What smartphone or Tablet do you use?

Discussion in 'Smartphone & Tablets Discussion / Support' started by Teme, May 25, 2011.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Wow your score buries my S3 score :)

Screenshot.jpg

2. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I just entered the smartphone era myself, and got myself a cheapie Xperia E1. I hardly call or send texts, but I still need to be reachable. This serves fine. Does about a 2 weeks on a charge. :)

3. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

My Z3 is the same. If I hardly touch it and it just sits I rarely have to charge. Haven't really tried it but from experience I could probably go for 10-12 days without charging if I just let it be and make/recieve some short phonecalls. Battery life is really impressive if I compare to my old Xperia Pro and my old N97.

4. Lunete Ainsworth

Lunete Ainsworth New Member

So I got my Samsung Note 4, I see nothing special it's just bigger in size :cool:

Calliers likes this.
  5. clubrope

clubrope Active Member

broke my old phone. just got an iphone 6 and trying to learn what I can about it - i don't like reading the manual.

Calliers likes this.
  6. relishape

relishape New Member

Hi, I got two phones:)... I have Samsung Duos and an iPhone 4S. Those are both good and working fine.

7. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Will be getting a phone end month, still haven't chosen which one though.

8. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Made the jump to Android from my trusty C902 (James Bond, Quantum of Solace, just the plain black version though)

Now Huawei Y330 (couldn't resist the price, it was 10 quid as a PAYG upgrade) - had been looking at the Sony Z's, but decides to try an Android cheapie first.

And it's not bad for a cheap phone - unlike my stupid 7" tablet (8GB with just 800MB as APP), though the phone is only 4GB, it has about 2GB left which is ALL available as APP space, so slap a card in it and it's far better than the tablet for usable storage.

And now upgraded the SD card from an 8GB Sandisk class 4 from my Kodak ZM1, to a 16GB Sandisk Ultra - and it DOES do UHS-1 speed ... reads at 39.8MB/s which is not far off the "up to 48MB/s"

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  9. Lisa Quach

Lisa Quach New Member

I am using HTC One M9+. It is a fantastic phone. A real smart-phone.

10. clubrope

clubrope Active Member

I have 2 smart phone, an iPhone 6 and a Galaxy S6. One for personal use and one for work.

11. NicholasNikz

NicholasNikz New Member

I own an iPhone and Galaxy Note 4. I love both Android and iOS :D Looking to switch to Nexus 6 though

12. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Well, my Huawei Y330 didn't last long (still working as a spare), but an unmissable deal on an Xperia Z1 came up...
    Feel the screen size, feel the resolution, and a camera that an upgrade rather than a downgrade on what I was using before.

I'd been threatening to go for a Sony Xperia Z-something, and originally favoured the compact, but with the Z1 and Z1 compact the same price at Sony outlet, thought ... bigger is better, having got used to something a bit bigger than what I had been using.

13. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

My Cubot GT99 met an untimely end after a reeeally nasty fall (strangely enough, the screen wasn't damaged, although it's not Gorilla Glass or anything like that).

I got a Microsoft Lumia 640 Dual SIM (unfortunately, the LTE Dual SIM variety is still not available in Serbia). I got the glossy white variety and I am really satisfied with both look and feel. It's slightly bigger than my last phone, with a 5" screen instead of a 4.5" one, and that seems a wee bit too large for my small, girlie hands. I am surprised at how much (pleasantly) bigger it seems visually, though.

First impressions about call quality and GPS reception are excellent and the camera seems to be pretty good as well.

The UI is snappy and fairly good and I was able to import my Android contacts, although the way wasn't immediately obvious (and a lot of people never discover it, as top Google results were providing unnecessarily complicated solutions, and the capability is actually provided out of the box). I do miss some things from Android's UI, though, such as being able to grab and pull the slider on the Contacts screen, instead of just flick to croll, or search.

I am also surprised that the built in keyboard doesn't have a Serbian dictionary (it simply doesn't exist), as Android has had it for ages. The non-predictive Serbian keyboard also doesn't have letters č, š and ž, instead it has the ˇ "modifier button", which I also find strange.

Lastly, the bundle: there isn't one. All I got inside the box, aside from the phone itself, were the quick start brochure and the power adapter. No hands free earphones, and I'm quite used to getting them even with 30-40€ dumbphones. I very rarely use them, though, so not a huge deal. The power adapter has a non-detachable cable, which means you don't get a cable with which to hook the device to a PC (either to transfer data or to charge the device). That's quite cheap of them, but luckily, I do have a few micro USB cables lying about. The charger instantly felt really cheap, though, with one of the thinnest cables I've seen in a while. I don't know if it's a regular thing, but mine also emits a buzzing sound while in use and gets fairly hot (and it's just a 750mA model). Luckily, nowadays we have standardized chargers, so I guess that the 1000mA Energizer unit will keep it's job as my main charger. So, no bundle is no deal-breaker, but it is a slight disappointment.

And those are the first impressions. In short, a reasonably priced smartphone that looks and feels like a high class device. It is let down a little (and lags behind Android devices of any price) with the lack of care for the users from the smaller markets and also by the bundle which is not just poor, but I wouldn't even feel safe using the supplied charger.

14. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

A few more thoughts after another 24h.

I complained, but Windows Phone actually has decent options for navigating long lists, they are just different from those on Android.

The dialer is a definite let-down, though, as it has no search function (on Android, if you type 645, it will offer you all contacts that have the sequence 645 in their phone numbers, as well as names that contain appropriate letters; on WP, it does no such thing).

Glance screen is supposed to be a super-cool feature, but you can only add detailed preview for one app and small previews for no more than 5 (and the user has to pre-define the five apps from which Glance screen will accept notifications). Small previews only show that an event has occurred (i.e. you have one unread message), nothing more. With the notifications being tiny, the 5 slots limitation makes no sense. Also, on a dual SIM phone, dialer and message apps for the two SIMs are separate by default. That means that those essential "apps" occupy 4 out of 5 slots and you can choose only one more app which was a problem for me (email, Skype, Viber...). Fortunately, I discovered that you can combine the two dialers and messengers, only, the way to do it, while not complicated, was not at all obvious to me and I had to google it.

That has been the thing in a few other cases. I'd look for an option I expected to exist, but eventually I had to resort to Google.

Also, given the choice, go for the LTE variety. The original and the LTE refreshes of the 640 are almost identical, but, apart from 4G support, the LTE versions also come with NFC.

That's it, I'll stop hogging the thread now. :D

EDIT: The Office 365 subscription was a limited time promotion that expired a couple of months ago, unfortunately.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  15. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S5 for about a year and a half now. It has served me well. I would say it's the best phone I've, personally, owned over the past 8-9 years.

Calliers likes this.
  16. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Now I have this

Attached Files:

Calliers likes this.
  17. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I'm still rocking the S3 Galaxy with a beta android OS 5.1.1 still on it.... outside of the fact that i can only take short 720p videos with it (not 1080p).... and that if i attempt to send or receive a text message that includes an image the phone must be rebooted as neither sending or receiving will occur and it kills the network connection permanently.... everything else works great and performs amazingly well.. good battery life provided it's not constantly roaming. (i can be at the farm and it'll keep it's charge for days.... but when i come home which happens to be center of town in a fairly deep well of a hole which basically gives me 0 signal... the phone eats the battery.)

18. ET3D

ET3D Hopeless Dreamer

I'm using a Galaxy Young 2. It's the weakest smartphone I've ever owned (starting with the Motorola DEFY; there were Windows Mobile and Nokia Series 6 phones which were considered smartphones at the time), but it's good enough for my needs, and a lot more enjoyable to use than the Lumia 620 I used before. I never thought a 320x480 screen would be enough, but it's fine for my needs, which are taking calls and reading messages (SMS and WhatsApp).

19. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Recently upgraded my s3 galaxy to Marshmellow 6.0.1 which is working surprisingly well outside of the fact that it's a beta and the only glitch i'm running into is if i attempt to download something through the included browser..... the sucker flies otherwise.

Calliers likes this.
  20. clubrope

clubrope Active Member

Been using Galaxy Note for a year now and don't really have much to complain about (nothing in fact). I just use it for receiving calls and texts and for taking pics here and there. It works quite well for me so I won't be switching to another phone anytime soon.