What are you reading now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

This is what I'm currently reading, having finished The Wheel of Time series, just wondering how many of us here are avid readers? If you have read The Wheel of Time series and enjoyed that, check out The Lightbringer series of which The Black Prism is the first book in the series, half way through and this book is riveting I have to say. :)

I've already bought the second book in this series and it is just waiting for me to turn mine eyes to it.

Edit: btw the Kindle Paperwhite is currently $30 off for Father's Day, so feel free to pick one up for yourself or someone else!

Also, when do you typically read? I tend to like reading later in the day, but mostly at night before I go to bed I'll do a little reading, every other night. I don't like to blast through my books, but instead savor the beauty of the writing, and consume the literature nice and slow.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  2. Calliers

Bump.

I'm very surprised to find out that no one else here reads...lol.

Reading is fun, and hey, I'd forgive even those that do audio books (I prefer to actually read the text, I would read actual books, but with a kindle you can easily take your books places with you - just pop it in your pocket, and it carries thousands of books).

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I used to read a lot but over the last few years have fallen into the habit of watching videos on Youtube last thing at night - that or listening to podcasts or debates/interviews. Haven't bought an actual book in a long time. Last thing I read was Tombland by C. J. Sansom which was a digital download that I read on my phone.

I have read all the Shardlake books by Sansom. I've always been interested in dramas set in the middle ages in film and literature. I liked The Name of the Rose movie with Sean Connery. I was also a big fan of the Cadfael series. Shardlake is a Searjant (basically a lawyer / investigator) living in Tudor era London.

Calliers likes this.
  4. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

I read loads generally Horror or Fantasy, currently have the newest Skullduggery Plesant and rereading Terry Pratchett from teh start (currently on ERIC)

Few weeks ago read a Batman Novel reread the Death of Superman and Scarlet traces (follow up to War of the Worlds) also reread Long Way round and Long way down in anticipation of the new series

If ou like the Wheel of Time I woud suggest the belgariad series little fantasy lot LOTR

Dont read anywhere as much as I used to but still have books on the go all the time

Calliers likes this.
  5. Calliers

Hello fellow reader!

There had to be at least one!

The LOTR books I found kinda stale but will check that out, I am gonna stick to The Lightbringer series for a while here, till the end then I shall return here to probe you on what next to read.

@Jac You gotta get back into it my dude, you've been caught slackin'.

6. Mr Cairo

Also should say I only read books no kindle or app but proper paper, My upcoming list has Ready Player One (never read it) and a run through of all my Judge Dredd paperbacks after that I will see what comes

Calliers likes this.
  7. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Umberto Eco - The Island of the Day Before

I'm only starting. I loved his Name of the Rose, Baudolino and The Prague Cemetary. Foucault's Pendulum, on the other hand, I couldn't bring myself to finish, on two attempts.

Calliers likes this.
  8. Calliers

Do you guys think I should sticky this thread or nah?

9. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I say pin it! :)

Calliers likes this.
  10. Calliers

Done!

11. Carb0n

Carb0n New Member

im reading this thread

purplerain0330 likes this.
  12. Calliers

Hardy har har.

Welcome to the forums.

13. Calliers

Who were your favourite authors as a child growing up?

My two were Roald Dahl and R.L. Stine whom some of you might remember wrote the Goosebumps series.

Carolyn Keene would take my number 3 spot for her work on the Nancy Drew novels which I was hooked to. And yes, I didn't read the Hardy Boys books like other guys my age at the time, many guys made fun of me for this and said I was gai lol.

Trusteft likes this.
  14. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I've mainly been reading manga for the past few years. I recently finished Seven Deadly Sins and I'm up to date with Battle Angel Alita Mars Chronicles. Currently I'm reading a series of Sonic, alongside the first volume of Ghost in the Shell before continuing with Rave Master.

Favourite author from a young age and still to this day is Roald Dahl.

Calliers likes this.
  15. Calliers

Out of all of Roald Dahl's books Matilda was my number one. I loved the eloquence with which the book was written. And I could relate. I also loved the movie. It was a wonderful piece of literature.

Runner up would be James and the Giant Peach. Now that was a roller coaster ride and a half. So was the movie.

Takaharu likes this.
  16. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I don't think any one book specifically stood out for me as they were all so different yet had that charm to them (though less so in The Great Glass Elevator). I don't count Boy or Going Solo in that list as they are exceptions in my mind but, looking back, it's really impressive that he aimed autobiographies at a young audience.

Calliers likes this.
  17. Mr Cairo

School it was all Enid Blyton, Rhold Dahl etc I liked them but they didn't really peak my curiosity

However I was still a voracious reader as a child and quite religious so my first book of choice was probably the Bible, read that cover to cover a couple of times in my life ... Anyway I used my local library a lot, I think it was about 10 years old when I discovered the Dr Who target books (novelizations of the Tv show) there were about a hundred of them so they were my first big read , that put me onto HG Wells, Harry Harrison, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Richard Laymon, James Herbert, Simon Clark, Shaun Huston, Nicholas Fisk basically any sci fi or horror was a must read

Also at 10 I started reading 2000AD (Brit sci fi mag) this was my first "big" comic after things like the Beano and Dandy, Scream and commando the stories were dark the characters were huge as a 10 year old it opened up a universe for me (42 years on I still read it and still LOVE Dredd)

about 18 I read my first Terry Prachett and that set me off on Tolkien and The David Eddings Belgariad series (basically the LOTR) but my love for Prachett out shone them all the man was a genius

Later in my 20's I found Dave Stone and the blackthorn Judge Dredd novels and have read them many many times (and the lesser books by other authors)

So probably Stephen King in his golden period (Carrie through to Dark Half), Terry Prachett (anything and everything) and Harry Harrison (mainly the Stainless Steel Rat stuff) were my big childhood books

Calliers likes this.
  18. Calliers

Can I just say that I love the Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt novels, when it comes to action books, these are second to none for me.

And I usually read fantasy so for me to deviate and read action, it has to be good.

Edit: What guys was the most boring book you have ever read? :D

For me it has to be Mercedes Ice by Philip Ridley, that book was -TERRIBLE-. And the funny thing is it had one of the most interesting of covers, that was the main draw for me when I borrowed it from the school library at the time lol.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  19. Mr Cairo

TBH i really dont know if a book does not catch me in the first 50 pages or so I tend to give up on it, Worst I have read to the end is probably some of Stephen Kings newer books ... Regulators and Rose Madder spring to mind (this was about the point I stopped reading SK)

Calliers likes this.
  20. purplerain0330

purplerain0330 New Member

Neapolitan Novels series by Elena Ferrante. Currently reading the fourth book. I first watched the TV series, My Brilliant Friend, by HBO, which is adapted from the novels. Then I decided to read it. Really well written and I strongly recommend it. The novels tell the lives of two girls in Naples, from childhood to adulthood and old age . They try to create lives for themselves amidst the violence and stultifying culture of their poor little neighborhood.

Calliers likes this.