Volume sliders : 0-100 (instead of db) possible ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by geoslake, Mar 16, 2009.

1. geoslake

geoslake New Member

As title says.
    All those years, I was still using 35.34 just because of this.
    I just hate this -db system, I don't manage to adjust things properly.
    I hear nothing from -inf to -50 or so (I know it's normal, but it's useless here, to me).
    Before I used to unmute (if it was muted) and set it to "2" with one single mouse wheel roll, now I have to set it to -40 or -34, or was it -37.5 ?
    It takes much more time, really annoying.

I will probably go back to 35.34, but I wanted to ask here if there's anyway to have that in newer versions, or maybe to implement that as an option.

p.s. I forgot, the driver is still amazing :)

2. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

IMHO, there are more pressing issues I would rather have worked on in leu of this, which seems more of a backwards step. Considering we can load a saved state later pretty much makes this a non-issue for me.

3. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

It is much easier to "add up" a bunch of db "steps" in a signal chain :)

as far as knowing what to do; db is just a logarithmic scale (non linear); since you do not hear linearly it works quite nicely. Every difference of 10 db will either increase or cut the "percieved volume" by 2 or 1/2 respectively. so going from -10 db to -20 db will make things "half as loud"... so assuming you start at -0 db (some call it "unity" :/, especially people who use mackie mixer boards but thats another story hah) if you want "50%" volume, you just cut the volume by 10 db; another -10 db will give you 1/4 (25%) the volume and so on.

There are other relationships too that can be useful... every difference of 3 db will double or half the *POWER* you are using; so going up 3 db (actually 10log(2)=3.01029936, not 3 but its close enough) so if you are using 100 watts rms (rms~average) (if you were producing a sine wave for some reason) and then "go up 3 db louder" you will be using 200 watts rms; this can be useful when setting the gain ratios on your system :) *note: 10 db is 10x the power difference (or 1/10) so "turning it up twice as loud" increases your power output on your amplifier/receiver by 10x (100w rms > 1000 w rms)

as far as being -50 db and not being able to hear things, this also depends on the stereo/system you are using. are the "gain knobs" or "volume controls" (depending if its pro or consumer equipment) set to be at "maximum"? if not, and I would not recommend setting them at maximum unless you NEED to, you probably cannot or can barely hear the music. this is because the "sound energy" is at 1/100,000 the intensity as before.

*personal opinion; it is probably a GOOD thing that you cannot or can barely hear things at -50 db, that means whatever you are listening to music on does not have the volume maxed out. Generally speaking, it is best to run your signal output (what comes out of your mixer/computer (sound card)) around -0 db (100%); depending on what you are doing, you may want to generate some headroom to prevent clipping, if you are not adding any positive gain though it should not matter (any peaking eq, low/high shelfs with + gain) could *potentially* clip running a signal @ -0db because you cannot add more than 100% :)... yes i know the dsp has + 6db of headroom but I am talking about general case to keep the sound clean.
    -it is best to run at -0 db because that means that the signal to noise ratio is going to be the greatest at this state... for example lets say the "noise floor" is at -90 db; so anything at or below -90 db is noise/"static"; if you are running music at -40 db, rather than at -30 db, you have 10 db more noise (granted its gonna be hard to hear but its there)

4. geoslake

geoslake New Member

Thanks for you detailed answer, however this doesn't help me out.
    I used to set my slider to "2", and the level was fine for either my screen speakers or my mackie monitors.
    I cannot change the volume on those, which are directly connected to the audigy.

Now I have the feeling that it's much more "sensitive".
    Like, for listening to music A, -40 is fine, for game B, -36 is fine, for game C -30 is needed and the list goes on.
    Of course I don't want to open the mixer each time BEFORE I run a game (for instance), and having to remember which level it has to be set to. Nor do I want to go back to the desktop once I have launched the game, because I've realized that the sound is too loud or too soft.

About not beeing able to hear when below -50db, of course it's normal, I just meant the half of the slider course is "wasted", and makes the other remaining half too sensitive (as we have like 3 cm to define the listening level, where we had 6 cm with the 0-100 system).

So I'm back to 34.35.

5. Chester01

Chester01 New Member

in reguards to the "wasted slider" (I am assuming it is too loud above -30...) you could just insert a gain and always have it at -30... right before the outputs so anything you set would actually be -30 -(some more)... also there is a way to map the windows volume control to a volume control plugin in the dsp... you would have to search this out, see here: http://www.driverheaven.net/general-discussion/119005-new-ma-command-console.html you would need either a "multimedia keyboard button" or to remap two keys you dont use with a keyboard re-mapper program

6. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

I already hinted to a simple work around also....

Save kX config, then make a batch file that executes that kX config prior to running an application - Then execute that batch file to launch the said application, which, in effect, can chance kX config for each circumstance/application.