warning all users of overnet p2p!!.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Esaz666, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Esaz666

Esaz666 BeardHeaven

found this with a certain P2p program (not overnet) seems very dodgy to me,
    is at a ruse to scare people off swapping or is it true?. I definately dont trust
    microsoft's .net software anyway, probarbly not true but its not the kind of thing
    you like to see anyway. ....

Major Overnet warning!!!!

Some apparently leaked information has come to our attention and if it’s true, using Overnet could put you in jail!

Allegedly the maker of edonkey who goes by the name Swampy was busted by the Fed’s a couple of months ago. As a part of a plea bargain to keep himself out of jail he agreed to let them have full access rights to his web site. Swampy did NOT create Overnet the Fed’s did however by appending Swampy’s name to it and distributing it via his web site meant it would be trusted through out the community. They used Microsoft’s .net software on purpose because it easily and secretly allows them to track users based on IP and Mac addresses via a special proxy server, It logs what their sharing and what their downloading each time they connect to Overnet. This information is also passed on to otherlaw enforcement agencies world wide.Overnet is NOT server less as it claims; the GUI just hides them along with many hidden features like the proxy server connection. They only want you to see what they want you to see.

Bottom line is if you already use or have used Overnet they already know who you are where you are and what you have done. Could be only a matter of time before they come a knocking!

P.S. Also the forum moderators at the edonkey web site have been replaced by Fed posers so be careful what you post their.

2. thorpe

thorpe New Member

Gulp. :oops:

3. HsuGotaQ

HsuGotaQ Hydrogenated Dumbass

Dude... sounds scary, but then again, I live in Canada (woot). However I'd really like to see some evidence and/or proof. Just in case you might be a scare tactic too (hello fbi agent). Then again if your not, it's cool anyway. :duh:

4. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

It's a scare tactic

Overnet has been out well over a year now

So how could the feds have developed it only a couple of months ago?

Also Overnet is serverless. Any idiot can view their connection logs and see who is contacting them rather easily

*sighs* this is almost as bad as the friend of mine who sends me about 5 or 6 things a day saying I have to keep sending that IM to everyone on my list or AOL will shut down Yahoo messenger

And no thats not a typo, it literally says AOL will shut down YAHOO messenger. A company that they dont even own :rolleyes:

5. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

sound like a buch of bull .....

6. Markius

Markius New Member

isnt there a law to stop this kind of shit??
    thats like your house getting searched with out a warrant while your not even home...:hmm:

7. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

what shit?

its not even true at all lol

its hilarious though to see things like this circulate from p2p or emails or IM's to being on a board and seeing the responses.

I swear though if I ever meet the person who sent the first spam IM on Yahoo Im gonna kick their ass hardcore.

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

.....well.... the laws are being bent quite a bit lately.. and they keep dragging it back to the sapposed source "09/11/01" .....any company will use that when they have a chance of getting ahead....

9. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

those actually have to do with the monitoring of email of those who are believed to be suspected terrorists and such. same with phones and postal mail

but they cannot put up and application and pretend say hey come here and use this application that will allow you to download illegal files and then arrest you for it

thats called entrapment and that is still illegal

10. mbeeston

mbeeston New Member

*sticks with kazaa*

11. Markius

Markius New Member

there you go, there is a law to stop it.
    for the record i didnt say whether it was true or not! ;)

12. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

oh I know.....sometimes my posts come off rougher than I mean them to :(

its a tone of voice thing.....people would hear the levity if they were here

13. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

Bit torrent is the way to go :D

14. Esaz666

Esaz666 BeardHeaven

just imagine, this is how rumours start, if he did get busted
    and then changed the programme so that it got every1s ips
    and then logged all the files. Then bang all the files you downloaded
    the companies send you the bill .....

if you dont pay up then you get taken to court and end up owing the money anyway
    they could do it, these big companies can do what they like( theyve got the laywers and politicians in there pockets).

NOoooooo ....

Gate$, HP , Riaa ,Mpaa Corperation heaven....

:D :D :D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2004
  15. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

....i'm also getting tired about the crap the some of the major US people that are trying to get the same law in canada..... it's just starting to drive me nutz..... it's to damn late... our Recordable media is already taxed.. they can't do it... but i'm constantly hearing things like "Well, a step was made with canadian copy protection in the attempt to make it ilegal to..... blah blah blah blah BLAH"