What CPU to get in this crazy market

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by dawgXdenta, Jan 19, 2021.

?

What processor is worth the time and money

1. 3700X - 325$ -

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 5600X - 400$

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. 5800X - 575$

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

Hey guys as some of you may know. I had to return my Asrock X570 and ryzen 3800X cpu.
    Before the meltdown, performance was very good. I used it for Virtualization and some gaming too.
    The market right now is terrible with shortfalls in supply and price-hiking by scammers(skulpers).

What would you suggest I get.
    3700X at US$325 (8 cores)
    5600X at US$399 for 10% increased performance (6 cores)
    5800X for a whopping $575 for 16% increased performance. (8 cores)

I hope to keep this PC for at least 5 years. What would you guys suggest?

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I think that everyone looking for a CPU is having the same kind of dilemma, "Do I get a 3000 series Ryzen with more cores, or a 5000 series one with slightly fewer?!" I'm not sure I could make up my own mind either.

The 5800X makes sense if you're using the machine to earn money (it will pay for itself) or if money isn't tight - if you can afford it, might as well get the best one. However, I would probably consider it too expensive ATM (I don't need a desktop PC for work).

The other two, like I said, it's complicated. Most of the time, the newer Ryzen is faster around 20% in single core tasks and 10% slower in multicore ones, but there are other cases where the newer one really pulls away. Take look at this comparison if you haven't already: https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2665?vs=2676

Looking at that, for some heavily parallelized workload, I'd probably pick the older Ryzen as it's both cheaper and probably a bit faster, but for games and general usage, the 5600X might be a better choice. It's hard to predict the future, though. Maybe software will get even better at talking advantage of the newer architecture, maybe it won't.

I might lean towards the 5600X ever so slightly if it's within budget, though. It's never a lot slower and it's sometimes a lot faster and I don't think that it's likely that that will change for the worse in the future.

3. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

My philosophy has always been get the best you can afford. The only thing that would make the 5600X attractive is if you ONLY game, and that is a very thin argument.

QB

dawgXdenta likes this.
  4. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. It does look like the 3700X is the best value for money right now. The 5600X has a notable performance in gaming over the 3700X. I just can't justify the 5800 for 15% overall performance increase @ almost $200 more. I know the 3700X is on average 10% slower in gaming but it is also 10% faster at desktop applications with extra cores, when compared to the 5600X

Unfortunately I can't wait around because it is likely that price hikes caused by semiconductor shortages will drive prices even higher. So I guess the 3700X is best for my circumstances.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'd say get the 3700x.... utilize it for the time being.... then sell it off when 5000 series cpus normalize so you can pick them up for a reasonable price.

With the intel cpus launching soon, chances are that amd is likely to reduce prices somewhat IF intel isn't asking stupidly high prices for their counterparts.

6. center_table

center_table Active Member

Good choice. For my standpoint, this is also the best for me nowadays.

dawgXdenta likes this.