, probably after upgrading their own hardware, try to push the view that 7 is not just better but that Vista still sucks. Their ego is only surpassed by their stupidity.

15. Al_Vampyre

Al_Vampyre Well-Known Member

I never quite understood the level of hatred that plagued Vista - in my experience it's a great OS especially the x64 flavour. If anything it's the online media that are killing Vista not MS.

16. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

It is a great OS, it just won't run well on the 25 year old hardware that most journalists appear to own.

Its been a fascinating thing for me to watch however as we have been testing all the hardware in our reviews on it and have been successfully using it (as well as OSX) to design and maintain our company websites for years. Amuses me to see some journalist jumping on the bandwagon to get hits from google search when he can't seemingly get Microsoft Word to run well. :lol:

17. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

Yeap, what convinced me was various hardware reviews which showed Vista no longer dragging behind Xp with competent drivers. PC Gaming, first and foremost, will highlight any weakness in an OS or drivers so for that reason I trust the opinion of gamers over other hardware journalists and bloggers.

18. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

Dont share your sentiments gentlemen did i really miss out that much?

19. RE III - Frankie

RE III - Frankie Banned

Vista is it as far as I'm concerned too. XP can go to Hell though. As for Windows 7? It isn't out yet, but from I've seen it ain't much ado about nothin' either.

20. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

still on XP and not planning to move mind you.