What is it with World Of Warcraft?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 23, 2008.

1. YAYitsAndrew

YAYitsAndrew Anti-Piracy Poster Boy

Just like any other successful virtual world, what makes people an addict is fame. The game mechanics has nothing to do with why people play the game so much. They play it because they're well known, well liked, and powerful; three things they probably don't have in real life.

In other words, playing WoW is escaping from the real world into another where everyone likes you, you have an easy time making friends, and girls will talk to you. If you think of all your friends addicted to the game, you will see how it is so hard for them to step away from this scene.

2. starboy

starboy New Member

luckily its not that bad in my country. I did try out the trial version for WOW. I have to say this is simply long game for a beginner, not because of the leveling. its about the place is simply too big going through it. I dont know what you guys (WOW players) think. I think it just insane and I spent a hour looking for ONE shop. I remember it was my first time playing and its terrible experience lost count how many hours I am actually staying in WOW and really couldn't stop playing until my trial finished.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  3. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

SFOSOK, it's great that you can see you would become addicted to an MMO and therefore choose not to play them, I think that's a healthy choice. But don't project that same lack of control onto the millions of people that do play them.

In the end, it's just a game, no different than any other regardless of genre. Should a few rare cases exist of people who are addicted to it, i wouldn't say thats indicative of the entire population. My observation is that the vast majority of people who play WoW, or any other video game for that matter, do it within a healthy context, but they're not the ones who make news. Nothing wrong with taking a bit of time to relax and unwind, and I would imagine there are some health benefits to doing so.

The same argument could be made for activities like watching television, social drinking, working out, playing sports, using internet social groups, and just about everything people do for themselves in their free time. Sure, we all know people who take things too far to the detriment of their health and personal relationships, but that doesn't make the activity inherently evil or destructive.

4. Zelig

Zelig Well-Known Member

Pretty much, the original development, and continuing development efforts are focused on maximizing the number of new sign-ups, and minimizing the number of people who quit. (For $100 million+ per month, it would be stupid to do anything else)

Part of this involves making the game take large amounts of time to play. If people are only spending small amounts of time for a service they're paying for, they're going to start feeling it's not worth the price.

Blizzard is quite interesting as a software engineering study, they have smaller development teams (relatively, compared to EA, Ubisoft, etc.), and long development schedules,
    Although they don't pioneer many new features in games, they perfect them for the masses.
    Also, because of Blizzard's hugely succesful games (last non-hit was Justice League Task Force in 1995), they're lots of developmental freedom by Vivendi. (Again, who's going to complain with the income WoW generates?)

5. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

You just said here what I meant to say.. but you did it a hell of a lot better then I did :)

6. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Hmm, still smells like denial.

;)

Go play some WoW, you'll be a lot happier.

7. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

I played it last year, its insanely addictive IF you let it take control of you. Like any RPG game, you get the feelings of "oh man, just 1 more lvl in 15 mins" or "omg, just 15 mins for this item!". 15 minutes turns into 4 hours. 4 hours turns into 24 hours. 24 hours turns into a week. Within this week, you meet people in parties and add them as friends possibly. Then they work with you to turn weeks into 1 month. 1 month turns into many months of grinding, questing to finally reach 70. 70 leads to raiding. Raiding leads to no life. The cycle then restarts because you want to start a new character. In addition, patches sometimes add as much content as a service pack does to an OS. It might make or break your gaming experience.

see the addictive properties? I'm a warcraft fan (like most gamers), and found the game very interesting. I was sick at home all year last year, it kept me busy but I never let it control my life in any aspect (my health did that instead ahha). I have a level 70 warrior on the Ravencrest realm. I'm too busy right now to play it, and rather be active. In addition, the game is VERY WELL MAINTAINED. Patches add so much content, lots of support like Game Masters all day. I found myself wanting to reach the end game bosses like Illidan, but I never can or will. Its very difficult, requires a disciplined team to do so. In addition, I don't have the god damn time or life to make myself disciplined to a game. I have girls to meet, drinks to drink, books to study, health to take care of, family members to take care of, money to make! But I know lots of couples that play together (completely normal, even families! its a very social game.

and hell, its the Warcrcaft Universe!

level 70 is really just a number once you reach it... its your equipment that makes the difference. the developers did lots of research into what they thought would be suitable for players based on time and effort. give someone level 500, then a lvl 500 boss would be easy. fights are more like 5 - 25 lvl 70 players vs 1 level 300 boss. they have to end the level system somewhere like most all rpgs, or else everyone would be juiced up like on steiroids. Its the equivalent of lvl 99 in final fantasy or diablo. But to get to the harder parts of the game, you have to be level 70 to use the equipment that would allow you to withstand the dungeons (aka instances), which takes lots of time to find, buy or craft.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  8. Neshi

Sounds like you just don't want to understand... :p

9. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

now your getting the idea

10. nuG

nuG is having a sexy party

From what I think, The game wouldn't be as profitable. As of right now, leveling is a fairly casual process. You can get to the cap of level 70 in a month if you really wanted to. There is no way the game could keep up the fairly easy pace. If they had an unlimited level cap, sooner or later it would turn into a complete grindfest. This concept is not casual friendly to say the least, and most people that only play an hour or two a day would eventually get frustrated and quit. Not only that, but developing the shear amount extra content for the levels would come at huge cost, and in the end, most likely the profit margins would be lower. It all comes down to the casual player, since this makes up a large portion of the player base. The game has become excedingly more casual friendly since when it was released, and they have demonstrated time and time again that the game being as accessible as possible is their main goal nowdays.

11. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

some good info in the thread.

Are any of you guys still playing it? if so, how long each week would you say you play it for ?

12. Neshi

Nope, for the moment I don't have a pc, so I can't play it. But if I think how much time I spend on the game, and the requirements for me to continue playing, (searching for a good guild, raiding end-game content) are too high to keep playing. Maybe when the lich king comes out I will look into it again, but at the moment I am done.
    Besides, there are alot of other good games around the corner, so I won't be bored :)

13. Vikingod

Nah, haven't for quite a while. I never did any serious raiding and the game doesn't fit into my schedule or sound like much fun anymore. I've been tempted to finish leveling my character to 70 and pick up the expansion, but I don't want to dedicate the time to it. I've got more important things to do.

Even the guys i know who were really hooked don't play the game anymore. It's great what happens once you get a girlfriend.

14. Neshi

It's great what happens if you set your priorities straight.. ah well, that's what happens if you get a girlfriend. But the bold part is exactly how I feel right now about this game..

15. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

i rejoined last night for $15 and i probably won't play. I just wanted to see construction

Calliers likes this.
  16. Ev!L-aLphA

Ev!L-aLphA | n f e c t e D

i played WoW for a looong time, i raided all the high end instances, had almost all epic gear and was ranked pretty high in the PVP area... i ended up quitting for a while before the expansion came out.. played the expansion a bit and quit about a month later...

than finally my friend begged me to join again and he gave me this month free ressurection, played the whole month and just got sick of it again..

havent played it in about 6 months now, i might plan on replaying it once again someday, but as of now i have no intensions to rejoin, other than catching up with friends and messing around with PVP.
    it just sucks a ton of time out of your hands and nowadaze i dont have that much time for major gaming, with work and college n stuff..

anyways

Calliers likes this.
  17. blown503

blown503 New Member

How does wow compare to Guild Wars? I know it is a free game to play once you purchase it. I have always wondered what wow was like. The guys who made Guild wars used to work for Blizzard.

Calliers likes this.
  18. manuniac

manuniac New Member

It is pure addiction(I should know I am a Heroin addict,on a sustained treatment program,so basically not buying street stuff).All addictions are the same,they all stop you thinking about your life,about how crap it is,about what you should of done.I'm also a book addict I take 1 everywhere,so I don't have to sit and think on buses or wherever I'm stopped and on my own.
    There are a hell of a lot of people out there now with addictive personalities,and it's a lot more prevalent because of the ammount of free time we all have in the developed world.
    It's just another form of addiction,and the other things YAYitsAndrew said are a big factor aswell.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  19. Vikingod

The two aren't really comparable except on the most basic level. In both, you have missions to complete and a character to do them with, and that's about where the similarities end. Each has it's own pros and cons.

Personally, I find Guild Wars to be just as fun and much less of a grind. Most of the missions/quests, especially those with the expansions, are more interesting to play. I usually just jump on a play a couple missions/quests, so it's nice to be able to enjoy them. Gear in WoW is obviously more important and adds to the appeal of the game, but makes into a grind as well.

PvP wise, for me WoW is better. The GW PvP is far to competitive and difficult to just jump into for a quick round. WoW is very accessable that way, and can actually be quite fun.

That said, if WoW were free, I would probably play it. The community in WoW is a bit more interesting than the GW folks, if you're in the right server. But given how much I play, it makes no sense to pay a monthly fee. There is plenty of material in GW that I've not seen and if I need to kill an hour before bed, it works for me. However, if you are a guy that plays games 20-30+ hours a week, you could do worse than WoW.

20. Sorrows End

Sorrows End New Member

I'm sure other people have posted a response to the OP's question. But, as I have just returned to DH from a long absence I will try my best to give my take on the WoW phenom.

I started playing MMO's back in early 01' back when Everquest was just released and the only thing people new of MMO's at the time was Ultima Online. EQ came along and completely revamped the way people played MMO's the graphic's were richer, the content was expansive and the pure amount of players that got into it was amazing. I played EQ until I got into the closed beta for World of Warcraft. The first thing that I remember when I logged into WoW was "Wow...this is pretty sweet, but a bit cartoonish". I didn't get hooked really until the full game came out some 7 months later. I begin playing the game not really wanting to get hooked into another game as EQ had already eaten up much of my years at that point.

I began playing WoW and was instantly amazing at how different it was for me then the Closed Beta was. The graphics seemed improved. The servers were far more stable then they ever were (albit some crashes here and there). The general population of the people for the server I was on (Shattered Hand - Horde) was great. Just the overall experience socially was far beyond what I had ever experienced in a game before. After a year or so went by after playing daily for about 4 or 5 hours a day (and not talking to friends/family much). I decided I needed to quit WoW because it was becoming so much of a time sink.

Because at that point in the game there was a ton of stuff to do, none of it which was raiding content. Most of it would be getting a bunch of people together and raiding Alliance towns which was amazingly entertaining and could be a huge time sink if you let it.

I quit WoW until The Burning Crusade came out in which time I fell in love with the idea of a Blood Elf Priest. I quickly leveled my priest from 1-70 (at the time healers were in prime demand and I believe I did may 10-15 quests total from 60-70). I was the first (I believe) Blood Elf Priest to 70 on my server and thus began raiding the high-end content (which at that point most people were at the Kara/SSC stages (very, very pre-nerf). The tiime sink required for this raiding was immense. I was probably spending a good 6+ hours a night 5 or 6 days out of the week raiding content. Upon talking with my girlfriend (who is now my finance incase anyone is wondering) who also played WoW we both realized that the game was taking up way too much time in our lives and we quit again.

I began playing again probably about a year ago. This time my guild is filled with real-life friends. Some who play hardcore and some who play casually. I have found that if you have a guild of people you know it makes the game much less of a time-sink especially if your friends know what they are doing (I'm lucky in that my guild is made up of people who have great knowledge of their classes and play very well).

So really, to answer the OPs question. I believe people get "sucked in" to these types of games because frankly, they are easy to get sucked into. You can basically become your character if you want, you can do basically what you want. All of which some people believe they cannot do in the real-world. Which is why MMO's generally do fairly well in my opinion. It takes some learning and time as does everything in life. But, once you figure out how to balance a game like this with your real-life the game is quite amazing.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
    Calliers likes this.