VPU Recover uses any of the services?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Shadow Lady, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

if so which one it uses

im just wondering since i have a very unstable Card right (hey, im happy just being able to play for 15mins or somethen) and i need to use the VPU recover so i dont have to restart everytime somethen funny happen, thx in advance for teh info ;)

2. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

Ma'dam

not to sure if the VPU recover reqires any services or not, but i can tell u that i have almost every possible Win XP service disable (courtesy of BlackViper) and once i install some new CAT's or Omega's I usually get 2 more services Set on Auto Run. ATI Hot Key Poller, and ATI SMART, I dont use hot keys, so, chop, n the Smart im pretty sure is just that auto config it does the 1st boot after fresh install, dont know exactly but it goes too. :D

anyway....

never had any stability issues, the only thing i noticed was my overdrive doesnt work on a 9800xt, but juss atributed that too the the hot key poller services as it seems it would be doing sum monitering anyway. Can anyone confirm this? Hope this is juss a lil useful Shadow Lady :confused: :hmm: :p

3. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

disabling HotKey Poller obviously disables the hot keys, and can disable the OverDrive section in the ATI Control Panel/Control Center, i dunno if it makes the overdrive not to work, but it wont show the panel for it, so i guess it disables it.

as for the ATI Smart service it seems to continually detect system conditions at boot time and adjust SmartGart settings if needed to maintain stability, and this one seems to do the trick for VPU recover, im just not too sure

im asking cause i dont like this services running, but i dont want to risk my stability by disabling this resources hogs

4. CATALYST maker

CATALYST maker ATI driver guru

keep it on, its not that big, really

:)

5. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld New Member

ATI Smart is set automastic on my PC, but is not started. I clicked start, it started then stopped, message box came up

'ATI smart started then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example Performance Logs or Alerter service'.

Guess ATI Smart falls in the same category.
    So leaving it on automatic it will only start when needed and not 'hog' resources at any other time.

6. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

yeah, i've been letting Hotkey poller to disabled and ati smart to automatic all the time seeing that same effect, still, no one has really answered my question ;p

7. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

The VPU Recovery featyre relies on having the ATI Hotkey Poller service running.

That's why there are two instances of it in the task list. I haven't seen any way to just disable one (hotkeys) while keeping the other (VPU). I have been hoping for ATI so solve doing this in a more elegant fashion but it seems to be staying like this. Not a big thing on most systems. Just mildly irritating. ;)

8. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

yeah irritating it is, is not too much about the resource hog, but much like... i dont like many things to be initiated with windows lol

ohh well... i guess ill need to keep it that way :-I

i guess Terry told me before i just didnt want to listen, lol