Watercooling - worth it?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Takaharu, Jun 6, 2011.

1. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I was thinking of this: Omni A.L.C.

Doesn't seem that they have a 570 version yet, but there is a 590 version in the works: CoolIT Announces OMNI N590 for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 GPUs | techPowerUp

Given that you run your CPU at stock, I'd agree that water-cooling the CPU as well doesn't seem worth it. Where would you put the radiator in that case, out of interest?

Just to be clear, though, what's the problem that we're trying to fix here - it isn't room temperature, so is it noise or sound card temperatures, or both, or neither?

Judas - what you describe is probably because the reference design exhausts air out of the back, whereas the "improved" coolers dump it in the case - which, given a better heat-sink and fan, can still be an improvement if you have the case airflow and space between cards to deal with it, but otherwise isn't.\

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Interesting. I may ponder that.
    I wouldn't; I'd get a HAF X. 360 rad on the top for the GPUS, CPU blowing out of the rear of the case.
    It was room temp and internal temps but I've decided to go with just internal temps. A quiet PC is always nice, however.[/QUOTE]

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I bet your internal temps aren't actually that high - just the cards and the space between them are, because the driver lets them get hot to keep them quiet. If you moved the sound card to the bottom slot, then you'd even have room for triple slot air coolers - I'd highly recommend the Geilid I'm running now. Keeps my 175W 9800 beneath 60 degrees in Furmark and 50 degrees in games in a cheapo case on minimum fan speed (totally silent). I'm guessing that with your higher end case and slightly more power hungry cards you'd get similar results, and for less than the price of a 590 upgrade let alone a full WC setup + a new case (Can I haz old one if you do? :drool:).

4. Takaharu

Interesting thought, Blib, but the soundcard is using the bottom slot. Don't forget the optical drives I mentioned earlier.

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I've never used a system in which the optical drives never get hot. Seems to me that that's just the way it is. Doesn't appear to damage them or the disks. Even my PS2 ejects DVDs that are barely cool enough to touch.

So you currently have an empty space between the two cards? It's very surprising if your soundcard is overheating if so - are you sure that all of your case fans are running and the right way round (I know it sounds silly, but I've accidentally had 3 intakes and no exhausts before)? Are you sure that it's overheating as opposed to malfunctioning for other reasons?

6. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Oh, that's definately doable. In fact, if I get a 2nd 6850, I will probably do just that since I still have my Exos. I see no reason to spend the extra money for a CPU WB when I am already using the Corsair H60 for the CPU.

I really like the Koolance Exos because it's a self contained external unit, and can still be used even if you change cases. I'm on the 3rd different case since I started using the Exos.

You could get by with the Exos v2. That's the one I have:
    http://www.koolance.com/water-cooling/product_info.php?product_id=805

7. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Oh, and another thought: Are you spare expansion slots covered, perforated or blocked off?

And OldB: two 6950s at 1650*1050 - overkill much? :p

8. Takaharu

I'll check the fans tonight to make 100% sure that they are in fact spinning. I'm confident they are but it couldn't hurt to check. I can confirm, however, that the unused bays have grills.
    The disc drives get red hot during film playback and heavy gaming only. Also, the soundcard only glitches when I've been gaming for over an hour.

OldB - It looks good but a tad expensive. I've got a pricing for almost as much as one of those systems on their own. That includes the two GPU coolers. I think I'll give it a miss.

9. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

watercooling... its good stuff... but do not expect the room temps to lower...

a good external rad will pull practically all the heat from the system and dissipate it outside the tower.

my watercooling setup is currently being completely overhauled... i spent about $200 so far in add-ons to my liquid loop, basically to make it more efficient and more convenient.

the loop itself should be done by this saturday when my koolance elbows and passthrough fittings arrive.

if you do buy a liquid setup, if you care about aesthetics... do NOT buy swiftech radiators... theyre cheap and perform well.... but they have the crappiest paint-job ive ever seen, it will peel eventually if you are the kind of guy that likes going over parts with a dust rag.

if you want to buy a rad, try koolance or black ice... those seem to have better paint jobs and perform better as well! just a bit more expensive...

10. Takaharu

I've been recommended a G-Changer 360 Ver. 1.2. How does that fare? There are two Koolance 360 (20-FPI copper and 30-FPI copper) that are cheaper.

11. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Could you take a picture / do you have a picture of the inside of your case? I'm struggling to imagine how it could be that effected by heat from the GPUs in the setup that you describe.

12. Takaharu

[​IMG]
    I checked the soundcard - it's pretty warm in the middle (just about where the 2nd GPU is) and the GPUs are registering at 55°C and 45°C. With the side panel off it's the coolest my components have been in a while; the GPUs alone are a whopping 5-10°C lower than usual. The CPU's still 40°C though...
    All of the fans are spinning nicely. I even cleaned the air filters for good measure.

I stuck the side panel back on, waited around 15mins and both of the GPUs gained 5°C (and rising, slowly). A few YouTube videos spurred that on a bit (if nothing else, they passed the time).

Oh, in case you wondered, the stickers are stuck on the side because they both "melted" off of the back of the card. It'd make a warranty claim interesting...

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

You need a side fan..... refer to my original posts. I have the same issue with my Antec case. (system in my specs.)

14. Takaharu

You mean cut a hole in the window? Getting it done professionally I might as well buy a new case. Besides which, I have no idea where I could get it done.

If you know a cost & place, by all means, I'll consider it. I'm not sure of the clearance though - the CPU HSF is quite close to the window.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  15. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Have you got the fans on high or low?

16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I was speaking figuratively or "in theory" when you see that kind of temp change by removing the side, then this is the problem, especially with dual GPU systems. Air gets stagnent between the cards and builds up.... creating more heat.... etc. etc.

I haven't done the Antec (yet) because the sides are thick, like 3 layers or something but there's plenty of room. Generally I do this kind of stuff myself even with "physical limitations" (my hands don't work like they used to)

If there's no room and or you don't do your own case mods..... well, water cooling or a different case design would be something to look into.

Before you go there, are there any "optional" fan locations that aren't in use yet? and are the fans running at speed? Could you add a fan in the unused drivebays? (if you have them) I did that just this morning to cool down my RAM a little..... It's been record heat here this last week or more. :rolleyes:

I'm lucky to have more than one system and when it's this hot I just don't game or use that system much (I have no AC) I have several systems in the studio that don't run as hot (lesser spec systems) so I just keep busy with them.

17. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

I's not about overkill...it's all about e-peen enhancement :D:D:D:D

Seriously, if/when I get a 2nd 6950, I won't be gaming at 1680x1050.

18. Takaharu

My centre fan (underneath the graphics cards) is running at about 1000 RPM. The two either side are running at about 850 RPM.
    I'm all for the idea of a side fan for the case but my concern is whether it would have enough effect on the cooling of the soundcard. I don't know whether 10°C would keep the soundcard sufficiently cool. I emphasise "don't know" - it could be just the ticket.

I'm also now convinced that the HAF X is not the way to go for me. It stands 600mm tall and I have 630mm between my floor and my desk. Expelling heat from the top of the case may be an issue...

19. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

How about trying an 80mm fan mounted inside the case (with masking tape or something for now) next to the soundcard to see if that helps? If it does, you could just try a spot-cool or something.

20. Takaharu

As much as I like the idea, I'd imagine any fan that I have available is too thick to fit in there. I'm not adverse to trying these ideas, however, so I'll let you know how I get on with it this evening.