Vivaldi Hits Version 1.0 and It's Looking Good!

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by IvanV, Apr 21, 2016.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Vivaldi is a web browser made by former Opera employees made with the idea to offer all the features and customizability that Opera lost when it, essentially, became yet another chromium implementation.

Early betas seemed a little clunky, yet promising, but the now that version 1.0 is out, I can (personally) say that it's looking really good! I have to say that this makes me a very happy camper as I really haven't been altogether happy with any of the available browsers since Opera stopped being what it used to be - the most feature complete browser there was. :)

So, long story short, I recommend everyone to head over here and give it a go. :)

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

What sort of features sets it apart from the rest?

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Well, the old Opera had everything but the kitchen sink, including a decent built in email client and even a bit torrent client. Vivaldi hasn't got all that (they are still working on the mail client), but it's still got (out of the box) stuff like
    • notes (you can easily save text snippets from web pages and it will store them along with web addresses from which the texts originated)
    • mouse gestures
    • lots of neat shortcuts (Ctrl+click opens link in a new background tab, Shift+click opens link in a new tab and switches to it...) which are all customizable
    • thumbnail previews for open tabs (which can appear on mouse over, or be displayed at all times)
    • you can have pinned tabs, but it's also got a side panel where you can add "web panels"; web panels are similar to pinned tabs, except they are not cluttering the tab bar when you don't need them, they are confined to their own "drawer" instead; they aren't shown when the side panel is closed, but when you open it, you can get king of a split screen setup;
    • it's totally customizable, for example, you can have your tab bar on any of the 4 edges of the window, or hide it completely; keyboard shortcuts, colour schemes, it's all changeable.