What anime and tv shows are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

What anime are you watching? Need some new anime to watch, currently just watching Naruto Shippuden since Sword Art Online and Hunter x Hunter ended. So any good ones you got to suggest? Also what tv shows are you watching? I'm currently watching Marvel's Agents of Shield, The Flash and CSI: Cyber.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Supernatural and game of thrones.

Far as anime goes:

Log Horizon (Sword Art Online with a twist, though i believe log horizon predates SAO, and it has interesting outcome that i haven't finsihed yet)
    Attack on Titan (which isn't as big a deal as it's made, so don't get all worked up and overhype it, imo sword art online was vastly superior, specially when dealing with progression)
    Kotoura-san (concept is interesting.... even if it's just another typical anime AKA school based one)
    Eureka Seven (IMO total garbage.... how the fuck did this get 2 seasons?)
    Kill la Kill (Yet another interesting concept, typical anime set within a school system)
    Blue Exorcist (again interesting concept, school environment)
    Fate/Zero (It's a slow start, but this is one anime that actually doesn't reside in a school environment and really doesn't hold back much on the gore either)
    Psycho-Pass (Another sluggish start perhaps, but another that doesn't get stuck in the school luckily, this one also doesn't really hold back on the crazy gore, it also present an interesting prospect to consider)
    Freezing (Another school system implementation, HOWEVER it's more of a combat school system, and very interesting concept) This appears to be related to Freezing Vibration obviously.... might be wise to watch freezing first but i don't know yet.
    The Irregular at Magic High School (Another school environment, however the concept is rather quite good, and it's build up over time paints a pretty interesting picture)
    Devil Part Timer! (again school, however again, rather abnormal situation even for an anime i think)
    Knights of Sidonia (This one had a bit of a tough start, most shows start a bit rough and slow understandably, however the build up is great and a second seasons is coming which should prove to be very interesting, netflix exclusive i think though)
    My Bride is a Mermaid (This is the overly sexualized version of total garbage, much like eureka seven's terrible implementation, even it's main plot starter is clearly obvious of how absurd stupid it plays out.... i don't know i just generally can't stand the toddler mindset that all the characters have, when the adults are worse, more illogical and absurd than the "children" of the show)
    Inuyasha..... enough said, regardless of how many in the anime community consider this to be a crap show, provided you can skip the excessively long intro and recap, the show progresses quicker than most would realize which makes it interesting even if there are some dull episodes, which ever show has.

Almost if not all of the animes, specially the ones that take place with teens in school, all of them constantly, and annoyingly tend to habitually play on the whole sexual tension and absurd and easily preventable sexual "awkward" situations. Though i find Kotoura-san does it with reason and properly rather than absurdly, some cases can be overlooked, but most however had no reason to be implemented.

A single anime that goes way the fuck over the top in this manner that is like an intended parody of how insanely absurd these events are, would be Heaven's Lost Property. This show even in it's description gives you a clear idea of what's happening and will be happening. But the underlying plot that doesn't unfold at all quickly (in fact it barely get rolling and only leaves you with some questions) is interesting.

There are likely plenty of others i haven't thought of just recently that i've seen

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    Calliers likes this.
  3. Calliers

Never knew you were that into anime Judas, thanks for the suggestions, will definitely check some of them out. :)

4. Judas

I am into a bit of everything.....

5. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Heaven's Lost Property was very entertaining. There were a couple of points where the characters had the "we are well and truly buggered", which is always good for keeping you on the edge of the seat.

Currently I'm watching Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka, which is a comedy based abroad in an old fashioned town that has several caf├ęs. The main characters are employees of a coffee shop. I'm also eagerly awaiting the next instalment of the Evangelion films.

I've recently finished watching Guurren Lagaan, which was thoroughly entertaining and Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3, which is a series based on a group of girls playing airsoft.
    Before that I watched Stein's Gate, which is an exceptionally interesting time travel concept mixed in with a splash of comedy. Truly one of the best time travelling concepts in my opinion.
    That was preceded by Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, which is an action comedy about a guy looking to find his loved one. The main protagonist is completely wacky (sometimes just strolling around naked, completely inexplicably) but overall very entertaining.
    Also, if you haven't watched it already, go watch Madoka. That series is to magical girl animes as Evangelion is to giant mecha animes. Freaky as you can get but damn good watching.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    Calliers likes this.
  6. Calliers

I've started watching Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, looks good, very interesting. Looks like a very good anime, think I'll stick with it till the end. Although I have yet to find an anime that I didn't finish, except for Beelzubub, started it but it just didn't take after the first few episodes.

7. Judas

Stiens Gate is based entirely around an actual event that took place in 2000/2001.... it's entire plot/existance hinges on it.

John titor of which cannot be dismissed or proven either way. Even major physists that understand the complexity of time travel or time alterations have for quite some time now considering it being laid out like they explain it the anime.

8. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Knights of Sidonia

9. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Nothing but whenever I feel like watching some I watch
    Robotech, Area 88 (which I can't seem to locate right now), Thundersub (also known as Blue Noah, but that too I can't find right now)
    etc

10. clubrope

clubrope Well-Known Member

DragonBall Z! I am a fan of Goku. So, what are the new animes now? Don't have much time to watch anymore.

11. Judas

Out of all the hyped up "anime" shows people bring up, dragonball has been about the most underwhelming if not irritating of them all.

The general storyline and development is flawed, the pacing of the show is outright horrible, in fact it's frequently used as the prime example of terrible in that case and it the butt end of tons of jokes about anime as a point of reference. For as big of a deal that it's frequently made out to be, and trust me i sat through hours and hours of it before simply getting irritated with the show more than any point in time that something actually starts to happen. Personally clearly the writers/animators were basically underpaid or rather shitty considering they really did much of nothing. I could endlessly dissect the show to the point of just having a few minimal core positive attributes that really, when weighed adequately in an overall scheme of things, is entirely insignificant to the rest of the crap that was put around it to bulk it up.

Sure it's an old show..... but I don't see that as a genuine excuse for it's failures. It's not like the show was exclusively children only, considering the countless adult references and in fact direct examples or situations that were clearly adult only.

I've been chewing through an entire anime (depending on length) at least once a week sometimes 2... in fact i just finished 3 complete unrelated series just this week. I'm actually down to basically a handful left on netflix alone, while a fair chunk of them continue to download via "other sources". I give a great many of them a good chance, and i'll admit when it's not necessarily the shows fault and simply my own preferences to which i have no feeling/need to watch any more of any single series, but there are plenty that i do have an overarching interest in the storyline they have provided and it's many potential unlimited outcomes, however if there are more cons in it's delivery through fallacies in it's production and animation and voice acting even..... it becomes very hard to watch to the point of being nearly painful to continue, and i must say.. there are a WHOLE lot of them, to which somehow they've ended up with multiple seasons somehow, while those with a solid base and great concept and development/production barely seemed to have finished a single season prior to getting shut down/canceled sadly.

This week i started and finished K, Lagrange: The flower of Rin-ne, and Gargantia, all of which i would say posed some very interesting ideas and outcomes.... I'd give them a positive rating... not amazing though.

12. clubrope

Fairytail and Sword Art Online

13. Calliers

Just watched the pilot of Mr. Robot and man is it a great show! Here's the trailer for anyone interested in watching it.

14. mos2k

mos2k HH's Hermit

yeah I just watched it too.. Looks like a good watch, waiting for the next episode.

Calliers likes this.
  15. Calliers

Have any of you seen the pilot of Supergirl? Some awesome stuff right there.

16. clubrope

Right now, I am watching a replay of Boy Meets World.

17. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

You and I strongly disagree as to what is awesome stuff.

18. Calliers

Here is the action comedy movie Kung Fury which was crowd funded and hence is now available on YouTube. It is pretty good, give it a watch. :)

19. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I backed Kung Fury; it looked great from the offset and the actual film was... different. Entertaining, nevertheless.

As an update, I have finished watching Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka (great series by the way if you like to slow down sometimes and enjoy a light comedy) and I'm currently in the process of watching Kill La Kill. I also just watched Trigun: Badlands Rumble, which was definitely on-par with the series, in my opinion.
    The next on the list, I believe, will be No Game No Life.
    At some point I need to finish watching Humanity Has Declined (I don't know why I stopped as I did enjoy it but I feel like I need to start over with that series) and see if I can bring myself to finish watching Appleseed XIII (yeah... not as good as its predecessors).

Also in the queue of series that I own: The Slayers (that'll be ongoing for a while), Nakaimo, Chaos Head, continuing Dragonball Z (re-watching after all these years on BR), Bleach (ongoing), Little Busters and Code Geass.
    I also want to find Sword Art Online 2 so I can watch the dang thing! First series was thoroughly entertaining (I've watched through to the conclusion of the elf game, now want to watch the gun one).

Calliers likes this.
  20. Calliers

Will definitely have to check out Trigun: Badlands Rumble. And how in the HELL have you lived without watching Code Geass? Sword Art Online 2 is too sweet, the gun play is awesome.