Warning for Ram Heat Spreader users

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Doomtrooper, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Doomtrooper

Doomtrooper Driverheaven Senior Member

This isn't really news related but thought I'd share my misfortune to save someone elase some hassles. I run a Athlon XP COMBO with 768 Megs of Crucial Ram, I installed heat Spreaders on the Ram (Thermaltake) for mild overclocking which required removing the stickers on the ram which I saved (it is only PC 2100) and ran my Ram at a conservative 138 mhz for approx a year.
    Two nights ago two of my Ram sticks failed...after contacting Crucial about replacement they have decided not to Honor their warranty since I removed the stickers and put heat spreaders on.
    I've had no issues before with Corsair or Mushkin in the past with heat spreaders so let this be a lesson to all you modders out there..Crucial will not support your ram if the stickers are removed, even if you keep them.
    Now off to buy some Corsair Ram.

2. nForcer

nForcer Twice the fun!

That sucks dude, sorry to hear about that.
    Corporate fine-print bull $h!t i guess.

I've never needed to overclock the ram on my machine. Still runs faster than everything except the 533 bus ram. Only thing holding me back is my processor speed.

Its a never-ending vicious cycle!

3. Louie6666

Louie6666 Just One Sick-Lizard

That really surprises me..but i guess it shouldn't, personally haven't had the need to use heat spreaders the highest i've run my fsb has been 147....but in future i'll probably be getting a ddr board & pumping lots of volts into memory..which will be a different story, one would hope, as these products are sold at premuim for overclocking, that will start producing them with a heat spreader...

there again after seeing the amount of effort that the manufactuers put to applying cooling tech i'd rather do it myself...so far haven't found a northbridge or a GPU which actually uses any kind of thermal goo :(

4. Furious

Furious I'm blind not deaf!!

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Putting heat spreaders on the ram indicates to anyone that it's been overclocked. No wonder they wouldn't honor the warranty. I wonder if Intel or AMD would honor their's if it was known that the processors had been run at a higher speed than stock?

Seems like common sense to me.

Anyway why would someone want a company to honor their warranty when they know that they've been running the product overclocked? If I'd been doing that I wouldn't have asked for a free replacement. It's part of the risk of overclocking as far as I'm concerned.

5. Vaporizer

Vaporizer WTF

Sorry to hear that, very unfortunate.

Do you really need heatspreaders tho.... i can run my Crucial PC2100 CL2.5 @ 210(420MHz)MHz without heatspreaders and IMO they dont get dangerously warm even at that speed. That is at 2.85V, with 2.75V they go to about or slightly over 200(400)MHz.

6. JAV

JAV Banned

Try the other tact: contact Thermaltake & tell them their spreaders failed, cooked your RAM & you want them to replace it. :D

The big ?, to me: why did the RAM fail if it was cooled? That oc isn't much, really, & I'm surprised you needed spreaders & they didn't work @ that RAM setting. :hmm:

All RAM I've ever bought states right on it that if you remove the stickers: the warrantee is voided. If Thermaltake requires/recommends removal for installation/use of their product, they should then assume the warrantee on the RAM, IMO. :cool:

JAV
    GBA!

7. Doomtrooper

Doomtrooper Driverheaven Senior Member

My computer acts as a server for gaming so I look for absolute stability...Plus I had them kicking around from my old store so I though what the heck..
    My main issue is Mushkin and Corsair SHIP with heat spreaders, and prior to that my one set PC 150 Muskin was sent back with a aftermarket heat spreader that I installed (before they started using them) and they had no problem with warranty.

In fact my one buddy has a modded case but doesn't overclock and just used them for looks..Crucial advertises as the peformance company but certainly doesn't support the enthusist crowd.

Anyhow just wanted to warn other people so they don't make that mistake.

8. Crucial-Kid

Crucial-Kid New Member

Hmm have you been reading some reviews of the Crucial PC2100, like Vaporizer is at they OC pretty damn nice, especially for PC2100. I have seen lots of review's where they reached 175MHz and above MHz with really aggressive RAM timings without any heat spreaders.

What I really cant figure out is why you go the heat spreader way, if you read a lot of the DDR-RAM he spreader reviews u see that most of the reviewers a not able to hit higher clock speed's or are able to run at better timings, if they are lucky the you are able to run at 1 degree lower temp. They simply don’t have the ability to transfer heat better than without, not them small mainstream ones, they might even do a worse job and spreading the heat from one chip to another.

I you want them to do the trick you really need to make em bigger or in another design than them slimy ones Corsair got (their DDR-RAM sux btw, 7.5ns RAM rated PC2700?). Crucial PC2100 are able to beat any PC2100 and PC2400 RAM and even some PC2700.

Just my thought of the heat spreader buzz

9. griff

griff New Member

I returned a 256 stick of Crucial 2100 about 4 months ago that had heat spreaders on it, and they pulled some of the stickers off. I told the fellow that I talkled to at Crucial and he said that did not matter, they sent me a new stick. Maybe just LUCKY. :) :)

10. tazdevl

tazdevl New Member

LOL you probably tear the label off your mattress, pillows and la-z-boy too. :D

Sorry to hear it, but as other folks mentioned, pretty straightforward issue. Tear the sticker off, voids the warranty. Actually I think the sticker has that stated on it. As you mentioned, the Corsair and Mushkin shipped with spreaders because they were optimized products in the first place.

Crucial guarantees that their products will run within a specified speed... taking off the sticker is the first sign that someone was most likely OC'ing, even if you weren't. I'd imagine most folks try to sneak one by them that fry their memory, I can understand why they wouldn't honor the warranty.

Lot's of debate out there whether heat spreaders do anything. In my experience, they haven't added one extra MHZ or bit of stability.