What is it with World Of Warcraft?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Aug 23, 2008.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Sorrows End, I appreciate the indepth answer. It fascinates me especially the last paragraph "becoming the character" and "doing what you can't do in the real world".

It really is a phenomenon even if I find it personally a little baffling :)

2. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

I've played for almost two years now, Its been really the only game I've played. My Main character I've played for 101 days, thats 2400+ Played hours. You can say I am/was addicted. But at this point its starting to lose its hold on me I think. Ive played in a raiding guild for the last year 4 raids a week 4 hours a raid. Killed Every major raid boss in every 25 man instance. But now with the oncoming expansion pack its like ill have to start over again, I have some of the best armor in the game and come level 76 ill be replacing it with easy to get blue quality items.

Currently while in game I just idle in Major cities bored, talking to randoms and guildies, But still no 360 game I have I want to play.

3. toothman

toothman New Member

I've been playing WoW since release and the game has shifted towards a much more casual-friendly environment. 2 years ago, people who played for only 1 or 2 hours a day found themselves trapped in the leveling process for up to 6 months at a time. After that, it was all about instance grinding for gear, and meeting the resistance requirements for endgame dungeons. Not to mention along the way, you have to save your money for your mounts. Back in the days, if you played WoW and wanted to get somewhere, then you had to play at least 40 hours a week.

It's different now. Personally, I have never played more than 20 hours a week after Burning Crusade release. My guild made it to Felmyst in sunwell (the hardest content in the game) before quitting to take a break for the next expansion. We as a guild raid 12 hours a week for 3 nights, and a few members simply don't play the game anymore than that 12 hours. Others play an hour or two a day outside raiding time, but that's about it. I hardly call that a gaming addiction, given the fact that people spend way more time on XBL games (Halo 2).

For the people who died playing WoW... that's their own damn fault for being so stupid. It's the same as blaming the fast food chains for obesity when it's people's own eating habits that gets them where they are. There are over 10 million subscribers to WoW, the largest gaming community on this planet. There are bound to be people in this community who does stupid things like playing the game so much that they forgot to eat.

4. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

I used to play WoW.
    Bought the game and started playing, got up to about level 36 and ran out of game time. One evening i asked a friend to sign me up for the burning crusade expansion while he was off school the next day, so when i came back from school i could pick up a game card and carry on playing. He offered to level my character for me while i was at school and i accepted.

Turns out i didn't have enough cash for a game card so i let him carry on levelling while i was playing CS:S. Because his tendency to use hacks and bots with WoW has landed him in it more than once the instant he logged on to my account blizzard drew a bead on him and blew my account to pieces.
    I was permanently banned from the game because someone that had used a hack before logged on to my account, i was pissed off and could have quite happily punched the account admins' lights out when i got the email back (after i'd sent him a HUGE email describing every detail of the last few days of my gameplay THAT HE ASKED FOR up until i got banned trying to pass it off as an account hack) saying he was sorry but it wasn't happening.

I started a new account and levelled up to about level 39, got my mount when the level came down to 30 but it got to the point where i'd log on, look at my xp bar and think "why do i do this shit" and log straight back off again.

WoW is tedious, boring and full of retards.
    It lost it's appeal very quickly to me. Go fire up CS:S and play a real game imo.

5. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

you think you are a WOW fanatic? check this guy out (36 accounts)

A lot have asked me, why create so many? The main reason is to invade Stormwind and Ironforge when they reach top level. I’m sure the Alliance will put up a big fight when that happens. We’ll see how it goes. If they don’t make level 70 before Wrath of the Lich King, then it will be at level 80. That is my main goal. That will probably happen after I’ve got some PvP gear from the battlegrounds. I’m also planning to do some 25 and 10 man raid instances but that is secondary to my PvP goal. Of course I’ll be doing arenas too to build up PvP gear but I’m not expecting to do that great there because I’m way behind in gear right now. I need to get to level 70 first, then level 80 and by then I will probably have all green gear while most others have been doing the battlegrounds and arenas.
    It costs me exactly $5711 in subscription costs per year with 36 accounts on the 6 month pay schedule. Not bad considering I’m looking at it like it’s a hobby and there are more expensive hobbies out there than World of Warcraft.
    32 of my shaman are level 61. One shaman that I had before I started the 32 is at level 70 along with 8 other level 70 classes that I had. My mage, priest and druid are in the center of the circle of shaman in the pictures but they are kind of hard to see. I’ve also got some mages and priests that I’m currently working on that are level 23. Once they are at level 31.9, I will stop working on them, get 16 of them to level 60 with the recruit-a-friend bonus levels and work on the shaman again.
    When Wrath of the Lich King is released, I plan to be at the store when it opens and will purchase 36 copies of it. With tax, it should be about $1500 for all of them. Then the shaman are on their way to level 80 along with the priest, druid and mage.
    By the way, I have 9 level 80 shaman created on the Murmur PvP realm in the Wrath of the Lich King beta. I mainly tried it out to see how well my computers would work as they are. With the exception of one my desktop computers, I should be fine with the hardware that I have.
    I use 3 addons in the game. CT_MapMod is used to give me locations for quests, etc. ClassIcons is another addon that I use to show the class of the target. It helps for PvP encounters. Then the last addon I use is SSPVP2 which is excellent for displaying timers and other things while in the battlegrounds.
    For my keys to send to all instances of WoW on my 11 computers, I use Octopus 1.3.2. Maximizer in Octopus allows me to start up all WoW instances at the same time or any individual instance such as if a WoW instance has crashed. It also allows me to shutdown all of the computers at the same time.

WoW Whore Has 36 Accounts, Raids by Himself | Ripten Video Game Blog

[​IMG]

6. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

That is just ..... er...... he needs some help... It seems that he don't have life just WoW :(

7. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

So, you've found my dirty little secret...

That is terribly pathetic though.

8. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

holy shizzle o.o
    maybe he needs some real friends

9. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

WTF that is just in the extreme zone, this guy really needs help!! Someone should introduce him to a psychiatrist. lol

10. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

I can see it happening, especially with the typical "geek" or "nerd" - or just anyone who feels the need to escape from their life - the ability to become someone else for a few hours (or more) a day can be very appealing to some people

personally I don't really want to try MMO games, I'll probably get addicted (have a bit of an addictive personality, one of the reasons why i don't drink), and I whole heartedly agree with "I'll quit for the day when i reach this level/get this item" statements earlier - far too many times I've said that to myself in single player games, only to keep playing to the next goal.

another concept this thread has made me think about is second life... the whole point of which confuses the hell out of me

11. ferret2004

ferret2004 Active Member

The cool thing about WoW is that me and the Mrs play together almost everyday :cool:

12. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

It's already in the name isn't it: Second Life.
    Although I can't understand the concept of the whole 'game' either.. is it überhaupt a game? :confused:

13. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

First of all, I love the idea and have since before it was a PC game, etc
    I love the artwork and creativity that went into it.
    I generally enjoy the challenges because my needs are fairly simple
    I can step away from the game whenever I want to.
    but I have noticed that to conquer the gaming addiction, gamers must be able to:

We admitted we were powerless over gaming- that our lives had become unmanageable

Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity

Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to a higher power as we understand it must be.

Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of all of our past games.

Admitted to ourselves, and to another "real" human being the exact nature of our problem.

Were entirely ready to have a real person help us remove all these defects of character

Humbly admit to anyone real that we need to work on a way to remove our shortcomings

Made a list of all persons we have ignored, and became willing to make amends to them all

Learn to recognise that too much of a good things is actually a bad thing, and the temporary dismisal of all that is not real to enjoy fantasy is that and nothing more and that it isnt real life.

Right...sorted then...

where was I..

ah yes...

I really love Warhammer and look forward to future versions in the near future..

right now, Fable II captures my interest.

btw I really dont game at all, but warhammer has rekindled my interest, and that is alot for something that is a bit dated.

14. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

It isn't that good, but like any MMO it steals your soul, hell I was a reg here until that bastard game got me.

What's worse is now that that now I have broken my WoW addiction, Warhammer online has came, and...well lets just say that I haven't played many other games for the last month.

DAMN MMO BASTARDS!
    Now thats a game I don't get, I was discussing Second Life with my boss this week and we came to the agreement that gaming is meant to escape reality, not emulate it.

15. Tril

Tril Triple screen racing ftw

I never played any MMO until two months ago. I always thought I would never try them because I don't want to pay the monthly fee and because I think I might have a bit of an addictive personality.

I won Age of Conan on a forum contest (not here) about two months ago. The first month was free so I started to play. I now have six different characters of different classes with levels ranging from 10 to 47. Now that I've started playing, I think it would be a shame to stop playing until I've got a character or two to level 80 to be able to experience what the game has to offer up to the end. That may be the thinking that makes a lot of people continue to play. My plan is to take a character to level 80 and then to drop the game after playing a bit at that level.

I would not say that I'm addicted. I play about one evening out of three. Less than that and I feel like I'm wasting the monthly fee, more than that and I get tired of the game.

You level up fast in Age of Conan. You can level up to level 20 in about I'd say 20 to 30 hours. After that, each level takes about 5 to 7 hours to get. That means that to get to level 80, it takes about 300 to 400 hours. At 5 hours of play per day, it takes 2 to 3 months to level a character completely. There are twelve classes so if someone wanted to try them all, it would take 2 years to 3 years. As long as the game makers can keep the players hooked, it's a cash cow.

I like to get involved in doing what I would call productive work like completing personal projects (could be programming, electronics or mechanics related) or learning useful stuff (learning a third language, learning how to repair a broken oscilloscope, learning to play a music instrument). Once I complete something like that, I feel like I've accomplished something that will help me in life and like I did not waste my time.

I don't think an MMO will give me that satisfaction. Once I've spent hundreds hours of play, I'll eventually delete my account and all my characters and I think I'll feel a bit frustrated and empty in the end.

16. fenix629

fenix629 New Member

Even though the OP has had tons of responses already, I figure I'll throw my story in there too.

I was in the "can't go out, playing WoW" group. Having never played another MMO before I was quite surprised that I got addicted to it. What attracted me to it was actually the Warcraft 3 single-player campaign storyline; which was very well done imo.

That being said, after playing the beta for about 15 minutes I decided that this was the coolest game ever made and I had to play it. I bought the game on opening day and subscribed immediately despite saying that I would NEVER pay monthly for a game in my entire life.

2 years later I found myself to be one of the infamous WoW hermits. For those that played the game, I worked my character to be Rank 14 as well as making raiding and completing my Tier 2 set. I quit before I could start up on my Tier 3. To achieve that required me to play almost ~9-12 hours a day for quite some time. Yeah, unreal isn't it? Let's just say sunlight wasn't kind on the eyes.

So what got me to do all that? Despite the great world design, lore behind the game (Warcraft 1,2,3), and just an easier game to play system requirements wise, I would have to attribute a lot of my early addiction to the difficulty level.

From what I've gathered from friends, WoW is one of the 'easier' MMOs to level, and I think Blizzard did a fantastic job tweaking the overall difficulty level. Bonuses such as 'rested experience', no XP penalty from dying are all great methods to keep gamers from getting discouraged. The rested XP grants 200% experience from killing monsters, giving the player that little boost to think "I can do more".

Blizzard also did a great job teasing players with Warcraft lore. Having gryphons fly players over higher level zones with tons of lore behind it (ie. Blackrock Mountain in Burning Steppes) only makes players want to get to that level so they can see what the big fuss is about.

So what kept me going once I've seen all the content? People. Sure enough Blizzard made some things mandatory to be done in a group so meeting people is a must.

I couldn't really consider myself to be completely anti-social while playing that game, because of the interactions with other players. If you ask most players today why they still play, I'm sure many of them will say because of other players.

Going to have to cut it short here as my homework break is now over. I think I've gone off topic several times but it's late(early?) and I'm tired. I'll finish my post up later if you're still interested.

Sorry if none of it makes any sense. :sleep:

17. Razgriz

Razgriz Intelligence?

Been playing for 2.5 years. Statements such as "Raiding leads to no life" are severely exaggerated, at least in my experience. Before the most recent patch i was raiding 2-3 hours a week on Illidan (the then end-game boss). Did it take time to perfect this? Yes, it did, but not as much as one would think. The number of hours you spend raiding is more often than not reliant on 24 other people who can understand basic strategy and to execute said strategy. I still maintain a very active social life, and hold a job where at a bare minimum work 48 hours over a 6 days period ( 10-7). It's all really dependant on your time management skills, and with anything addictive, self control.

18. sterben

sterben New Member

I play it.
    Really it's a fun game, you quest, enjoy the lore, raid with friends and your guildies, have a great time, etc.
    Just play occasionally, just don't let the game get to you.

19. johnnymc

johnnymc New Member

i used play WoW but never liked it i like my first person shooters Such as source on the other hand i have a friend that just recently started playing wow and it become a drug for him dont see how this happens to poeple.

20. rutora

rutora New Member

i like this game but i don't have enough time to play it.