What smartphone or Tablet do you use?

Discussion in 'Smartphone & Tablets Discussion / Support' started by Teme, May 25, 2011.

1. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Might have a look and see if there is something like that avaliable.

Right now I'm mainly annoyed with the battery life, I have to charge it every day. My N97 only needed charging twice a week, and I'm using the Xperia less because it eats power so fast.

2. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

get used to charging every day if you're a heavy user, with pretty much any modern smartphone. we're long past the days of the Nokia brick battery life i'm afraid mate :(

3. Calliers

Calliers Administrator/Editor Staff Member

If manufacturers wanted they could put in batteries that last a long time, they just work by the usual adage "slowed development, maximized profits" so it'll take a while before they start to use better batteries for current smart phones.

4. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yes but why WILLINGLY make it easier for them?

Thats just stupid in my opinion.....

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Actually, I've often wondered if the lack of battery life wasn't an effort to limit bandwidth use. ;)

Anyway, I haven't had a phone over the past two years that didn't need charging at least every day. When I got my first current phone, the battery was draining after only 3-4 hours!!! That was totally unacceptable and they swapped out that phone for the one I have now. I'm able to get over 12 hours use now without having to charge it up. But, I put it on the charger every night before going to bed.

6. Dyre Straits

I've become totally exasperated with the performance of my Samsung Galaxy Indulge! And, I do not believe it's the fault of the phone.

I'm so frustrated with the lack of SIGNAL stability that I'm ready to sign with a different carrier and, if things don't improve TREMENDOUSLY in the next week, I'll likely be doing that by mid-March.

So far, the 4G LTE experience has been a full failure as far as my experience is concerned. All too often the 4G icon is present with at least 3 bars showing strength, but, just as soon as I try to use it, that 4G icon will switch to 3G....then to 1x....and, in too many cases, completely vanish from the screen.

Trying to open up an app can present me with a frozen loading icon while all the while I'm seeing the battery life indicator getting smaller.

The phone has been replaced once already (see previous post) but I honestly don't believe the phone is the problem. I spoke with a co-worker earlier tonight and she has the same experience with the same carrier but on a totally different 4G phone.

Soooo....that brings up a question:

What carrier do you use and ARE YOU HAPPY with it?

7. Dyre Straits

Those of you using units with a slider keyboard, Have you had any instances of the phone going dead when opening/closing the slider?

My Indulge just started doing this on occasion both opening and closing it. And, even once in awhile when it's on the charger at home.

I've notified the customer rep but just curious as to whether this is a problem with anyone else' unit.

BTW, I've been able to get this phone to perform MUCH better by doing a manual/forced Factory Reset. It's been a totally different experience since my last post on the subject.

8. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

I still have the original droid phone. I have loaded a custom 2.3.7 ROM on it as well.

[​IMG]

I'm out of contract right now, and as soon as I can afford it, I plan on going to the Droid 4 :)

No, this has never happened to me. My gf has the same phone I have and she's never had this problem before either.

9. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Never had any issues with the keyboar either, it works just as it should. If there's any problem with it it's because of my big fat fingers and nothing else. :p

One thing I really love with this phone is that I can set it up as a WiFi hotspot. With my old phone I always had to connect it through USB to my laptop to get out on the internet using the phone as a modem, with this my phone just stays in my pocket and I don't need to bother with it at all.

One big issue I had that I didn't really notice at first was that importing all contacts from my N97 wasn't as easy as I thought it was. After a while I noticed that not all contacts had any numbers in them. This was not the fault of Android, nor am I sure it was the fault of Symbian either.. I'd rather believe it's because Windows Contacts isn't really working as intended.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  10. Reckless187

Reckless187 New Member

Just got the One X on the 5th.

[​IMG]

11. Dyre Straits

I was able to get the phone replaced...the one that was going dead when opening/closing the slider.

BUT, due to an ongoing lack of signal in the area/s I spend a lot of time in, I'm changing carriers. I'll have essentially the same kind of phone as the Indulge, it will be the Epic, instead.

I'm just hoping I'm not jumping from the frying pan into the fire. I currently am on a month-to-month plan/no contract. To get the new carrier, it requires a 2-year contract. BUT, there's a 14 day period where I can return it for full refund if I'm not satisfied. I'm sure I'll be able to tell if I get any improved service within a few days...won't take two weeks to figure it out.

12. abby normal

abby normal Member

I'm using an iPhone 4S for a month now. I still keep my LG-droid in my desk just in case I don't love the apple.... HA HA

13. CDsDontBurn

Android > Windows Phone > iPhone

'nuff said.

Reckless187 likes this.
  14. Dyre Straits

FWIW, I did make the change a week ago and, after one week I'm already quite pleased with how things are going.

For one, if there is no 4G signal available, this new phone at least works quite well on the 3G network. It seems my previous phone only wanted to work if 4G was available. That's even though it was designed to work on 3g and even 1X if 4G wasn't there.

Now, if I could only get the battery to last more than 5 - 6 hours! Since I'm in the car so much, I do put it on the car charger a lot during the work shift.

15. CDsDontBurn

Have you thought into looking for an extended battery? That might be the option you'll have to go for making the battery lasting longer.

Reckless187 likes this.
  16. Dyre Straits

Actually, yes. And, it arrived Monday. It does last longer, too.

The one that came with the phone is a 1500 mAh and the new one is 1800. I think I'm getting between 2 - 3 hours more use with it.

17. CDsDontBurn

were there other battery packs available for your phone or was that the only one?

18. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I hear that Steve W. Uses Lumia 900 and since finally today I had chance to play with one I now know why he has one :D

19. CDsDontBurn

I picked up an LG vs840 4G, AKA the LG "Lucid" over the weekend. Mainly because my original droid died, lol. I really wanted the Droid 4, but I just couldn't afford it.

Oh well, maybe next time I could get it.

20. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

I just made pre-order for my new phone. Guess what it is ;)