We are giving away over £5000 worth of hardware and goodies...

Discussion in 'Competitions Discussion' started by Stuart_Davidson, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paddygman

paddygman New Member

Ditto for the email here also. MionixLabs (media@mionix.net) were the source. Dont ever remember signing up for anything to be honest.
    Shout if you want it forwarded on. It hit my mailbox - 24 December 2014 07:28:51 if thats any help.

update....
    Just followed the unsubscribe also, the URL address is
    http://mionix.us2.list-manage1.com/unsubscribe/post
    the Page header/title is
    Hardware Heaven Christmas Comp
    but it isnt located from what I can see on your site. I havent read through the page code so dont know what the source is to be fair.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  2. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Thanks, will be looking into this (although that will be slow with other people being on holiday etc)

3. Xploited Titan

Xploited Titan Driverheaven's evil

For those wondering what you get when hitting the unsubscribe button on their mailing list:
    [​IMG]
    Their mailing list talks about some of their products, their kickstarter campaign, and when unsubscribing, this is the screen you get.
    (They spammed my other mailbox, so unsubscribed there too, but this time, with a screenshot.)

4. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

this is weird, because I did the same competition; I have yet to receive one of these mails...

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I didn't enter the competition and got two emails from them today...

6. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

I have also got a couple of emails from mionix over this last week. Don't recall entering this comp. but I did unsubscribe on each email.

7. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

How can they unsub someone from the HH competition? Of course, I can somehow understand that they'd like to have a say on who wins the prices they've donated but that's it, and I seriously doubt you guys from HH would give them that kind of access. Sounds a bit like bad marketing to me and I don't like it. I don't like mailing lists in general and I try to avoid them best I can. That doesn't mean I'm not interested in different types of products but I want to chose myself when I look them up.

I did enter the comp and I don't recall getting that message when I unsubbed from their mailing list but I didn't really look either. If this is how it's gonna get in the future, and I thought the need to "like" on FB was bad enough and this is even worse, I just won't enter any new competitions. I really don't want spam in my mailbox just to "maybe" win a price now and then.

8. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Guys, let's not over-react over this. If the few emails are a problem, you can unsubscribe from them after the competition is over.

IvanV likes this.
  9. Stuart_Davidson

Hey all, the only thing which looks to have happened here is that Mionix have been quick to email anyone who entered the competition and accepted the option for marketing on the submit screen. The unsubscribe option people are talking about is for Mionix marketing list ONLY. Not the comp.

Now, because of the holidays I haven't got full info on this and there is of course a chance that the wrong list of entrants was passed over etc... but that is unlikely. And I will update in here when i have all the answers.

That said, this is only an email and clicking unsubscribe will work. They are using Mailchimp for their emails and when you select Unsubscribe the Mailchimp software automatically removes you from their list. No if's, no but's, no human saying "no, keep them on". So the solution is to unsub and then carry on with life :)

10. Tyrsonswood

Is it possible they got hold of all email addresses of all of HH's members? Because I got this same email and didn't enter the comp. Not that it's a big deal to me I just deleted it. I just find it odd that out of the blue I got this when everybody else did.

I don't "unsubscribe" from such things, I just delete and if they get bothersome label them as spam.

11. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Im not really complaining about the emails.. It's just when you get more than enough emails daily including a good number of scam attempts sent to the email address I use for general stuff..

I might of subscribed or entered this comp. I just cant not recall doing so.

12. Stuart_Davidson

Not unless there was a fairly hefty mistake. (The Xmas competition was run on a database completely separate to our normal comp one, or the members list as far as I am aware).

Can you guys PM me a note of the email address you received the email on?

13. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Have not been here a lot over Xmas but want to add that I had one of these about a week ago it was sent to my normal email address , I also entered the competition ... I did not unsubscribe as I thought it was a one off spam mail, I have not had another since (hopefully it was not a mail telling me I won something :) )

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  14. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

If the comp is delt with by HH only I don't understand how they could have gotten my address in the first place. Their mails started after I entered the competition so there has to be a connection. I might have visited their site while I was researching to answer the original questions but I'm pretty sure I never entered anything anywhere except the competition pages. I don't know if this is what you're asking for Stuart, in that case I used the email addy I have in my profile/settings but I can PM you with it as well.

15. Neshi

I'd really want to know what I did different from you lot, as I said; I haven't received these emails...

16. johblack

johblack New Member

i didn't receive anything too.
    anyway when'll we have the result? :)

17. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Just a thought: it might be worth mentioning that I entered the "original" 42 question contest , and not the revised "smaller" one. I don't know how things were handled, but could something have gotten messed up in the process of switching from one form of the contest to another?

Anyone else getting the emails do the original 42 question version?

18. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I did the original 42 question contest and also received two emails from Mionix. They've since been removed from my mailbox so I don't have any proof or further information, but I can rule out that thought, Tipstaff.

19. Neshi

no emails, and I did the original 42 questions as well.

20. Tyrsonswood

And I didn't enter and got them as well... Almost rules out the competition being the sole cause.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.