Weird colors

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I had a couple of windows open (perhaps 6) and I noticed everything changing colors, in a way. Like, darker and more saturated. Or something. As soon as I moved the mouse and clicked it went away. It happened a couple of times and so the next time I was ready to take a screenshot. I did and the image captured looked normal.
    Such a weird thing.

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

Maybe it's your monitor?

3. Trusteft

Yes. Or hopefully the latest nvidia drivers I installed last night.

Calliers likes this.
  4. Calliers

Could be that, I noticed the color palette on my monitor changed after I also installed the latest drivers last night. Although in my case things looked better, the blacks are deeper, and the colors more vibrant.

For me it's an upgrade. I did look at some threads on the Nvidia site and people have noted color changes with changes in drivers before, sometimes for the worse, sometimes from the better. The main reason I installed these drivers though is because there was a security PSA that said the older drivers had an exploit so I thought I'd upgrade my drivers even though my current ones were good. Also it helps that they're optimized for Forza Horizon 5 which I'll be playing soon.

Trusteft likes this.
  5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Nvidia's more recent drivers now are enforcing full colour rather than limited colour that was always default.

Apparently nvidia decided to grow a brain in this regard.

The other things is they've apparently been playing with digital vibrancy a bit to try and get their colour/gamma output to better match up with AMD's and intel's output which nvidia has notoriously always been poor at.

Calliers likes this.
  6. Calliers

I can't really say that Nvidia is a bad company, I had reservations about switching back to them after a long history using nothing but AMD/Radeon cards. And I am very happy with my RTX 2080 I have to say.

7. Trusteft

This continues from time to time.
    Mostly when I have a certain picture viewer and Chrome open at the same time. BUT, not only then.
    Interestingly enough, if there is a video playing on Chrome, the video is not affected. The windows, the taskbar, yes.
    I don't know what is going on, but I want to say it's a software issue, perhaps with the latest drivers.
    THOUGH, I did also install for a few hours QuickTime and the problem appeared after that too.
    Also some codecs....I was sloppy. I am never this sloppy.

8. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo DREDD do You require backup .... NO

What the fuck is this ....2005?

Trusteft likes this.
  9. Trusteft

Also installed FFDSHOW.
    ok I used system restore, I was lucky it did automatically a restore point.
    Now I am having other issues.
    I will see, thankfully I have some experience with Windows breaking apart since...ever.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  10. Calliers

You also installed Winamp. And WinZip, oh yeah you also installed eJay.

GigaWatt, Trusteft and Mr Cairo like this.
  11. Trusteft

I already had winamp. I don't use winzip. I do have a few "eJay" releases, but I haven't installed one for years.

12. Trusteft

The system restore luckily seems to have fixed at least the issue of weird colors.
    Since it was from before installing ffdshow, apple quicktime and the latest nvidia drivers, I don't know for certain which was responsible for the issue. Or perhaps a combination was.
    Regardless.
    First of all, I am not going to reinstall either quicktime or ffdshow.
    Second, I am going to skip the current nvidia drivers.
    Third, I am going to create a restore point before I install the whatever next nvidia drivers are.
    Thank you all for reading this thread.

IvanV and Mr Cairo like this.
  13. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

This is the section Judas is referring to inside the Nvidia Control Panel:
    upload_2021-11-7_13-45-31.png

This is for Dynamic Color range. Mine is currently set to default, or "Limited", which is 16-235 colors. This is because my main monitor is my LED TV. If you are using a monitor most people will find this now set to "Full" or 0-255 colors. Setting it to this oversaturates the color on my TV. You can easily change it yourself though.

Edit: It should be noted that the "Output Color Format" plays a part here. Set to RGB you have the options to change from Limited or Full color palette. Set to YCbCr222, you only have "Limited" as an option.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    Trusteft likes this.
  14. Trusteft

I don't see his posts as I blocked him months ago.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I already use default, rgb and full. Now I have to admit I don't know if when I installed the latest drivers if for some weird reason the settings changed or not, but they are definitely my normal ones now that I restored Windows. I will have a look next time I installed the future drivers, just in case they change.
    Though I have to admit I don't believe that was the issue for one simple reason. The colors did not change and remained weird. The colors were all normal and then suddenly changed for few seconds or till I moved the mouse a lot or clicked, then they changed back to normal. Though if a video was playing, the video itself wouldn't change settings, only everything else.
    Since the system restore the problem has not reappeared so I am pretty sure it was a software glitch of some sort. Perhaps it wasn't even the drivers' fault. Perhaps for some reason quicktime and/or ffdshow conflicted and messed things.

Tipstaff likes this.
  15. GigaWatt

GigaWatt Now In Color :D

Why don't you just revert to the drivers you had installed before this started happening, see if the same thing happens with them.

16. Trusteft

As I said, the problem is no more since the system restore. :)