What do you think?

Discussion in 'Smartphone & Tablets Discussion / Support' started by Trusteft, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I received a phone call from Sony about my malfunctioning Xperia XZ1.

If they repair nothing, the cost is 20 euros.
    Repair of the no charging issue (replacement of something) and replacement of battery, the cost is 50 euros.
    Repair of the no charging issue (replacement of something) and replacement of the screen which they tell me has a white spot, the cost is 170 euros.

I assume replacing the battery and doing the last one will be about 190 to 200 euros final cost. I didn't ask them.

The phone is obviously out of warranty, thus the cost for repairs.

I don't know. Not sure about what white spot (pixel?) they are talking about the screen as I haven't noticed anything. Unless of course it's something that appeared after it was handed over to them.

The top cost feels a bit too much for me .
    I can get the Motorola Moto G Pro (128GB) (Motorola Moto G Stylus in the USA) for 209 euros. New.
    Similarly specced phone.

I will call them back later, but I can't decide right now.

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

A lot depends on just how much you like your current phone.

Speaking only for myself: I like to have a warranty in effect. If you get the Xperia repaired, how much warranty will be on the repairs? AND, that warranty will be ONLY for what work they actually do...not the rest of the phone...if they place any warranty on it at all.

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  3. Trusteft

I like the phone, but I am not bound to sentimentality.
    If I accept all repairs they suggest, that is including the screen, thus almost 200 euros, then the phone is covered by extra warranty from them, three months for the phone.

4. Trusteft

I just called them, I am going with the repair of the charging thingy and replacement battery for 50 euros.

Calliers likes this.
  5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Yeah, that's a sensible call. White dot that you don't see shouldn't be a bother.

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  6. Trusteft

Well, funny story.
    The white dot I couldn't see, I couldn't see for a reason, it wasn't there when I last used the phone.
    Some time between me handling the phone to the courier to send it to them and it arriving at Sony's repair center, the white dot appeared and it is very very noticeable. Very bright, very annoying, though for some reason it only shows when there is non black items on screen. That kinda saves it a bit.
    Very annoying.
    I thought about perhaps they made a mistake and mixed my phone with another, but the IMEI is the same, so fat chance that was the case.

7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

One theory, take a look at THIS teardown video. Within the first minute they show you how they get into the unit: by ripping the screen off. It's quite possible that in removing the screen THEY damaged it, or in removing the cable connection (starting at 5:50 in the video) THEY damaged the display cable.

Trusteft likes this.
  8. Trusteft

I thought about something like this, but good luck proving who is responsible.