WARNING!! BEWARE!! Current Windows Updates!!!

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Apr 14, 2005.

1. El Kapitano

El Kapitano Most of the 7 dwarfs in 1

No problems here at home either, along with (at work) 4 new dells, 1 compaq, 1 advent, 2 gateways and 3 toshiba satellite laptops.

(and an e fridge, e washing m/c and e toaster J/K [​IMG] sorry couldn't resist).

2. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Looks like a re-installation of windows might be in your future.. sometimes that's the only way to fix these weird bugs that come up.

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I know you're right...and I'm not looking forward to it, either. :(

BTW, still no reply from MS.

4. shadowfield

shadowfield New Member

Ive installed it on 2 computers, a VIA P3 chipset computer, and an Nforce2 chipset computer, no problems!

Sorry to hear that you had problems with it, ive had the same thing happen to me before with microsoft updates ;-; at least you fixed it!

5. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah it does suck, I had to do it a couple weeks ago. It's nice to have a clean install though for sure.

6. Dyre Straits

What's really annoying about this is that this particular installation was done from the 'new' Windows XP Home SP2 CD. AND, it's less than a couple months old. I just hate having to reinstall so soon and then, if the trend continues, later you have to deal with calling to get activation taken care of.

I know I have several activations left on this newly installed version, but, I don't like the thought of having to use them up so soon.

7. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

when you start your XP computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked) feature to troubleshoot the XP startup problems the last time, XP restores registry information and driver settings, the "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet" registry key that were in effect the last time the computer started successfully (which was saved at the last shutdown) has been restored. this did correct problems that are caused by the registry information, driver settings and i was not pay attention about you've used the LKG configuration before, so i'd also say this time that the services configuration is also included. and according to the Event log pic you posted above,
    the 'Service Control Manager' and 'DCOM' sources of the errors are both about indicating the failure of services and drivers startup. but, however, the LKG configuration does not/won't correct problems that are caused by corrupted files or drivers, so without doubt you didn't have problem with corrupted files.

i still have no idea atm why the update caused this problem,
    you may want to check in the KB893803.log file (the file is in \WINDOWS, if you have it), also take a look in the Event errors logs, to see if you can find some useful information about this problem in your XP.

8. Dyre Straits

Looking through that log file I find several lines that start with...

"Failed to query DriverPath of ROOT\LEGACY...."

Also these two lines:

7.719: SetupVerifyInfFile failed with error 0x490 for oem19.inf of device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4150&SUBSYS_20661002&REV_00\4&B7EB302&0&0008

12.907: SetupVerifyInfFile failed with error 0x490 for oem19.inf of device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4170&SUBSYS_20671002&REV_00\4&B7EB302&0&0108

AND a WHOLE section of this:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\KB893803_wxp.cat with error 0x57
    46.797: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    48.719: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    48.719: Copied file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msi.dll
    48.781: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    48.812: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    48.812: Copied file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
    48.812: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    48.984: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.015: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.015: Copied file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msihnd.dll
    49.015: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.515: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.531: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.531: Copied file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msimsg.dll
    49.531: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.578: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.578: Copied file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\msisip.dll
    49.640: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.750: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.750: Copied file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllCache\msi.dll
    49.750: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.765: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.765: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.812: Copied file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllCache\msiexec.exe
    49.812: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.828: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.828: Copied file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllCache\msihnd.dll
    49.844: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.906: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.906: Copied file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllCache\msimsg.dll
    49.906: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.922: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.
    49.922: MyMakePerFileExceptionA: MakePerFileException failed; error=0x6ba.

And finally, near the end:

53.812: In Function SetVolatileFlag, line 11576, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2
    53.812: In Function SetVolatileFlag, line 11593, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2

So, does any of this generate some thoughts on what could be the problem?

9. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

sorry, i can't be certain on what were on those lines, but it seems to me that might be some permissions problems. but i'll look around about this when i have time anyway. the Admins who installs the Windows hotfixes all the time may have some idea on the error lines of the log, and then the MS supports themself.

but, if i were you i'd try removing all of the last 4-5 Windows updates including the installer 3.1 which's i suspect you've already did/done this.

then D/L and re-install all the updates over again manually,
    but before i do this i'd also first reset all services to default and logged in Windows as the real built-in Administrator account.

note-- the last LKG configuration and all the changes that were made since the last successful startup are now gone and i'm not sure if you can use the new LKG configuration to start the XP again if you still having the same problem.

10. Dyre Straits

Thanks again for your suggestions and help.

I'm using the computer now online and doing my other stuff as well.

I tried to install that Installer 3.1 from Safemode logged on as Admin. Got the same result as posted above.

At this point, I've not tried to install any other of the recent updates that were downloaded yesterday. I HAVE, however, installed other Programs that installed and are working fine.

11. Dyre Straits

Quick update on this:

I did get a personal reply from someone at MS. Due to the nature of this problem, they've directed it to a technician who is to contact me. I'll keep you all updated on how things progress.

12. fire1811

fire1811 New Member

I installed all updates and had 0 problems

13. pigdog

pigdog New Member

All went smoothly for me too.

14. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Went ok, but can't install Kodak Easyshare - I wonder if Installer 3.1 is to blame.

Is it fairly easy to back it out and reapply, though with my luck, I'll probably find this other bug if I do that!

15. Dyre Straits

First off, let me say that I've got the attention of a tech at MS. We'll be exchanging e-mails. But, I have to first clarify for him exactly what the problem is.

Now, as for 'backing out of' this situation, what I had to do was boot into Safemode and Uninstall the Windows Installer 3.1 using the ADD/REMOVE function. Then, I had to hit the F8 key to get to the startup prompt again and this time select "Last good .....that worked."

I'm really hoping that this tech and I can get to the bottom of it without causing a bigger mess OR my having to reinstall Windows.

16. JojoFlori

JojoFlori New Member

A Big BSOD STOP. C000021a Fatal System Error

PIV 3,20GHz on a Assus P4P800-x, HD Sata Maxtor 150Gb, Gforce 5200 128Mb, 2x512Mb DDR Dual Channel (Kingstom).
    God Save me.
    After this M$ updates it never Happened on the past. Now, after Automatic Updates download and I install it, after reboot I'd received this error:
    STOP: C000021a {Fatal System Error} The Windows Logon Process System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000018 (0x00000000 0x00000000) The System has been shut down.
    Well after this, no F5 key neither F8 no way to safe mode, neither to the Last Known Good configuration Pc totaly hanged. The only solution I'd get it was a repair install with the original cd with SP2 included and after this all the M$ security patchs had gone. So, now i've my Pc working but it is not smooth and stable, I d'ont Know yet what's happening but I'll try and let you know.
    I'd surfed several pages and in Microsoft Techs too and nearly nothing I just got the Article ID: 156669 from M$ that I'm reading it yet, but I feel this would'nt resolve nothing. I've an Hijackthis log, if it is usefull I'll postr it, thanks lads.
    Someone can help? And sorry my english, I'm not a native...:x :mad: :annoyed: :tears: :sigh: :eek:

17. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

See the section "Resolving the Problem" in this Windows XP Resource Kit article...

Stop 0xC000021A or STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED

The Stop 0xC000021A message occurs when Windows XP Professional switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Windows XP Professional cannot run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. You cannot use the kernel debugger in this situation because the error occurred in a user-mode process.

and, If you use the Roxio GoBack (included with Norton System Works) see this article...

GoBack Causes a Stop Error C000021a (fatal system error).

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  18. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Confirmed by Kodak... Easyshare 4.02 install is broken by MS Installer 3.1 - procedure given to back out the update and install Easyshare, but the Easyshare download is currently unavailable (presumably while they sort out a more permanent solution)

The fact that MS Installer 3.1 has such a severe issue with backward compatibility, is worrying - how many other old applications will we not be able to re-install?

Sure, Kodak will be bound to fix this - to continue to support Easyshare, they must, but the blame for it is more fairly laid on Microsoft.

19. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i've been reading about programs that uses the installer and having the similar installation problem too, but have not yet seen any info about problem after the installer updating.

20. Dyre Straits

Is it possible that this Installer 3.1 is wreaking havoc with my system in such a way as to keep it from getting even to the Welcome Screen? That's what's happening with me on this particular system.