What can i do?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Shwompy, Dec 27, 2004.

1. MiDKnYtE

MiDKnYtE Caffeine Machine

first of all, where are you? USA, Canada, other?

I haven't seen any 256mb 6600GTs. I think that would drive the cost up too much for them to compete in the $200 range. if you want 256mb, then look for a 6800:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1

the cheapest one at newegg is an MSI $335

2. MiDKnYtE

3. Shwompy

Shwompy New Member

Yea i live in Chicago

4. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

yea man, check out newegg then. Great prices for an online store. if you don't wanna do some online shopping, then check out your local computer retailer.

5. Shwompy

Shwompy New Member

6. Shwompy

Shwompy New Member

7. CDsDontBurn

i'd say that they're both decent mid range graphics cards. They'll perform about as well as a 9600pro/xt i would say. The x700 would be a little better because of the higher clock speeds on the ram.

8. Shwompy

Shwompy New Member

Alright, time to save some money, i will be back to this site forsure, thanks for all the great help, and opinions

9. MiDKnYtE

the 6600GT will beat a X700Pro. The X600 is even slower.

10. Iridium

Iridium New Member

Awww come on, get the 6600 GT....you know you wanna....

11. CDsDontBurn

i'm not too familiar w/the x700 cards, but do they make a 256bit version of it?

12. Iridium

Iridium New Member

I had a 9700 pro for quite some time, and even as good of a card as it was, and with all the fancy new Catalyst/Omega drivers being released, it had become very dated. At the moment, for the price, there is no better performing GFX card than the 6600GT, as far as I know. I am not the most informed poster on these boards, nor do I claim to be. But facts are facts. Now if you want to wait awhile and save a little more money up for your purchase, the x800's will/are lowering in price. But I still don't think that they will be able to touch the performance per dollar of the 6600GT. Right now here is the price for a PCI-E 6600gt. Don't let biased opinions make decisions for you (not saying they are being posted here so no flammage for that please) but do a couple google searches for the x700 and the 6600 gt and see what you find out for yourself. I know I did, and I think I made the correct choice. Besides, it will be awhile before we finnaly see the advantages in the PCI-E tech here in the home computing front.

13. Iridium

Iridium New Member

Here is a link to a thread on this website that leads to a link explaining what is going on with the production of various models of GFX cards and their expected release prices. According to this source what could have been the 6600GT's direct competitor as far as price vs. performance in the very near future would have been the X700XT which as far as I can tell has been cancelled, which is sad for ATI and for us :tears: . But it does seem that they will be lowering prices on the X800 so really just try and make an informed decision, exactly like you are coming here to ask, kudos to you! Any more questions keep 'em coming.

14. MiDKnYtE

x700s are getting phased out, so i would avoid them entirely.

The next-gen x800s and x850s are due to arrive soon, but ATI has made promises before. Bang for the buck goes to the 6600GT right now, especially if you OC it. nvidia's 6x00 cards have been pretty good overclockers. I already posted a link with a direct comparison between the two cards and the 6600GT came out the better card. Do what you want to do. I'm done campaigning.

15. Shwompy

Shwompy New Member

Yea, im going to some google searches, thats why i came here is too get opinions. I do like the x700 but my friend has 1 and its not that great. I have never seen the 6600gt in action. Well anyway anything is better then what i have now, i will have to make a educated decision on what to do....

Thanks

16. Shwompy

Shwompy New Member

Something i dont get is what is Oc mean, i know it means Overclocking but what does that mean, and what does it do?

17. MiDKnYtE

18. Iridium

Iridium New Member

My 6600gt runs stock at 500mhz core processor speed and 1000mhz effective ram speed. I used a program embeded in the Nvidia drivers called Coolbits 2.0 and allowed it to determine my optimum overclocked frequencies. Now the card is running at 586mhz core speed and 1170mhz effective memory speed. Not a bad OC for stock cooling.