What are my options?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by drwho, Aug 26, 2015.

1. drwho

drwho Active Member

OK, I upgraded my computer OS from Win 8.1 to 10 about a week ago. The only thing that was a problem was a little popup screen that was telling me to reinstall ImgBurn because the UDsomething driver was not installed correctly. So this morning before work I uninstalled the old program from win 10. Installed a newer version (2.5.8.0). I scanned it first before I opened it. Avast told me that there were no threats found. After that I opened up my Firefox browser and within a minute or two I had all kinds of adware popping up on my browser and have been unable to get rid of it. It has also infected the Windows Explorer (browser) also. I assume that the adware or malware came from the Imgburn utility, as everything was fine last night when I shut down for the night.

When I get home tonight after work I plan to do a complete scan of my computer to see if my antivirus can find anything. If that fails, do I need to a clean install of Win 10? How would I go about that, since I don't have a installation disk for Win 10? What other options are open to me? Thanks for your help in advance. :)

2. drwho

drwho Active Member

I've decided to go ahead and do a clean install of win 10 on my computer. Thanks for your consideration. :D

3. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

I picked up a adware install from a program only a day after installing w10. All the add/spyware utilitys failed to remove it.

There were a restore point made, so that were the only option that worked for me.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

it's incredible how much faith so many people put into not only just one AV/malware scanner.. or a small selection (malwarebytes and hijack this)..... only to further support a software product that clearly has another agenda in the works (Utorrent for example has turned into a malware magnet with alterior motives, the clincher being that it actually would run a low priority bit-coin mining while running resulting in a specific person/group getting the benefits and you experiencing a minor bump in cpu load that most would have not noticed, for me 5-12% extra cpu load isn't noticable until you look, others with single or dual core cpus however figured something was up).

I have sent Totalvirus which uses a slew of scanners... 50+ usually.... all up to date, a known malware/virus and it passed with flying colors. This is how much people trust in this. And being in the IT field... it's abundantly clear how entirely futile and what an incredible waste of time/effort it is to invest and trust in this as well.

5. drwho

drwho Active Member

Well, I'm back up and running. Now I have just Win 10, not the upgrade from 8.1.

To be truthful, I felt bloody foolish getting something like adware on my computer, my avast av was no help at all. Should I be thinking about switching avs or stay with what I have? :rolleyes:

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Like i just said.. it wouldn't have likely mattered..... relying on an AV/AM product to do the job is fruitless. Changing it to something else likely wouldn't have change the outcome at all anyways, that i can pretty much guarantee considering what i've seen.

7. drwho

drwho Active Member

Understood........:)