What CPU Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by JavaFox, Jun 8, 2003.

?

What CPU Do You Use?

1. AMD

150 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. Intel

79 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. Transmeta

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. VIA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Driver 7

Driver 7 Discombobulated NVidiot

AMD

Athlon 2800 Barton

2. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

Thunderbird processors had problems with heat... newer Bartons and T-breds don't have such problems.

3. One of the Twelve

One of the Twelve New Member

Skipped here from page 1, after voting, I've seen so many disputes between the two major CPU solutions.

I've got here in my MAIN "rig" Intel Pentium IV 2.20AGHz. I really like this CPU, I've got some AMD's as well but those computers are not my "MAIN".

4. Blazer

Blazer Tweeker

I am a Built by Intel man as well. I have never bought an AMD CPU, but my brother has one in his system, and he has nothing but praise for it, Mind you, he is also a Nvidiot, :rolleyes:

CPU: P4 3.0@3.2
    Memory: 2x512 Corsair xms 3500
    Graphics: ATI Radeon 9700
    MB ASUS: P4C800 Deluxe
    Hard drive: #1 Maxtor 40 GB
    Hard drive: #2 IBM 80 GB
    CDRom: Pioneer DVD
    CDRW: LG 24x10x40
    Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2

3Dmark 2001se 16962
    3Dmark 03 5313
    PCmark 2002 7737

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Except for my very first PC, I've built all my own since 1992. All of them have been Intel-based.

My brother-in-law went with AMD until about a year ago. He was having several issues and decided to chuck the AMD and went with P-4.

I'm not saying I'll 'never' build an AMD system, but polls like this are appreciated very much and taken into consideration when facing a decision.

Thanks!

6. peterosesbookie

peterosesbookie New Member

Here are my views on the processors

As for Transmeta I have no idea what it is.

AMD

If you a want Great CPU of choice, this is it. I have used intels before but with no luck have hated every single machine. On internet explorer, I would have to wait after every single letter I typed in explorer bar to come up on the screen in about 3 seconds or I would type along and would boug down. With AMD, I have never seen this unless I am really using the cpu's (Burning a disk, Divxing a movie with vidomi, Ripping a full disk in MP3, and surfing the internet at the same time, Ripping a 9.4GB dvd movie). This was the only instance that this occured. I really love AMD, but the systems are loud with cooling devices and some times lose a processor every once in awhile, but it is cheeper to replace AMD than it is Intel. AMD's will also heat the room up that it is in.

Intel

Intel has a great product but they are just not up to par with Dual boards. I have only seen one Dual Xeon with AGP from Tyan(which will soon die with PCI Express). Intel are great with the SSE2 instruction set over the current Barton cores in that respect. Which means faster ripping of MP3s and other multimedia. The problem with Dual Intel in the past that I have seen is that a divx movie will jump frames and on a single machine this does not happen with intel. Videocard manufactures optimise their drivers for Intel (I think maybe it may be Nvidia - Intel, AMD - ATi; I don't know for sure). Intel's prices are very expensive but the product that you get it what it is with the naming scheme.

Via

This will be the the best buy if the computer was going to be in a baby's room - Quiet! Via has made a kickass product that will never as of yet to have a heatsink and fan, just a heatsink. Via will be the best bet if you are in a hot climate and want to keep the house as heat free as ya can. The only problem with via there processors have come along way from when they started. I think the fastest processor out is a 1.xxx ghz somewhere I read. Their system is based on the standard from intel the socket 370 which basically a double pumped Intel 370 on a .09 micron process which with each die shrink less heat is produced. These are used generally less to no noice, less electricity, and price also.

The choice of the four is AMD for me

Last edited: Jun 8, 2003
  7. serAph

serAph I want a 6800 ultra, PLEASE !

all AMD for me - Im not rich, and I've yet to see a SINGLE problem with anyones system that was because of an AMD processor..

(in the pre-athlon days, I was an Intel fan - but ever since my first Athlon700, I was sold)

8. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Quality???

Well how about what we've been hearing in the news for the past month?

1. Intel's latest chipset

2. Xeon Problems

3. Centrino Snags

What sort of issue's have we've been hearing about AMD? More and more manufactures planning on using the Opertons, and oh and the 3200 doesn't OC as well as we would like it. Yup, horrible quality indeed. Hell, wasn't there a story about Dell (Intel's Bitch) thinking about using Operton's in their servers?

9. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

AMD

Can't beat this bang for the buck... You can go from a 900mhz duron all the way up to an Athlon 3000 all in the same motherboard... Now how many times did Intel change their mobos. It's just bang for the buck for me. The prices of Intel compared to AMD just don't seem worth it. Now, granted the Intels when Vmodded can overclock like mad. But so can a 1700B or a 2100B.

10. scobywhru

scobywhru DriverHeaven Senile Member

My favorite CPU, least trouble good OC, was my P3 1.13ghz .13nm OC as an extra 200mhz out of the box on stock cooling without any heat problems. I actually wish I kept it some times, never had any problem OCing it, just need better RAM to get some more speed out of it, but I've gone with AMD ever since, just hated the motherboard roullette you play with Intel, weather or not a board will work with a CPU and having to swap out Motherboards to get a faster CPu when my friends with AMDs just put in a new CPU

11. driverdriver

driverdriver New Member

I have a AMD 2000+ @ 1.9 GHZ.
    Runs great with my ECS K7S5A i play lots of games .....
    Also love my ATI 8500le @ 128mgs

12. DriveEuro

DriveEuro New Member

This thread makes me think of the AMD vs Intel thread that JavaFox and reno had going like almost 1 year ago.... Damn, I thought that thing would never die.

13. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Poor Via and Transmeta have no votes!

I found a PC with a via processor last week...i got the guy sorted and am building him an AMD machine this week...parts already dispatched. :)

Stu

14. tazdevl

tazdevl New Member

Was AMD, now going Intel. 2.4C is a great price ($180) and with the OCs folks are getting (~3.2GHZ), definitely a good thing. I also have to say that Hyperthreading is a great feature. I don't think the current crop of AMD CPUs is on par with Intel's current offerings. In addition, assuming rumors hold true, Prescott will be out in a few more months and Intel is keeping the initial versions socket 478. Looks like a stable upgrade path for the near term.

nForce is a interesting possibilty, but I'd rather go with a Canterwood based board.

15. inteks

inteks New Member

if you oc an intel and if it run it run and run and run :D

if you oc an amd it could run but after 15 minutes it hang's :(
    or after 30 miututes or after 60 min.

i have never such problems with intel ! :p

it's so much less stress to find the right setting with intel :)

cya
    tom

16. craig588

craig588 Banned

My main computer and 4th fastest computer are both amd, but the rest (2-3,5-7) are all intel.

17. satech2001

satech2001 New Member

Well iwas also hooked on intel....once.

But whenever i wanted to upgrade and had to upgrade my mobo too it costed way too much.

Untill one day i met a great guy in this board named....WyreTheWolf....(my Hero)

And he talked me into trying out AMD.

So here i am today and 3 AMD chips later with a 2100+ that cost me a measly 80 bucks and running without sweating @ 2200 mhz (thats 2700+ btw).

What can i say...AMD + nForce2= WOOHOO!!!

18. D.D.

D.D. New Member

I'm using a 1.8A at 2.55

19. satech2001

satech2001 New Member

Not much of a statement there pal

You can OC a intel and it wont hang??...yeah right

And a AMD OCed hangs??

Really and how many chips have you actually OCed ??

And If you have OCed any...how much???

" Less stress finding the right setting with intel" ....Im just curious but which one of the 10 (that mater) are you talking about????

Most OCers dont actually OC the chip and run it full throtle...its a game to see how high etc, etc.
    Most of us OC to our systems limit and then tune it down a notch for everyday use.

Ever hear about those P4s hitting the 4 gig mark??
    Why dont you ask one of those guys how many minutes it ran before crashing or if it could actually complete most benchmarks.

Oh and not to forget the CASH $$$$$ needed to cool those suckers (Prometeia,dry ice etc.)

Next time please justify your negative comments with some facts cause you just saw how NO COMPANY IS PERFECT !!!!!!

Man im sorry to say this but its obvious that you dont know what your talking about...:hmm:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2003
  20. Retupmoc

Retupmoc New Member

Geeeez dude... don't be so harsh on him. Let him look bad and think what he wants to think.

What your saying goes for everybody. Both AMD and Intel get hot once you turn the voltage up and Vapochill, Prometeia, LN2, etc... are needed. It's all about personal preference.

I like both Intel and AMD. There are certain things I like about each. For one...I hate how Intel changes their chipsets and boards like every month...that kinda stuff. but you do get what you pay for.

I really feel bad for AMD b/c here lately they can't seem to make money and get things right up front. While Intel just comes out with chipsets and CPUs to replace the older stuff left and right. But at the same time I like Intel b/c they are like Nvidia. They are the leading companies in their markets. They have more money than the competitor and are just bigger companies. So OEM builders suchs as Dell, HP, etc...will go with the more trusted, "larger", companies...or something like that.

Money is everything...

I have my P4 2.6C (800FSB / HT) w/ an Asus P4C800 Deluxe on its way. It should be here on Wednesday...
    The O/C on it should be awesome