What smartphone or Tablet do you use?

Discussion in 'Smartphone & Tablets Discussion / Support' started by Teme, May 25, 2011.

1. Gastrian

Gastrian New Member

Still rocking my launch Omnia 7. First time I've had a phone I didn't see the need to upgrade after two years.

2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I've had my Xperia Pro for a little over a year now and there is one thing that bugs me with it, internal memory. After installing a few apps it's more or less full and starts complaining about it. Moving them to the card doesn't really help much.

Next phone I'll be checking this bit more carefully.

3. lumpi

lumpi New Member

Samsung Galaxy S3 and LG lucid 4G are my smartphones. :)

4. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

Hey! I have one of those phones!!!

5. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

6. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Got a Nexus 4 a month ago, loving it :) Had some fun at work by accessing Netflix US via Unotelly DNS (I'm from Denmark, so requires a DNS service like UnoDNS to access US services like Netflix US) on my Nexus 4 and transferring the video wireless via Miracast to a Netgear PTV3000 (remember to update firmware, or else it wont work), which was connected to a TV.

Love that good working alternatives to AirPlay is starting to show up and hope the open nature of eg. Miracast, will make it easier to use in business networks, where AirPlay is pretty much useless.

7. Jaswinder

Jaswinder New Member

I am using Galaxy Y :)

8. fancccc

fancccc TONY SOPRANO

LG Optimus One, but I think I'm gonna change it for HTC Sensation :D

9. RobertBruce

RobertBruce Active Member

Just finally retired my epic 4g (which was the sprint version of the original galaxy s) for the Galaxy s4. It's pretty decent. Though one of the greater new features, adaptive sound, only works with samsung's music player.

10. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

Got a new cellphone a while ago, a Sony Xperia Go, and so far I'm happy with it. It's snappy enough and I also use it as a secondary music player (for when I don't want to carry multiple devices with me), secondary digital camera and ebook reader as well as an internet browser for when I'm not at home and don't have my laptop with me.

11. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I finally moved over to using a smartphone also for calls, after having gotten me an LG Optimus 4X HD. It's about the least expensive fully modern (except for no 4G/LTE which I have no need for) Android smartphone, that can be bought without a carrier contract around here. 4,7" 1280 IPS display and Tegra 3 means everything looks great and flies along. I wouldn't want to spend more than what I did on any other phone, so it was either something like it or wait. Any unit that is significantly better like the HTC One (would like its camera and superb speakers) costs twice as much, and that's a silly amount of money for me. I'd barely dare to carry it around.

I've rooted the unit to get more control over the Tegra 3 CPU and have disabled two of the four cores just to see if that might save some battery. Doesn't make a huge difference but everything (except benchmarks) runs as fast with just two cores and I'm not going to play games on it. There is a CyanogenMod ROM package for it but so far with the official 4.1.2 Android it feels good enough. I've read that early LG customers have had to wait a long time for updates, but today at least all is well.

I must say except for the initial awkward feeling, 4,7" is not too big for a smartphone after all. Yes, it barely fits in my pockets but using it for anything else than making calls is a so much better experience. I have been considering starting to wear a wrist watch again though, lol.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  12. Calliers

I mainly wear wrist watches for fashion these days as when I want to check the time I usually pull out my phone rather than check my wrist first. Although sometimes when I don't have my phone on me then it's cool to have a watch on my wrist because I can use that.

13. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

on paper i thought 4.7" was ridiculous, but within a few days of owning one it suddenly starts to make sense
    wouldn't want to go bigger though
    (seriously, folk with that Sammy Note thing must carry a man bag always, right ? cos you don't put that in your pocket..)

14. Calliers

I know right? I mean that thing is -ridiculous-. And they're calling it a phone. :rolleyes:

15. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I'm still using the Epic 4G and can't wait to get rid of SPRINT! It should be named, HALT! The signals in our otherwise very technically equipped metro area are so prone to dropping that the phone is sometimes totally worthless.

It locks up while on the charger or in the holster and does it at the worst possible time, too. I've had it back to Sprint not long ago totally expecting that they were going to replace it.

NADA! They said there's nothing wrong with it and simply did a factory reset.

I sent an email to the tech two weeks ago requesting it be looked at again. I'm still waiting on a reply.

The phone has a very decent camera, though. :rolleyes:

16. Liqourice

I'm fairly content with my Xperia Pro. The only real issue I have with it is the internal memory, it's just not enough. When the time comes for me to renew my subscription I'll have a careful look at the options.

17. Dyre Straits

In what way is it not enough? I've opted to move as many installed apps as I can to the SD card on my Epic 4G. Can you not do the same?

18. Liqourice

I've moved all apps that I can move without using hacks to move the rest. I prefer not to root my phone, I'm not all that confident in the safety of doing that.

Problem is, I have to uninstall apps everytime another one is to be updated, otherwise it fails. Even if the update is 7-8MB in size it requires 110+ MB free to be able to do the update.
    I'd like to uninstall the facebook app completely since I don't use it but I can't which I find idiotic. There's also some golf game that came pre-installed that I can't remove either. It's extremely annoying not being able to remove stuff I don't need or want.

I made a mistake when I got this phone as well. I should have replaced the 8GB SD with a bigger one as soon as I got the phone. It's almost full now and it will be an extreme hassle to replace it.

19. Dyre Straits

I've had a few updates that failed due to lack of memory and such. So, rather than do updates anymore, I just uninstall the app that needs updating and then install it again fresh. That seems to work quite well.

But, yes, trying to get rid of things you don't really use/need and can't...because it's part of the "system" is lame.

I can also back-up and restore from my PC using USB. I would assume you could do that if you wanted to go to a larger SD card.

20. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

There's a software bug that can aggrevate the problem with some phones having very limited space for applications, that will make app updates fail when there's actually plenty of space for an individual update. A solution is to wipe the java "Dalvik cache" to let the Android OS rebuild it. I've had to do that a few times on my ZTE Blade. Unfortunately the regular methods I know of to wipe the Dalvik cache without touching anything else requires root access.