What Movie Have You Watched Lately?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Dyre Straits, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Watched The Midnight Sky, excellent movie, 9/10. George Clooney's still got it in him to bring magic to the big screen, pure magic. It's sort of a sci-fi drama, and even if it was the sci-fi aspect that drew me to it and I don't usually watch dramas, I loved the movie.

Trusteft likes this.
  2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Indiana Jones 4 was on TV last night.
    Obviously the weakest of the 4 movies.
    Over reliance on CGI.
    Too much CGI.
    CGI CGI CGI.
    The story was weak, but then again it is weak in most of them. The weakest together with the first IJ movie.
    Having said that, the acting was anything form tolerable to very good. The editing was superb.

Calliers and MIG-31 like this.
  3. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Watched the Little Things with Denzel Washington and Jared Leto .. plays like a seven, silence of the lambs serial killer and ots pretty decent only drawback is the obvious work put in to try and make this a franchise there is a little open ended feel to it but overall pretty damn good

Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  4. Trusteft

I watched the almost first, 15 min of the 1994 Jack Nicholson movie, Wolf. I am not the greatest fan of his, but I do like him.
    I stopped watching because it was late and I knew I wouldn't be able to watch the whole thing.
    I can't remember if I watched this in the 90s or if I just remember watching trailer of it.
    Anyway, those 15 min or so were all I needed to be convinced to add it to my "to buy on bluray" list. I loved the pacing, the sound levels, the what felt like lack of music as a good thing, the acting (Jack, Michelle Pfeiffer, James Spader, Kate Nelligan, Christopher Plummer).

I am not saying it's a masterpiece or anything, but it felt good watching even that few minutes.

Tipstaff and Calliers like this.
  5. Calliers

Watched Coming 2 America, very very good sequel, funny and it captured some of what the original did, although the romance was kind of forced. I give it an 8/10 for the performances as well, and it had a lot of big names who all performed very well, with a lot of people coming back to reprise their roles from the past one. Great stuff. :)

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

At one time the distributor put out a 3 pack of DVD's that included Bram Stoker's Dracula, Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, and Wolf. That's when we first picked them up. So good. Now I watch the Blu-ray's every year.

What sucks is that they lost the right to publish Wolf, so now the pack has Fright Night instead. Great movie, imo, but if anything I would have swapped out Frankenstein for Fright Night. That would have made it an amazing pack.

Edit: BTW, a little piece of info: one of Dracula's brides in the movie... was Monica Bellucci. Bite me, Monica. grawr :)

Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  7. Calliers

Last night, might I add, I watched Guns Akimbo on Amazon Prime, beautiful movie. I was hoping that the two main characters might get together, seeing how sick they both were, but I guess the ending wasn't too bad. Also a 8/10 from me.

8. Trusteft

First of all, thank you for the info. :)

Good news, Wolf is on TV again, tonight at 2300. I don't know if I will be up, lately I go to bed before midnight or around that time. If I have the energy I will watch it.

I tried to watch BS's Dracula when it was released in the cinemas. I went to watch it 3 times. Not because I enjoyed it so much, but because I found myself falling asleep and never actually seeing the whole thing. By the time Dracula was on his way to England, I was on my way to the second dream. Which for me was good enough reason to consider it the worst movie I have ever watched. Followed by Barb Wire. At least Barb Wire I managed to watch the whole thing over two days.

My point was, one day I hope to see Dracula again, by again I mean for the first time. I will just need to have a good supply of caffeine and perhaps I will like it.

I vaguely remember seeing the bundle you mention. I tend to avoid such bundles so I never got it, but right now I wouldn't say no to it.

9. Trusteft

spoilers.

10. Mr Cairo

Watched Coming To America 2 and damn it poor, I loved the first but this is just too late, Started struggling right about when Salt N Pepa and En Vogue appeared, TBH the only bit sI found funny were the flashbacks to the original movie, I finished it because I had nothing else not because I was enjoying it.

How how how did Eddie Murphy stop being funny

Also watched Scare Me and that was a nice take on the traditional campfire ghost stories movie TBH never seen anything quite like it ... ending does not quite land but overall pretty decent.

11. Trusteft

Oh, that's a shame. I haven't watched it yet. I liked the first one very much. (VHS).

12. Calliers

Sorry dude.

13. Trusteft

I was considering watching Wolf, even thought it was starting late at 2300.
    On a different channel Captain Marvel was on , at 2200. Never seen this movie before, or any of the avenger movies as I am not a fan of the genre.
    I have to say I was pleasantly surprised and "fell in love" with Captain Marvel, at least as depicted in the movie which is the only thing I know of. Fun fun fun!

Calliers likes this.
  14. Calliers

For those of you planning to watch Part 2 of Coming to America, I recommend watching part one first, especially if you've never seen it, it is insanely funny, funnier even than the second, a bonafide classic and is also on Amazon Prime Video right now.

Trusteft likes this.
  15. Mr Cairo

I may have gone into it with far to high expectations TBH

16. Trusteft

I wasn't planning, but I caught The Punisher (2004) on TV last night. I did get to watch it when it first came out, though I don't remember where or how.
    Anyway, the movie is definitely a very fun "vigilante justice" movie, with plenty of action and violence. Some good humor and basically zero sexual tension which is a nice breath of fresh air.
    Well...it was back then.
    Good fun movie. 8/10.

Calliers likes this.
  17. Calliers

The Punisher is one of my all time fave action movies. I just love it. I'd give it a 9/10. :p

18. Mr Cairo

I watched the Dolph Lundgren Punisher back in the 80's and thought it was epic years later I revised that to epic for its time

I liked the Thomas Jane Punisher but much less than I thought I would even with the The Russian making an appearance, that fight scene was great

The Ray Stephenson Punisher is the one is the one that stands above the rest for me it embraces the comic book attitude and also has a classic villain, I was quite disappointed this one didn't get a sequel

A blend of all 3 would be superb

Trusteft and Calliers like this.
  19. Trusteft

Never seen it. Or even aware it existed. On my "to buy" list. Thanks.

Calliers likes this.
  20. Trusteft

Last night on TV.
    Hell or High Water (2016)

WOW. Outside of sci-fi movies and those which look like theatrical plays (12 Angry Men, The Man from Earth, etc), I love this type of film.
    The cinematography, the pace, the acting, everything just wow!
    The movie is about a couple of bank robbers in modern times, set in Texas.
    The story is ok, nothing special, but the execution was so good I couldn't stop watching.

Calliers likes this.