Wanna add some IP ranges into ZoneAlarm to block

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by tek, Jan 31, 2004.

1. tek

tek New Member

Damn, long subject title.... oh well lol.

krazy1 recently sent me a KICKASS list of IP ranges to block (RIAA, etc) and I'm completely lost on how to add them to the 'block list' for ZoneAlarm, maybe I should've asked krazy1 directly but I dont wanna bother him no more than I already have, thanks again krazy1.

Anybody know?
    thanks, tek

2. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

in ZA's HELP, Search for " Adding to the Blocked Zone "
    and see if this's what you're looking for?

3. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I know there is a faster way to do it than adding them all in manually which the helpfile in ZAP tells you how to do-

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/convert.html
    I haven't added any IP ranges to my blocked list yet- but I was going to, I just haven't gotten around to it yet-

the site I showed above will convert your list to a ZA v4 xml file if it is in a format that can be input- I did it with my peerguardian list-

But I haven't input the file into ZA yet- I think there are directions here somewhere and here among other places. I'm sure you will find out before me- so when you do let me know- maybe post a link or something.

4. tek

tek New Member

Thanks, whenever I'm really bored again I'll figure this out.
    ;)

5. BWX

BWX get out and ride

lol- that's what I was thinking-

I was doing a little research yesterday and found out that ZAP really wasn't designed to handle more that 300 or so IP ranges/addresses, and that more can cause problems, I had to register in a forum to see it- but basically, maybe it would be easier to let Protowall do it or something- http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36703

I like peerguardian, but it uses up about 80mb of ram if not more- that's just too much. I think I'm gonna get Protowall and add IP ranges from PG- Protowall is driver level and uses less recourses I guess.

6. tek

tek New Member

Check the newer PeerGuardian - says it uses less CPU and less RAM power.
    :confused:

7. krazy1

krazy1 Live from the Dungeon

Well you can ask me but I don't know either...heheh I don't use ZA.. I use Astaro Sorry...

Edit: and don't worry about troubling me.. I love to help on the Security end of things... that is my favorite stuff...:D Never a bother and I am more then willing to help anyone out..

8. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yean, I know- I have the latest version-

I'll do a little test right now- I'll look in the task manager w/o it running right now, and see how much mem is being used, then I will start PG and see the difference..

Before with 2 IE windows open, ZAP in systray and OE open: 149mb

Same w/ PG open: 208mb! That's crazy!

9. BWX

BWX get out and ride

yeah, I think I'm gonna just check out that Protowall thing- I think too many IP addresses/ranges slows down ZAP too much and it seems Protowall will use very little recources.

10. tek

tek New Member

Wow thats a lot, if that protowall thing works out - tell me about it bro, thanks :)

11. craig588

craig588 Banned

wow! for me the newest version of PG only uses 55M.

12. tek

tek New Member

thats an assload dude.

I only have 512 megs and Norton runs 24/7 along with zonealarm and some other crap.

13. craig588

craig588 Banned

51,616K of ram used according to task manager

14. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

that's alot of IP addresses as i see it. no easy way of filtering that much unwanted connections, especially when we can only have and use IPs to block.. tho we can do it using XP's IP Security Policies but still we'll have to feed in all the info one by one.

if we could use their URL then its something else and we can reject those connections easily through the use of the hosts file just by routing all of them to another addresses like 0.0.0.0 or even our local machine address 127.0.0.1. with that so much addresses still can be done easily by the help of a good IP lookup program and a good text editor.
    its not like that at all so i think you need those kind of program, as i can see its designed just for this. you'll have to check it out for which one is fitted for your system and needed.
    as for Mem usage, i'd not worry about how much memory it take when it running as long as it does not increase so many (wonder how it'll run on a system with 128mb memmory) and i'd not worry either re how much of avail ram that you're monitoring, remember XP is trying hard to find some use for all RAM (no matter how much ram you have) at all times and its very demanding on this matter.

anyway, i dont have this prob personally but i like to know abit about it and i found this http://news.dmusic.com/article/6136 check it out maybe you've not seen it or it's old news to you. i'd glad if any info help you out in anyway.

15. tek

tek New Member

Think you could block all these IP's via router web settings? where you block certain IP's and programs?

16. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

Tek, i'm not sure about the questions but if you mean how to block certain IPs completely, then i'd think of using other firewall which has Rulesets like Sygate, Agnitum Outpost firewall, then we can config using its rules creation features. i dont think ZA can do well in this matter but for program's, ZA can block any program that try to access the internet or stop any program trying to act as server. it blocks the program (not port) from trying to sent/receive any info from internet and its what i want from ZA and i can see its very good at doing it. anyway, i'm still lacking knowledge in this field i mean all internet security, still alot to learn, so pls anyone has more comment or things to add..

17. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Why would you want to block the RIAA?

18. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

actially they monitor file shareing networks and invade your privacy/spy one etc..... stuff that would be illegal if it were not for the patroit act takeing away our rights

19. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I don't care what their reasons, or if I have any warez or not- I still will protect my privacy. It's none of their (RIAA, etc..) business what I have or don't have. Unless they have a warrant, they don't have the right to be scanning my hard drive.
    People that don't understand that should rethink their position- it's like saying you don't care if the police come breaking down your door or not because you don't have any illegal contraband, they still don't have the right, just like the RIAA doesn't have the right to break into my machine.

20. krazy1

krazy1 Live from the Dungeon

Nicely put!! :D That is the EXACT reason I have so many different things blocked with my firewall... yes the RIAA included...:D