Weird results

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Trusteft, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I will skip to the problem, trust me I have to do the copy procedure this way.

I am copying files from my Vista 64 system to the external USB 3.0 drive of my shuttle mini pc (XP32), with my adata 32gb usb3.0 stick. None of the PCs have usb 3.0 connections, only 2.0

I copy few folders to the stick from my main (Vista) system and then copy them directly through the shuttle to the external drive (it's a Toshiba drive).

For some reason some folders (the same folders) and only them, appeared to not have the same exact size on disk on the external drive from my Vista system.
    BUT, only them. So, from say 150 folders so far, only the same 20 appear to have this discrepancy.
    Trying different things I checked the size of the folders on my USB stick and there appears to be the problem. The "change" happens there. But why?
    First of all the stick is ntfs formated. Second, why these 20 folders and not the all the others? There is nothing I can think of which makes them special.

Perhaps I need more sleep but this doesn't make any sense to me. Oh, the size on the stick is a tiny bit larger than on the Vista system. The problem is since these 20 so "enlarged" folders retained their increased size on the external hdd, I can't be 100% for all the rest of the 100s of folders I have to copy, to have been copied correctly or not.

I hope I make sense.

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'd whip out Total Commander and start comparing. Maybe some thumbnails are created?!

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I'm thinking along the same line and I've had this happen previously simply copying directly from one hard drive to another. It usually ends up being some hidden/protected files or some kind of cache files that cause the discrepancy. I'd make sure to show all files and folders in both instances....or is this three?

4. Trusteft

I used TC. Files appear to be identical and folder size identical. Yet Windows say otherwise.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

The only thing I can think of is that the flash drive was formatted with misaligned sectors/clusters, but this should be negated once the files are copied onto another drive with aligned sectors (if a ssd) or if it's a standard hardrive.

I know with a flash drive formatted with misalignments, file sizes change and are usually a smidge bit larger because of 2 nand flash cells are written/read instead of just the one for the same data due to essentially overlap.... this also explains why several people with both SSDs and USB Flash drives experience extremely poor performance both for writing and reading when using the full usb 3.0 compliant speeds. (Example being able to sustain 35MB/s using usb 2.0, but when usb 3.0 port is used with a usb3.0 flash drive, breaking above 45MB/s read/writes become rare IF even that...)

6. Trusteft

Wouldn't that affect ALL folders? It only affects one folder and its 20 or so subfolders.
    It's hilarious, never encountered such a problem before.

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

It should.. but sometimes I've seen weird things on flash drives.

8. Dyre Straits

I think Judas hit the nail on the head. If, for example, a Flash Drive is formatted for 32-bit and at different cluster sizes, it definitely can affect the outcome after the files are transferred to a 64-bit system with a different cluster size format.

9. Trusteft

yes, but for all the files, not just certain folders, right?

10. Dyre Straits

It just might be due to just how that particular folder and the sub-folders were originally saved. Yes, a very odd situation that may never be explained.

11. Trusteft

I am having this again. This time copying files from a hdd within a docking station to an external hdd.
    It's so weird. Mind you, this is with a new computer, although the hdd of the files copied from are the same as back then.

Oh well, at least after I copy the files I am going to get rid of these hdds for good.