Warning to those expecting to use the windows 8.0 cd key in 8.1?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Judas, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Are you like most everyone that figured, "Hey, just like windows xp/vista/7, when a new version of the "same" os comes out, i'll still be able to use the same CD key to install directly from the newer ISO/DVD itself."

Example being: Have an original Windows 7 key, But install fresh/from scratch using a Windows 7 SP1 disk.

OR
    Have a windows Vista key, but install freshly from vista SP2 Disk.

WELL Boys and girls, if you were expecting to install 8.1 fresh using your existing 8.0 key, you're out of luck as the key is unrecognized and considers them all invalid.

I'm currently checking to see if installing 8.1 fresh using the provided 8.1 key, and then "changing it" when I get into windows 8.1 back to the systems original 8.0 key.

This is kinda fucked up imo.

Just be warned, not entirely sure about pre-installed keys on existing laptops/desktops however.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I just applied a 8.0 Key once I got into windows 8.1 by using the "change key" feature in the computer properties.

It accepted it and auto activated.

So it looks like you NEED to apply a 8.1 key to the intial installation/setup... but once in windows just fire in your official key and viola

oh and as a fun fact, 8.1 fresh install up to date installs in at around 8.21GB total

3. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

And you are surprised?

The era of service packs are over. We now have to pay for major updates.

4. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

More trips to the integrated store. - Mission accomplished.