What is the best most user frendly anti virus software out there?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Cow_160483, Sep 19, 2008.

1. OmegaRED

OmegaRED Relapsed Gamer

I put Microsoft's Security Essentials on my family members PC's and they seem to really like it. I may end up swapping Nod32 out for it on my PC if the program continues to get stellar reviews.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Security essentials seem pretty good, it's easy and low overhead, but I don't know about it's real time protection because I don't end up on sites where I would need it much. I've heard it's good for this, just never experienced it personally........

3. CitySlicker

CitySlicker Banned

Get the free MS Security Essentials - it works well and is much lighter than Avast on system resources!

MSE caused some trouble with Comodo...once removed all was well and the system is much better responsive.

4. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

Trusteft likes this.
  5. vicsrealms

vicsrealms New Member

I picked up the three year family pack for Avast when I built my Windows Home Server system and I absolutely enjoy the fact that I don't really have to worry about it. Sure I will right click on newly downloaded programs and have the program scan it, but Avast pretty much scans your system without bothering you about it. Very nice abuser friendly virus program. Doesn't even eat up a lot of resources either.

6. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Could be just me or my brushes with Linux but Using a Microsoft product to
    secure Microsoft product seems a little bit absurd to me. Having used Norton
    antivirus for years, MacAfee, kaspersky and many others over the years. I’ve
    settled on Avast. It’s good, light and best of all it can be used free for home
    users.

Also in my opinion all anti viruses should be used with preventive and anti
    spyware/malware tools like lavasoft ad aware S&D Spybot and spywareblaster.
    Should be all most people need othen then a basic firewall.

7. CitySlicker

CitySlicker Banned

Do you really think it's safer (more secure) to not use a Microsoft tool on a Windows platform, ahem?

Not sure you have a point here.

8. supafly

supafly New Member

Dude all the experimenting on that machine can lead to the hard drive getting damaged from all the formatting and re formatting, but Experimenting is also a Good way to learn what works and what does not.

9. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I heard that particular myth before, but it's not true. Formatting does not damage a hard drive in any way. So, knock yourself out. :)

P.S. Why are we responding to this cold thread?

10. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

I guess the search for the best and easiest and cheapest and most user friendly anti virus will go on for a while...:bleh:

11. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Best: Debatable, arguable, you name it.
    Cheapest: Aside from the free ones, McAfee probably but you get what you pay for.
    User-friendly: Most AVs come with a "Basic" mode now so just check to see if the AV has that.

I'm a bit of a fan but BitDefender does rather well for itself. I've recommended it for my workplace (and we'll probably get it), I use it at home and I recommend it for others.
    You're entitled to the latest version of their product for as long as your license is valid (for example, going from 2009 to 2010), Basic Mode can be customised to be idiot-friendly and it does very well for itself in comparisons (third-party, of course).
    I first became interested in BitDefender when I was scouting around for a new security suite. I stumbled across a website that compared the reliability of the AV scans and, although Kaspersky came top with the amount of viruses detected, BitDefender had the highest percentage of real viruses detected (rather than files that might've been but weren't). Also, it came top (the AV at least) in a side-by-side comparison of a top 10 list that you can easily find through Google.

12. MythicaL

MythicaL I like computers.

If you're smart on the 'nets you really don't need to worry too much. With that said, if shit DOES hit the fan, I keep ClamWin AV handy for manual scans.

Also, passive protection such as SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D's immunization feature seems to help (placebo?) and is probably the easiest protection possible.