Western greed and cheapness at the peak?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by GOG, Dec 31, 2004.

1. GOG

GOG Please answer the voices in my head

I saw this list over at BBC's website, it shows how much money each country is willing to aid to rebuild the affected countries after this horrible disaster in South East Asia.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4136153.stm

World Bank $250m
    UK $96m
    EU $44m
    US: $35m (The total cost of the war in Iraq is around 4000 times this and counting...)
    Canada: $33m
    Japan: $30m
    Australia: $27m
    France: $20.4m
    Denmark: $15.6m
    Saudi Arabia: $10m

Earlier today my own gvernment announced that Sweden is sending 500m SEK in aid as a first step. This equals $74m in US currency. We only have 9m inhabitants for Christ's sake, if we can give this amount of money, there should be lot more to get in that list.

Just for the sake of it, I divided the figures with the population of each country ($/inhabitant), this is what I came up with:

Sweden $8.22
    Denmark $2.99
    UK $1.63
    Australia $1.45
    Canada $1.08
    Saudi Arabia $0.47
    France $0.34
    Japan $0.24
    USA $0.13

I know that you can't tell your respective governments what to give or not (well you can, but not in time). What we CAN do is to skip that burger or those beers ONE week and aid the money instead. And when we're at it, there are other countries needing aid too.

Just because our politicians are cheap doesn't mean we have to be.

2. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

I think you answered your own statement.

US: $35m (The total cost of the war in Iraq is around 4000 times this and counting...)

3. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

Ummmm How odd, I dont see China or North Korea on that list.

4. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

china, by default, would have some phenominally small per capita donation, simply because of having, like, 1/8th of the world's populace...lol

5. Warpy

Warpy Well-Known Member

Ummmm.... perhaps they can flog one of their nuclear reactors to their buddies in the East?

6. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Yes you right about the populace and forgot something

corprate and personal donations millions are funneling in thew 10's if not hundreds of millions in donations to organizations like the red cross :p .
    So thier giveing aid all right... the people them selfs....

How many others contries sent and a AIR craft carrier and is moveing troops there to assist in recovery and rebuilding operations. Flying air craft dropping supplies etc out of other countries etc...that costs money too :rolleyes:

Iraq is a while nother story :x and actully and offtopic debate all to it self

BTW: the 35 million more then the US had to pledge you guys over there have alot of nerve eh? Since when do we have to help! No were is it writen we have to donate even $1 to aid others but we do. Heck we appear to do more then any other country in terms of assistance / aid yet that isn't enough :rolleyes:

7. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

And now for the REST of the story...

President Bush made it VERY clear that the 35 Mil was just a start and that more would be given as necessary. Why didn't you add that to your initial post? Because it didn't fit your agenda?

And there is also a LOT of private aid coming from the US also as in this from the Fox news web site:

The final tally was yet to be known, but it's clear the Red Cross and other aid groups were experiencing perhaps the largest surge in donations since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks or the string of hurricanes that hit Florida and the Caribbean this summer.

"The volume (of donations) that they're seeing in the last few days is several times what they saw during the hurricanes, which was several times what they see on a normal day," said Charlie Cumbaa, a vice president at Blackbaud Inc., which makes software used by the Red Cross and many other aid agencies to process donations.

Among the biggest corporate givers are Pfizer Inc., which is donating $10 million in cash and $25 million worth of drugs to relief agencies; The Coca-Cola Co., which is donating $10 million; Exxon Mobil Corp., which is giving $5 million; and Citigroup Inc., which is contributing $3 million. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has pledged $3 million.

Pharmaceutical and health-care products companies were among the biggest givers.

Johnson & Johnson and Abbott Laboratories Inc. are each donating $2 million and sending drugs and other health-care supplies to the region. Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. is donating $1 million in cash and $4 million in antibiotics and antifungal drugs. Merck & Co., Roche Group and GlaxoSmithKline PLC were also planning to donate supplies and/or cash.

Nike Inc., American Express Co., General Electric Co. and First Data Corp. are each giving $1 million.

For some corporations with operations in the countries struggling with the disaster, their far-flung enterprises are serving as quick supply routes for aid.

Drug makers with offices or plants in the region sent employees out with antibiotics, nutritional supplements, infant formula, baby food and other supplies. Employees of companies like Coca-Cola, PepsiCo Inc. and Marriott International Inc. hotels in the region are delivering bottled water, food and other supplies.

"They're sending whatever they can, as fast as they can," said Elaine Palmer, spokeswoman for PepsiCo, which rushed out Aquafina bottled water from one of its Indian bottlers and plans to contribute a minimum of $1 million to the relief effort.

Fresh drinking water is one of the items most needed. Many sources of fresh water, like wells, have been contaminated by seawater, debris and sewage.

In Thailand, Starbucks coffee shops are donating all of Wednesday's profits to the relief effort. The company also made an initial contribution of $100,000 and will donate $2 for every pound of certain coffees sold in January in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia and Germany.

Many companies are offering to match employee donations to aid groups and are making it easier for customers to donate.

First Data's Western Union is offering free money transfers from U.S. and Canadian donors to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.

Amazon.com had collected about 87,000 donations totaling more than $5.4 million for the American Red Cross as of Thursday afternoon.

Wal-Mart Inc. is setting up collection containers at all of its stores, in addition to a $2 million donation from its foundation.

Google Inc. has put a link on its home page to relief groups, and America Online is encouraging members to donate to Network for Good, an online charity the Internet-service provider founded along with Cisco Systems Inc. and Yahoo! Inc.

AOL members donated more than $1 million in less than 48 hours, according to spokesman Nicholas Graham.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes sir, we are a stingy bunch.

8. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

These are all valid comments; those numbers only account for cash donated by the government, not the nation's overall donations including private individuals, and not food or medicine or other non-cash aid provided by the American government. Of course, the claim that the US government itself is being stingy can probably be made... but don't paint the whole nation with the same brush.

9. OldBuzzard

And, as for the World Bank...The US supplies 'roughly' 16.39% of IT'S money, so add another 40 mil or so to our total...dang, we just get stingier, and stingier.

I think it fair to tell you the the US, in FY 2004 provided roughly 40% of ALL disaster aid for foreign countries, and if we follow the same pattern, you will see that in the end, that this 35 mill will be a drop in the bucket compared to the final total that we will contribute to this disaster.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  10. TJ-

TJ- New Member

blah blah blah......................................

11. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Dude the US doesn't give that much mister OLD buzzard. The goverment officially has given 35m. Point. When more money goes, then it'll be in the OFFICIAL statistics. Whatever your saying might be right but till it gets accounted for, it ain't right!

12. Razgriz

Razgriz Intelligence?

when was the last time you heard sweden getting into a war....

Ever think that maybe swedens government has less debt, and less expenditures. Like military, social security, stuff like that?

13. OldBuzzard

sandok, heres a link for you. It's for 2003.

battleaxe, YOU may want to take a look at the sections on AFRICA, which you seen to think the the US cares nothing about

http://www.usaid.gov/our_work/humanitarian_assistance/disaster_assistance/publications/annual_reports/pdf/AR2003.pdf

Just because I'm OLD doesn't mean I'm senile. Age does have it's advantages. One of which, is that my experience at doing research, allows me to easily find FACTS that show how silly , and wrong your immature little rant was.

Just remember, Youth & skill are no match for Old Age and experience. :D

14. lenchmob

lenchmob New Member

Your information is flawed and inaccurate. Pfizer Corp alone (US corporation by the way) is donating $35 million to start and other companies are following suit. This is just a tip of the iceberg when it comes to donations from the private sector in the US alone. US naval ships are already in the area providng relief. A great many citizens are donating to the relief effort. A US battle cruiser and destroyer are moored off of the Thai coastline providing help. Twelve US C-130's with relief supplies have already completed their sorties and are repeating the process. A naval aircraft carrier group (quite an assortment of ships) is moving towards the affected area to provide relief. Relief to these nations is coming from all avenues of society and government.

People should get their facts straight before assuming the worst.

15. The_Neon_Cowboy

By what you've posted Rougly 72 million...
    72 million corp+ 35 million gov = 108 million
    that will probubly grow both the goverment and corpate donations

But thats not even begins count the the smaller donations by companies and private donations to charties like the red cross those don't make "the news".
    the private and corpate donations togreather thus far could easily top 200-300 million and probubly a heck of alot more then that before things are over and done...

that doesnt even begain to take about the costs incurrend by the our millitary assistance and rebuilding. Volenteers etc..... to....

many many times what little sweeden or anyone else gave ....:D
    also they don't have a massive nationl debt like we have either...
    more people also means more goverment expense etc....

16. GOG

I would never dream of calling the American people cheap, because I know the majority of you are not. Actually, this was not a thread of America bashing, there are other rich countries in that list.

However, I can't help that the american government is so cheap that they think 13 cents from each citizen is enough here.

17. GOG

It would be strange otherwise though we are only 1/24 of your population.

18. violat3

violat3 New Member

USA has upped its aid to $350 mill :)

the UK goverment have so far offered $96 mill plus so far the UK citizens have raised a further $60 mill and that figure is rising almost $2mill a hour , cash is a camodity we take for granted , we can all do our bit to help thoose affected

19. The_Neon_Cowboy

so thats currently $350 mil goverment, 76 million big corp
    thats 350+76= 426 million so far.....

little corp and private citizen donations unkown ... but massive!

So we've given at lest 2x the larest doner :D

20. GOG

You can't count like this. Sure, the sum of money is the biggest, but you also have one of the biggest populations on earth. Divided Per Capita, I don't think you make Top-5.