What smartphone or Tablet do you use?

Discussion in 'Smartphone & Tablets Discussion / Support' started by Teme, May 25, 2011.

1. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

You know, personally, for me I have never seen the need for a tablet.

What do you use your tablet for? For everything mobile off my main rig I just use one of my laptops.

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

You forget that I play Pokemon GO! on my cellphone. So, while dining...usually...I have my phone playing the game, use my tablet for news, email, FB, videos...whatever suits my fancy at the moment. There's a multitude of things I can do on the tablet while my cellphone is being used for something else. :D

It's called, "Multi-tasking". :)

3. Calliers

Cool beans.

I guess I didn't see that or even think of it because all I really use my phone for is communication. Lol. :)

Dyre Straits likes this.
  4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I do use mine for that, too! :)

Calliers and IvanV like this.
  5. Calliers

Just sold my Huawei P20, was keeping it in reserve in case anything happened to my Samsung Galaxy S10, but decided what the hey, might as well sell it for some extra cash.

6. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I made a (half-)impulse purchase the other day by pre-ordering the new Xiaomi Pad 5 (review by GSM Arena). In my defense, my current tablet is a Lenovo Tab 4 8", which is 3.5 years old, has a cracked screen and struggles with web browsing and I have wanted to replace it with something both newer and bigger for a while.

That's a pretty expensive sport around here as the tablet prices are grossly overinflated. For instance, that article I linked to lists several alternatives to the Pad 5, but, in Serbia, they are either unavailable (Realme Pad), or cost closer to 500€ than to 300 (iPad 10.2", Lenovo Pad Pro). So when I saw the pre-orders for this device at just under 300€ (which is a pre-order discount, as it will normally cost 350) I was tempted and when, only a few hours later, I saw that the white one was already gone, I pulled the trigger. I am yet to receive it, as it will ship after it officially goes on sale next week.

BTW, a bit of a side note, when looking at the alternatives, I originally overlooked the Samsung S6 Lite that the article mentions and it's actually the one sensible alternative that exists in Serbia. It's similarly priced (actually slightly more expensive than what I paid where I live, but the difference is not crucial) and it has both a few downsides and a few trump cards. On the minus side, the screen of the Samsung is slightly smaller and of a lower grade (no HDR and no high refresh rate mode), it has less RAM and internal storage, and the SoC is slower, but those are not necessarily deal breakers: the SoC is still adequate and similar can be said about the amount of RAM, 4GB, and internal storage, 64GB + an SD card slot (which the Xiaomi lacks). The advantages (apart from the microSD support) are that it comes bundled with the S Pen (sold separately for the Xiaomi) and, as of recently, supports the DeX mode where it switches to a PC-like UI, allowing you to have multiple apps on screen at the same time, using drag and drop and right clicking. It also has a 3.5mm jack. There is also an LTE enabled variant of the S6 Lite (again, something that the Xiaomi doesn't have), but that one (at least in Serbia) is up there in that 500€ price range, which is way too much.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to receiving the device and I'll probably add something when that happens.

EDIT:
    first impressions
    further impressions

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    Calliers likes this.