What CPU Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by JavaFox, Jun 8, 2003.

?

What CPU Do You Use?

1. AMD

150 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. Intel

79 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. Transmeta

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. VIA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf Wolfish Bastard

Re: WyreTheWolf

Competition with Nvidia's dual channel nForce2 for AMD forced Intel to produce a dual channel chipset of their own, Granite bay. Granite bay was released for the holiday rush as an interim solution while waiting for Canterwood. Granite bay has a flawed AGP implementation, but no recall was offered. If you want Dual Channel with AGP 8x, you buy an Nforce2 or wait until Canterwood.

Dual Channel DDR has only recently become available for Intel products... as they were under contract to produce RAMBUS boards.... (do you remember the huge stink over RDRAM?)

Huge potetial, too bad about the Latency........ DDRII will probably be an excellent match for Intel processors.

2. mike2h

mike2h New Member

bwx232

did you not read my my post. get a grip. my very first words were "a lot of things you say are very true" . and your statement " premature release of all the intel products" is ludicrous. first he did not say that & 2nd it just is not true. why don't you give me a list of the many, many recalls problems over the last few years. people like me? what the hell does that mean? i overlook amd? where did you pull that from? no wait do not tell me because it might smell. i made some generalised observations that overall, intels quality is better than amds. that DOES NOT mean that amd is 'bad' or not a good buy. in fact i stated that "amd is great bang for the buck". so get of your fanboy platform, read my post, & get your facts together. fyi, until the advent of the asus p4p 800 dx, i was leaning towards a nfoce2 solution for my next upgrade. i, unlike some people am not locked into any brand . i buy what is best for my needs & requirements based on research & what i can afford.

3. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

everyone chill

4. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Alright, I just don't think there is a difference in quality at all.

5. mike2h

mike2h New Member

WyreTheWolf

like i said intel had dual channel over 2 years ago. outside of the old bx chipset, the 850 is the longest running high performance chipset for p4. the whole rambus debate was ludicrous. 850 chipset boards have kicked the crap out of anything else based on the p4 except for the brand new 865/875. & can still break even with some of those. intel could have produced a dual channel ddr board anytime they wanted. there was no 'contract' with rambus preventing this. intel screwed up trying to force it down the m.m's throats.
    granite bay was a sad joke.
    ddr2 is still an if.
    you can & have been able to buy 875 based boards for several weeks now. 865 for about the last week or so. so far 8x agp is a flop. that will probably change with ati & nvidia's next releases though.

6. mike2h

mike2h New Member

brrrr. i am chilled. :)

7. mike2h

mike2h New Member

BWX232

okay, we wil let all that go. i do not know if it makes a diiference & wether you got that from my post, but most of my problems with the amd platform is not so much the cpus as it is with the amount of not so good chipsets(imo). anywat like i said, do not know if it makes a difference, does not matter, just trying to make my position clear. still chillin' :)

8. Stafford

Stafford New Member

Ditto!

I liked the idea of the poll, for pure statistical interest.

Too bad these threads always ends up the same way. :sigh:

9. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

That's why I conducted it. I think the last time this poll was taken, it was something like 90% AMD, 10% Intel, so it's interesting to see how things have shifted a little. Then again, that previous post was never front page news, so that may be a factor. :)

Not scientific, but interesting nonetheless.

10. Kgentatszu]

Kgentatszu] New Member

Yup, I'm OUTTA here!!!!! "Arios Amigos~":lol::)

11. serAph

serAph I want a 6800 ultra, PLEASE !

i dont think itll change for a while - both companies make great products...

12. Electroe

Electroe DH wanderer

AMD!!

Both hands raised....
    I've been using it since its 486DX4-133. Why? Because it's cheaper than Intel has to offer. And comparing on a clock to clock basis, it's darn fast. So, as long as I have to support a family, I'd choose AMD.
    At last I don't have to have instant noodles 3 times a day.:D

13. serAph

my 2400 overclocked to beat a 3.06 P4 +HT in PCMark02 with only 33Mhz increase in FSB speed (dropped the multiplier from 15 to 13 too)

and yes, it costs a toooon less

14. HardwareHeaven

the scores in your pcmark2002 compare are 6750/5060 with no HD score.

neither of those scores (even the higher marked ones you typed out CPU:6677 MEM:6452 HD:~1300) would beat a 3 gig P4

15. serAph

oops - just a sec - need to update my siggy

and in a toms hardware review with a Barton 3200+ and a 533Mhz FSB 3.06P4, they scored ~6700 or so. I beat them by about 50 (negligable) points...

regardless, the emphasis is more on that Im even close to their speeds instead of me actually beating them...

oh, and I havent been able to run my HD tests since I installed the nVidia SW IDE driver. Not uncommon for my hardware. Its an ATA133 drive too...

~ Rory K

[:edit:]
    there its changed, and btw: your pcmark scores... wow...

here is an older bench where my HDD score is ~1250 - thats on my leadtek tho - my NF7-S (r2) has S-ATA so it should be slightly faster.
    [:/edit:]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2003
  16. HardwareHeaven

hardware/device manager/IDE ATA controllers.

rollback to the windows driver. Nvidia IDE driver sucks big time.

17. mike2h

mike2h New Member

zardon

got to love the intel app accel. hehe :evil: :lol:

18. serAph

Re: zardon

or better yet - gotta love not needing one :)

nForces are fast

19. HardwareHeaven

Re: zardon

I have to say, I think nvidia drivers this year have been appalling and not installing the Nforce IDE driver gives no loss in performance, in fact quite the opposite. Nvidia state that installing their IDE driver lowers CPU load when copying files etc. It makes no difference, except you get generally worse performance.

And they say ATI drivers suck? amuses me greatly now when I hear this.

and btw in reference to your "intel app accel", I think ill stick with AMD, im getting pretty decent scores (much better than my 2.4 gig P4 anyway ;)

20. serAph

Re: Re: zardon

yes - this year has been atrocious for nVidia drivers, but they've only released 2 detonators and 1 nforce UDP. so thats 1 out of 3 releases that have been bad, and honestly, the IDE drivers are freaking AMAZING for my system. The SAME hard drive on 2 diff. MoBo's (asus A7S333 and leadtek K7NCR18G-Pro) benched soooo much faster on the nForce, and then faster again when I went to another nForce board (NF7-S). I find that they arent the best because they dont act the same on everyone's computers, but then thats what makes ATi's drivers "bad" - that they typically do do the same bad stuff on everyone's PCs. I only know 3 people with 9700's and they all have major issues with desktop lines and freezing in graphical apps and such...

maybe things will be different with the r4xx since it wont be their first good gpu...

~ Rory K