Weird noise from my laptop

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by JoeNukem61201, Mar 8, 2007.

1. JoeNukem61201

JoeNukem61201 Member

Hi-

I just got a new laptop from Hp, a dv6000, and when i started it up and right clicked the battery and made it go to performance mode, the laptop makes a weird buzzing noise. Not loud, but loud enough for the person using the laptop to hear. Its very annoying because as soon as i turn it to powersave mode it stops. The noise is constant when I dont have any apps loaded up. When I play games,movies, i dont hear the sound. I updated everything exept the driver for my nvidia 7400.

I cant seem to fiqure out the problem. It sounds like a interferance problem but Im not sure.Hell I dont want to send it back to HP because I just got it and ther tech support sucks....(I cant understand them >.< and I called them last night and they kept putting me on hold making me be on the phone for 2 hours.)

Does anyone have anyt solutions for me?

I already tried rebooting it and it didint work >.<I also use vista premium as well.

Also if anyone tells me to try and reboot the laptop I already tried and it failed.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  2. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Hmm seems like it could be a fan issue. Honestly man if it's new I would have get it checked out. Last thing you need is a fan to crap out.

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

It's either that, or the hard drive. My guess it's the hard drive. In Power Save mode the hard drive spins down to save power. In Performance Mode the drive is fed full power, and the platers rotate at normal speed.

4. JoeNukem61201

JoeNukem61201 Member

Do you think i should send it back?

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

If it's the fan, yes. You don't want the thing dying on you anytime soon. Hell, even
    if it's the hard drive I'd take it back (just that it'd annoy the hell out of me). The thing is that some drives are just naturally noisey. The problem is that if it is the hard drive then taking it back might be fruitless. You might find that it has the same issue since most laptops within the same series generally use the same parts. They don't change much batch to batch.

Honestly, if it's not going to inconvenience you (ie. you can do so easily), and you haven't invested a lot of time with the unit you have now (where you could easily backup what you have on it), then yes, I'd take it back. Just be aware that it may have the same "noisey" issue if the replacement uses the same series of hard drives.

6. JoeNukem61201

JoeNukem61201 Member

To tell you the truth I just called Hp yesterday and was on the phone for 4 hours. They tolda me to do a Diagnostic test to the hardriver in the Bios, but appernetly it wasent the hardrive. The only thing is I can think of is little static inerferance in the laptop itself.But meh...I set up an exchange for the same laptop, so I had to bite the dust and do it. I already spent 1300 for it, and I dont need it crapping out on me:(

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
    - Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T5600(1.83GHz/2MB L2Cache)
    - 15.4" WXGA Widescreen (1280x800)
    - 256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7400
    - HP Imprint Finish + Microphone
    - 2048MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    - FREE Upgrade from 60GB 5400RPM to 80GB 5400RPM!!
    - DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
    - 802.11b/g WLAN
    - No TV Tuner w/remote control
    - 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    - Microsoft(R) Works 8.0
    - System Recovery DVD w/Windows Vista Home Premium

By sending it back the guy upgraded my cd/dvd driver to a 8x something.......and I also saved 5 bucks, so yea I thinks its going well...

I'll tell you all when I get it back,. I prolly wont get it back to the end of march.

Dammit I just got the laptop on March 3 and my b-day is March 10th. Ugggggggggyhhhhhh,Why is it always me that gets defective items?

Last years B-day I get my apallo 6600GT and the thing was completly defective-) Btw there phone # they give you isent available when you call them @.@)

Christmas I got a Xbox360 and the stupid red light kept coming on everytime I boot it up.....code 668 or sumtin,(Black screen with multiple languages @.@)

Now this, Guess Im not a lucky guy after all,...........:tears:

7. Alyssa

Alyssa New Member

I feel for you. I got a laptop for graduation (it was a Compaq) it decided to crap out 18 days after I got it, and Office Depot wouldn't take it back because their policy states that returns can only be made within 14 days of purchase. So they told my dad to call Compaq/HP and he was on the phone forever. He probably called 5 times in 36 hours. They kept having him try and run a diagnostics test and it couldn't even get through it. It would just shut off. My dad demaned his money back and they agreed.

While shopping for the one I have now, we asked around. They told us the fan probably went bad or something. Mine was kinda loud too, but not really, it was kinda like what you described. Mine acted craizer when it was plugged into the wall (that's when it would shut down by itself).

Oh, and for you're other problems... I swear we must get our stuff from the same place because most of the stuff I get is defective too.

I hope you don't experience the same thing with the replacement.

8. GutterPunk

GutterPunk I = Greatest Dood

When you get it back, make sure its "NEW" and not refurbished. I have recieved numerous calls / complaints for our action editor in our publication to look into that crap. Mostly from HP and DELL people will buy new machines, they will come DOA and then they will recieve a refurbished one. So be careful!

9. remi

remi New Member

I have exactly the same problem. Bought a new dv6330ea. No noise for the first day, but now have a weird whining sound from what sounds like the harddrive. Really irritating noise. Can't hear it when performing intensive operations such as virus scans, running a game.

Did you get a replacement? Same problem?

10. JoeNukem61201

JoeNukem61201 Member

Update-

When I got the replacement laptop it was bran new. Still makes the noise but other people have the same problem with HP laptops. Apparently the laptop makes the small whiney noises because of the pwersupply giving off to much energy. I found a program to dissable the noise at- http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml

If you download the RMCLOCK it will dissable the sound. So it isent the Hardriver after all.....weird.....,