What can i do?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Shwompy, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Shwompy

Shwompy New Member

I got a brand new computer for Christmas, and i bought the game half life 2 and a Tv card. I intalled the tv card has some problems, but finally got it fixed. Then i installed half-life thinking it was going to be great, after fixing some problems with that i finally got to play. Maybe my graphics card is bad, because the damn game skips like no other. I mean this is brand new 3 days old, and its top of the line HP. Here are my Specs.

530 Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz
    512MB Pc3200 DDR Sdram
    200GB HardDrive
    Dvd+rw/CD-RW Duble Layer
    Cd-Rom Drive
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator With 128Mb shared video Memory
    800MGz Front Bus

Can any1 tell me what the next thing i should do to this computer, Its pretty nice now, but i cant play the game, im not sure why..

Thanks

P.s IF you didint know yet i am a noob at this.

2. drakesteakn

drakesteakn boo!!!!

i dont think the graphics card is bad. just has slow performance.

3. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

Make that very slow performance. The shared memory is going to have a big hit on performance because it is borrowed from the system memory. That will knock you down to 384MB of RAM.

The best solution is to see if you have a spare PCI-express slot (I'm asuming this pc has PCI-express) and then go buy a new graphics card.

Problem with the HP machines is that they often take away the ability to upgrade certain components.

4. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

because the system is running DDR400, i think it might have an AGP slot instead of a PCI-E. I could be wrong of course. But yea, that integrated graphics w/128Mb of shared video is what is killing your performance for HL2.

5. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

congrats on the new system.

BUT this system is very far from top of the line.you will need a soundcard and a good gpu to play any of the new games out there right now.you should also get rid of any hp related software that is installed and shut down some unneeded services and optimize xp for best performance and play with the swapfile.make sure when you get sound and gpu that you diasable the onboard stuff in the bios.goodluck and mery christmas

ps: it wouldnt hurt to throw another 512mb of ram in there also

6. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

yeah definately ditch the HP related software if you can. HP is no good when it comes to software.

as far as the hardware, its the intel graphics thats really killing you. they have the poorest performance when it comes to graphics. You'd almost be better off with an S3 or something.

anyway get yourself a 9800PRO or something and most of your problems will disapear.

7. MiDKnYtE

MiDKnYtE Caffeine Machine

give us the exact model number. the 915 chipsets still run DDR, so there's a good probability that it has PCIe. I would look into getting a 6600GT for that system. if you want to spend more $$, then a X800XT or X850XT.

8. ReV smokey255

ReV smokey255 John Kerry of video cards

umm what i would do umm get a 9800 pro or a 6800GT and get another 512 stick of ram. then you will have you own little gaming rig

9. MiDKnYtE

I'm fairly certain that his system has PCIe. in that case, there is no 9800. You could try to find a 6600GT or 6800GT in PCIe. what's the $$ budget?

10. Shwompy

Shwompy New Member

Thanks for all the posts and stuff. Umm The model Number is Hp Pavilion a730N If you guys would, im still kind of a noob, so tell me what kind of hp software i should get rid off. I have alot of it gone already just not that much. I thought i would need a new graphics card, because i have never heard of Intel Graphics, so... My buget is anywhere from 500-1000 at this time.

11. Shwompy

Shwompy New Member

Also can you explain PcIe and the other slot.. I dont understand that..

12. MiDKnYtE

13. Shwompy

Shwompy New Member

So is it possible for a newb to install a new card, or is it hard..

14. CDsDontBurn

well, for those of us who know what we're doing, it's rather simple, couple of screws, slide in, cover back up, and you're done. But if you're not willing to take a chance and mess anything up, i'd say take it into a computer shop or somebody you know that knows what to do and have it done.

15. Shwompy

Shwompy New Member

Alright, Yea i installed my tv card my self and some other shit, so i will look into it. You guys were right about the hp software, there is a ton of it and it all sucks.

16. Shwompy

Shwompy New Member

ATI’s RADEON® X700 What about that card, its a better proce range if i wana get some ram too...

The x800 has really good reviews on it too....

17. MiDKnYtE

for the price, the 6600GT is a better card than the x700

18. CDsDontBurn

well, earlier you said you can spend upto $1,000. Get the x800xt, and a stick of ram. You should come out to around $650 ish. As for all that hp software, get yourself a real copy of winXP and reformat your hdd. Then you'll have a clean system w/o all that HP bull sh*t.

19. MiDKnYtE

before you blow the drive, make sure you have the hp recovery cds. there is a recovery partition on the hdd. if you wipe the drive, you will wipe out your recovery software too.

20. Geminiwave

Geminiwave I Have lovely Breasts

Hey actually HP is the same as compaq and when my bro got his compaq, he got a CD with JUST windows XP on it, and then a recovery CD with the rest of the shit on it. See if thats the case for you, because if it is, then I would suggest not going out and buying a new copy(since you have a perfectly fine one right there)