What Digital Camera Do You Use? [What do you like/not like most about it?]

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I've had just a few digital cameras since they first hit the market. I still have a working computer-controlled film camera that I really like, too. But, as just about everything has gone digital, I've gone for what I feel is the most adequate for my purposes at a cost I can afford.

With that in mind, my current "best" digital camera purchase so far is the Sony HX100V. I've been very pleased with the performance of this camera. It can even do Blu-Ray capable videos and 3D images, among many other nifty/cool stuff.

[​IMG]

It has a 32X Zoom lense...which is among the best in this class of camera.

So, what are you using these days?

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I use a Nikon D5100. When I looked into the different DSLRs avaialble I really liked the D7000 and the D5100 on on par with the picture quality. It boasted quite a few features that I liked (1080p video recording, for example), reviewed well and in general Nikon appeals to me over its competitors.
    I bought it originally at a very nice price, packaged with a 18-55mm and 55-300mm lens, the specs of which I can't recall off the top of my head. I later bought a 35mm lens, a remote and I recently got a mic for Christmas.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

my own cameras have consisted of a Motoral Cell/Mobile phone which took shitty grainy image which i've posted a few of here..

my 2nd one is now a Samsung Galaxy S3... and it does fantastic.

4. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

SonyEricsson C902 - a true classic of their C-series Cybershot phones.

What I like, slim, it's a slim as the most basic phone I had (the old Sagem my220x), but takes pretty usable 5MP shots, and the lens is protected by the slide when not in camera mode.
    Unlike many phones, it has a camera shutter button that has the half/full press feel for getting the focus lock.
    And compared to my old digital, I don't have to decide to take the camera, in a bag.

Dislike: Autofocus is not the fastest, doesn't have optical zoom, and the flash cannot be set to fill.

Dislikes as a phone: It's not Android, and the display is on the small side - but I've looked long and hard for something that will replace it, Android, camera as good (oh, and not cost an absolute bomb, Otherwise I'd jump to the Xperia S)

5. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Cannon EOS 450D with battery grip. ;)
    Standard kit 18-55mm lens and 70-300mm sigma

6. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

Nikon D7000 + 18-105 kit lens + Tamron 70-300 Di VC USD + AF Nikkor 50/1.8

What do I like about it? Image quality, AF speed, controls, 100% viewfinder, dual memory card slots, overall operation speed. On the other side the memory card slot cover opens too easily.

D7000 with the Tamron 70-300 aimed at a roe deer, shot with my SE Cedar :)
    [​IMG]

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I use my phone, Samsung Galaxy Y, which sucks ass.
    Avoid it all costs, both as a camera and as a phone.

8. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

If we're including the cellphone cameras, I have to admit that my Samsung Galaxy Epic's camera has to be among the better cameras on cellphones.

It has both a zoom option as well as video. The zoom, however, is not a true zoom. Essentially, all you do is spread the view on the screen to limit the amount of image you end up with...and at a reduced IQ.

Here's just an example of a recent sunset I took with my cellphone...

[​IMG]

9. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Canon PowerShot A590 IS.

[​IMG]

It's an old compact with full manual controls option, which comes in handy now and then. It focuses well, macro is good, colours are good, speed is decent...

Low light noise could be lower, flash and its controls could be better and the screen always shows images a little softer than they are and a little washed out which occasionally makes me re-take a shot of something which I really want to get right over and over, only to find that the first pic was actually the best once I transfer everything to the PC. :lol:

The video recording option is passable, it records sound well and the image is okay, but I think that most of the better modern mobile phones provide better IQ.

I'm planning a big trip in a couple of months and I expect it to take a lot of great pictures, or else I might retire it! ;)

10. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

I'm using a Fujifilm FinePix S2800 HD atm, it takes a bit of work to take a really good picture with it tbh, but once it all "clicks" it takes a real, real nice photograph :)
    this is one, taken in a dark corner of the room. my Pentax compact could never have taken this pic through the fish tank glass

clicky
    [​IMG]

keep meaning to save up for a DSLR, but iPads and things aways seem to get in the way..